This Lego Wii Remote Won't Brick Your Wii

Posted by James Newton

Build it up, tear it down

Wii Remotes are coming in all colours and configurations these days: the Wii Remote Plus with MotionPlus built-in, the red Remote with this red Wii, this upcoming Tron Remote. What if none of these take your fancy, though: what are you supposed to do then? Build your own out of Lego bricks? Well, yes.

The famous manufacturer of plastic bricks has produced its own Wii Remote with a customisable faceplate and array of tiles, ready for you to colourise it any way you like. Like the official Remote it includes rumble, a speaker and all the accelerometers you'd expect, but with the added bonus of being (partially) made of Lego.

Exclusive to Toys 'R' Us, the controller will set you back $39.99 and begins shipping on October 16th.

Use your own official LEGO pieces (not included) to build a custom display stand using the Buildable Battery Cover. The remote features internal accelerometers, an internal speaker, rumble effects and larger buttons for enhanced control during game play. Works with most Wii chargers and attachments (using included Standard Battery Cover). Includes Remote, Wrist Strap, 2 Battery Covers, and 31 Mini LEGO tiles with LEGO Tile Separator. Compatible with Wii MotionPlus.

[via toysrus.com]

Zach

Zach said:

Whoever owns this will be the modern day equivalent of the Power Glove kid from The Wizard.

Rensch

Rensch said:

That's awesome. But it doesn't look like you have much space to actualy customize.

rwq

rwq said:

Nice! and there is plenty of space, use the lego you already have! Fantastic.

NeoRausch

NeoRausch said:

wow this looks reeeeeaaaly uncomfortable.. yuck!

EDIT:

and uh....think about it!! swinging this thing around and loosing parts in full swing motion :P

Shugo

Shugo said:

A shame that it doesn't have the MotionPlus built into it. That's the deal breaker for me.

But if I do manage to find and break out my old tubs of LEGO bricks, this thing might actually be fun. I just hope it's comfortable enough to actually use for extended periods of time.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

If my memory holds true, that's as much as a standard Wii remote, so I might think about getting this, since I need two more.

benanen

benanen said:

It'd be great for a laugh. Shouldn't be too uncomfortable, most dimensions are the same, and the Lego is flat anyway.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

Darn, when I saw the picture, I thought it said "complete with Wii motion+!" then I read the rest of the article. Well, I guess I'll pass.

Iggy

Iggy said:

Ill pass on this but its propally one of the coolest wii remotes ive seen.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

This is pretty awesome. Lego should also consider bundling this Wiimote with some games from the Lego series to really push the motif...

OldBoy

OldBoy said:

Ha, thats great.Not for me ,but that thing is freakin cool.The placement of the - / + and 'home' buttons actually looks better than a real Wiimote :O

Chris720

Chris720 said:

That would get uncomfortable... quick. Especially playing games such as Call of Duty, it would get irritating.

But still, its a nice idea.

GammaGames

GammaGames said:

I thought of this as some skins for the DS, like the sticky ones. Or an actual case, I thought that would be cool, now its on wii.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

@ 35. irken004
THAT is awesome. As a Lego lover, I should've done this myself :)

rjejr

rjejr said:

I bought a pink and blue Wiimote today (Wiiplus included in the box but still in white) at TRU today for $50 each. [Got Just Dance 2 for mrs. w/ B2G1 offer.] Now I'm thinking it was a mistake. Anybody want to chime in before I open the boxes - going away for the weekend so don't need them until Monday. I don't want Lego but a red 1 w/ Plus built in would be nice. What do people use more for multiplayer, nunchuck or Wiiplus? Wii Party and SMBW seem nunchuckless, but the Plus isn't getting much use either except frisbee in Resort. Couldn't find just $40 Wiimote which is what I wanted.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

This looks awesome. But, with everything related to Lego, it is too expensive...

I've been wanting a plain tub of Legos, and that along costs $30 these days. >.>