Shantae Soundtrack Doing Great, Thanks to You

Posted by James Newton

Yes, you

We may never know if Shantae: Risky's Revenge sells as well as WayForward hoped, what with strict limitations on the discussion of sales figures, but one aspect of the game that's definitely doing better than expected is the original soundtrack.

Released at the end of September, the soundtrack by Jake "virt" Kaufman is up there with the best available on DSiWare, but even the composer is surprised by the reaction.

Without boasting about numbers, let’s just say that I’m shocked that so many people who downloaded the album have paid for it. I can’t thank you guys enough — your generosity is seriously going to help me make better stuff. If not for the shiny new gear, then for knowing that you’re actually excited about hearing it.

If you paid for it, give yourself a pat on the back. Even if you didn't, virt is cool with that too – just buy the game instead. Not sure why? Our Shantae: Risky's Revenge review will answer all.

Visit this page to find out how to download the soundtrack.

[via biglionmusic.com]

KyubiStewie

KyubiStewie said:

What's also great to hear is how many downloads the game's been getting on the DSi Shop, along with another great game, Zenonia. Yep, Shantae is finally getting the attention it deserves.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

That's great news! Great game and great soundtrack! What more can you ask for? :)

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

This is such a great game and it has a fantastic soundtrack. My favorite track has to be the Scuttle Town theme. I wish WayForward much continued success and hopefully we will be seeing another Shantae game in the near future.:)

@Corbie: I would have liked a longer game but I guess that's what sequels are for, right?;)

odd69

odd69 said:

Dont forget those who haven't even bought it yet, Once i get my 3DS this will be the 1st downloadable game i buy(probably the soundtrack as well).I think the sales will only increase :)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

This man should be taken as an example...buy a game, get the soundtrack free! That's what I did, and I think it was an all-around great deal without feeling liking ripping them off.:D

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

I mean, if you have the game, you kinda feel entitled to have the soundtrack as audio files as well, eh?

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

Wow, I'm a jerk. I didn't pay for the soundtrack and don't have the game.

EdEN

EdEN said:

I'll be getting Shantae in a month or so since I have other games to take care of at the moment. But it WILL be part of my collection.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

Hey, Wayforward! Here's a good way to make more money: BRING SHANTAE TO EUROPE.
I am dying to play this, what's the hold up?

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

Dislikes: YOUR UGLY FACE

I love developers who have a sense of humour. Anyone else want an OMNOMNOM Boy? :D

This video is some quality stuff. I want the soundtrack, but I would feel too guilty if I were to download it for free. I'll wait for the EU release of the game, and if I like it (which I'm sure I will) I'll chuck a couple of bucks in WayForwards direction. :)

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Sorry it took me so long for me to reply to this. My head exploded in Shantae love. <3

I promised in my heart to buy Shantae and I did. I blast the music out of my car to my own delight at the startled pedestrians' around me. I love every bit about Shantae: Risky's Revenge... and it's soundtrack. :)

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Wayforward does what most 3rd Parties don't.... Can anyone come up with a clever 'slogan' insulting those other lazy game developers? You know who I'm talking about ;)

I want to pay $5 at least for the soundtrack... I still haven't gotten the game yet, but I might as well RIGHT now...

EDIT: Paid $5 for the Soundtrack. Feels dirty to get it for free, probably because they guilt you >_< Least they are letting people get it free with the option of donating.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

I've gotten plenty of Jimi Hendrix bootlegs for free (mostly because they are all things not officially released anyway) and I don't feel guilty. I liked the part about listening to it in the car and getting weird looks, but they don't matter. So true :D

I loved this video and found it very sexy. Can't wait to get the game and listen to some tunes!

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

I paid for it - $10 is a small price to pay for chiptune gold :D And although I know that Mr.Kaufman will put this to good use and new software and/or equipment, I hope he doesn't abandon the chiptunage. Be like Yuzo Koshiro like that, man!

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

Oh, but I DO hope the game is failing commercially. I mean, I bought it, but the DSiware store (I play it on my mum's DSi XL; I rock a DS Lite because a GBA library is far more worth it than the crappy games on DSiware. Shantae excluded of course). I want SOMETHING to push Wayforward to bring this title onto a digital store with some more awareness. This would be perfect on Wiiware, PSN or XBLA. Steam too probably, but a game like this needs to be played with a controller on a tv imo. Were they to bring this to Wiiware, I'd happily buy it again. Its an excellent sidescroller; it should be on a better platform.