Miyamoto and Reggie Honour Mario's 25th with Amazing Cake

Posted by James Newton

So emotional even the cake was in tiers

Nintendo's flagship New York store recently re-opened with a brand new Mario-themed design in honour of Super Mario Bros.'s 25th anniversary, and to celebrate it hosted a huge party with two very special guests.

Reggie Fils-Aime and Shigeru Miyamoto made appearances at the event to meet fans, cut the cake and revel in the atmosphere only a plumber's birthday could create. Reggie refused to field questions about the release date and pricing of the 3DS, taking it all in good humour.

Mario speed-runner Andrew Gardikis attempted to replicate his best speed run on the NES classic, aiming to break the five minute barrier in front of Shigeru Miyamoto himself, coaching from the sidelines. Unfortunately he was unable to finish the game, and although some people might put it down to the pressure of performing in front of the father of Mario himself, we've spotted a little mascot in the background who may have made Mario feel even slower than usual. See if you can spot him in the photo below.

grenworthshero

grenworthshero said:

Wow, that picture...I can't imagine how nervous I would be, playing Super Mario Bros. right beside Miyamoto

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Wow. Aiming for a world record right in front of Miyamoto? I'm pretty sure I would've fainted at some point in those five minutes.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

This is why I need to move to New York, I could meet Miyamoto every 5min at that Nintendo World Store. I'd be happy to see him even once...

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

It sounds like a whole lot of fun, I wish I was there. Playing Super Mario Bros. with Miyamoto himself watching me would be so great, even if nerve-wracking!

Nintendo-is-my-love

Nintendo-is-my-love said:

yes so true it should stay like that i ish i lived in new york so i could go hear if only we had one in little old margaret river ha yeah right

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I'd be a nervous wreck but I'd be extremely honored to play in front of Miyamoto-san.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

That is the greatest looking cake of all time. Pretty damn impressive!
And of course that kid couldn't finish the game and beat his previous record, because he had to put up with HD lag.lol I kid I kid, the crazy amount of pressure easily could of screwed anybody up.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Was that at Nintendo World in New York? I'd Love to go back there!!! Also when New Super Mario bros came out the NWS had a great window display, So I'd Love to see if for Super Mario All-Stars.....

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

That is the most awesome cake I have ever seen and I'm not surprised he couldn't complete SMB, that would've been so pressurising,

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

that is such an awesome party. I've seen a lot of amazing cakes before on Cake Boss but this cake definitely takes the cake! :D

Punny

Punny said:

Looks like I'm not the only punny guy around here. MY KIND OF PEOPLE! :)

The news is pretty sweet, too. Playing SMB next to Miyamoto-San is a dream come true... :)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@LuWiiGi: Possible to complete SMB in a mere few minutes. Part of the trick is utilizing the game's some-what inaccurate physics to make great time.

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

CAKE did you say CAKE?????? CAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEEE CAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKE GIVE ME CAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEE :p

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

WOW! Imagine that! Being able to even meet Mr. Miyamoto, let alone play the original SMB in front of him while he helps you out. Just WOAH! I wish I could've been there, it would've been awesome to just shake his hand, thank him for the brilliance that is Mario & get an autograph. & meeting Reggie would be hilarious! :D Ah so much WIN in one small news post :P

Iggy

Iggy said:

I want some of that cake. Im sure it looks better then what it tastes so i dont know if i could destroy a awesome cake such as this.

kikin79

kikin79 said:

the best thing that could happen in my life, playing with miyamoto sam super mario bros. happy birthday mario!!!!!!!!