StreetPass Being Looked into for Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D

Posted by Trevor Chan

Potentially allowing gamers to "play" the game without actually playing it

The 3DS is set to offer handheld gamers a variety of functionalities that were previously unavailable. It's easy for the 3D visuals to be stealing the limelight, but what about things like StreetPass? How will developers utilise this subtle yet intriguing feature?

Since the unveiling of the Metal Gear Solid 3 tech demo at E3 earlier this year, very little has been revealed about what kind of content Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D will actually provide for gamers. Series creator Hideo Kojima has made it clear that the game is based off Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater and so any narrative strands mustn't contradict the timeline and events of the Metal Gear Solid universe. The game will be more of a revisit to a past instalment, with emphasis on co-op, 3D, and portable-like elements.

As part of the Nintendo Conference last month, Kojima delivered a video message (transcribed by Gpara.com) that suggested the game might be making use of the 3DS StreetPass feature as a way of connecting players with each other:

In Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater, we believe the feeling of actually hiding in the shadows and other such areas will have even more impact with 3D video. We're also looking into using StreetPass functionality for exchanging data with other players even when you're not playing the game.

It's still not known whether Kojima will be directing the 3DS instalment or not, but he seems to have a clear vision of how the game should present itself. We'll have to wait and see.

[via andriasang.com]

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

Developers are really liking the StreetPass feature. Can't wait to see how different developers will use it. :)

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

If I end up getting spotted by guards when I'm not playing, it's going to be my pockets fault.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Hmmm. MGS may start (as in MGS not Metal Gear) on Sony, but I think that Nintendo get the better versions. Cant wait to see our "NEWER" Version of MGS4

Alias

Alias said:

Sneaky Shaky Slithery Slimy Snake!
not sure I want that in my pocket

Angaran

Angaran said:

I really want the 3ds it looks amazing i would get this mario kart and streetfighters

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

I really don't want to see games ported to 3DS where the only difference is the 3D, so this is good news.

@PunnyGuy Lovin' the new avatar! It reminds me of Kirby's Epic Yarn.

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

They're going to have to add a lot more than StreetPass and co-op to make me buy this game again. I can pop this into my PS3 and play right now if I wanted to (yes, I have one of the awesome PS3s that plays PS2 games).

gatygun

gatygun said:

@ luwiigi

then you can better wait 1-2 years lol. developers need to release something when the 3ds hits the shells. the best thing to do this is remakes + full focus on 3d. so they can make for the second generation alot better games. Thats why there is simple almost nothing announced with kingdom hearts 3DS. they just wait it out to implant something goods.

A compleet new game + 3D effects = gona be either lacking on the gameplay / story / quality or 3d effects.