Meet Snivy, Oshawott and Tepig, Pokemon Fans

Posted by James Newton

Official names for Black and White starters

Regardless of how you feel about Pokémon Black and White's starter Pokémon, at least you now have official names you can call them instead of Smugleaf, Hamferno and The Water One.

Yesterday, the names of the monsters who'll accompany you through thick and thin when the game reaches the Western world next Spring were revealed: the grass type is Snivy, the water option is Oshawott and the fiery pig is known as Tepig.

How do you feel about these English names? Will you be renaming your Pokémon to something more awesome come Springtime?

[via pokemonblackwhite.com]

Tails

Tails said:

I'll stuck with smugleaf for mine. I think he's a cool looking pokemon.

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

Whether or not I like the names of the species isn't in question. I nickname all my Pokemon regardless of species name. To be honest, I like the name Tepig for the starter I'll likely pick...as for nickname, my first choices for each are: Snivy -> Blayder : Tepig -> Corihamder : Oshawott -> Narworter.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I like Snivy. It suits it. So do the others, but Snivy especially.

pikku

pikku said:

what Raylax said.
unfortunetly, I won't be getting either black or white :(

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

I think it's supposed to be pronounced Snive - Ey (Snake + Ivy). Iunno, it's growing on me. :)

Did NoA mean Tepig or Tehpig? :P

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Snivy: Snake + Ivy (and the poshboy connotations that come with 'snivelling' etc)
Tepig: Pig + Tepid (lukewarm, presumably its evolutions will have similar heat-based puns)
Oshawott: Otter + ...something. Not sure on this one.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

One thing I'm sure of is that there's going to be a ton of Snivy's nicknamed "Smugleaf" on the GTS once the game releases over here. Snivy's really the only name I like, but the other two aren't bad, plus I nickname most of my Pokemon, anyway...

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Oshawott, I choose you!

(Let's face it, Fire types may be rare in games, but the Water types you get mid-game are sparcely as good as the starter...)

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

@_@ I seen the evolved forms of that pathetic looking seal, and it really doesn't look pathetic.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

Just to let you know Nintendolife, the water otter was nicknamed Derpderp, and Wotter

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

I still expect Snivy to be widely nicknamed "Excalibur," though I see evidence of Snivy being named "Whiplash," as well.

Me, I am still going to call Tepig "Nanba" and Snivy "Abel."

Also, I am not that fond of Oshawott...

AVahne

AVahne said:

Crappiest names ever. Seems like Gamefreak is encouraging us to use nicknames.

Objection

Objection said:

If I even choose to get this game, I'm just gonna give them the NL nicknames. They're so much better.

Oshawatt makes me think of "Ocelot" but I don't see any such connection.

danschemen

danschemen said:

you know someone got arrested for showing the pig like one up there it was someone who worked at the company and he put a picture of it on the internet.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I'm just going with Snivy or whatever, just because he crosses his arms in the animation. lol
@Raylax: Is your avi from B/W? Do they have anymore gifs of those animations?

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Oshawatt? What is that? Don't get it.

The names are clever enough, but they just don't have a good ring to them to me. Hopefully Hamferno is an evolution name, because that is awesome (and would fit as an evolution to tepid tepig).

Digiki

Digiki said:

Those names are terrible!

Like Wotter, was pretty bad albeit amusing, but then they just drop into the incomprehensible.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

I want to know the final names before I give Snivy a nickname, maybe his name will be awesome. I'm still disappointed in the final evo of Wotter

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@BellGoRiiing: I got it from here. They don't have all of them yet though. I think the others are available somewhere - I've seen avatars on other forums using animation sprites with their shadows intact - but haven't found 'em yet.

Yosher

Yosher said:

I think it just needs getting used to. Like with the Oshawott's appearance.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

I'm gonna nickname Snivy either Smugleaf or Dragoon anyways.
Don't worry, in about a month or so, we'll all get used to the new names.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

Smugleaf and Hamferno were awesome names. Instead of 'Tepig' they should have just called the fire one 'teh pig'. And the water one? It will always be ugly.

jhuhn

jhuhn said:

Looks like the city of Oshawa, Ontario, Canada could sue Pokemon for using the name Oshawott, which is almost similar to their city.

MotorTCD

MotorTCD said:

I always change my pokemon's names but i will say that miji's english name is the only one i dislike

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Also, the region of Isshu isn't called that in the English version. Our 5th gen region is called the Unova region. Although the starter names are a bit on the pitifull side, I at least like the region name.

Yadoking

Yadoking said:

Smugleaf, Emboar, and Wotter were the previous ones as far as I knew. Hamferno is a neat one.

Bobpie

Bobpie said:

Well obviously:
Snivy = Snake + Ivy OR Snide + Ivy
Tepig (just doesn't ring for me...) = Tepid + Pig
But all I can get for Oshawott?
Otter + Shallot?

Or perhaps Otter + Shell + Wat(er)?

Azikira

Azikira said:

Im going to start out with Snivy Sir Pinchley the 3rd. If that doesnt fit, ill go with Snivy XD

Swiket

Swiket said:

Solid Snivy
Tepig Boss
Revolver Oshawott

Looks like we have some MGS fans in NoA.

Z_Bone

Z_Bone said:

This may be the first Pokemon game where I actually give my Pokemon nicknames.

Mewtwo_Ex

Mewtwo_Ex said:

Other European translations are available on the officle website. We have the starters/region French names, yay ! They are quite good in fact.

MJongo

MJongo said:

Smugleaf
Pignition
Wotter
Those are, and will always be, their correct names.

jack0

jack0 said:

hope to god this will b on the ds i really cant afford a 3ds atm come next year, motorbikes are important :D

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

@jack0: It is on the DS. Just look at the banner on the top of the page next to "Pokemon Black & White"

JTC-Pingas

JTC-Pingas said:

The original Japanese names will always be their correct names.
Tsutarja
Pokabu
Mijumaru
:D

NassaDane

NassaDane said:

The names are kind of hard to say but atleast they are the best starters since the 3rd gen.

James

James said:

Pignition - that's good. I hope it goes Tepig - Pignition - Hamferno.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Man, is it just me or do Pokemon get uglier, buglier, and fuglier with every iteration? :D

HADAA

HADAA said:

It took me hours to figure out where the name Oshawott might've come from -- The "maru" in Mijumaru means circle in Japanese, so "O-shaped water otter". Lame, but this must be it.

jpfan1989

jpfan1989 said:

It seems that Snivy Snake-Ivy is a close translation of the original Tsutar"Ivy"-Ja"snake"

but I think Tsutarja sounds more badass than Snivy

PaperLucario

PaperLucario said:

To every pokemon fan who shows hate to the new starters:

I personally like the starters, I have Miju..I mean Ohsawott as my starter on my imported copy of Black, I also think the names are okay, but I prefer the japanese names more to be honest.