Purple Power Unveiled in Latest Sonic Colours Trailer

Posted by James Newton

The power is... smashing things up

Have you been keeping count of the Wisp powers unveiled for Sonic Colours so far? We've lost count by now, but we can add one more to that number with this latest trailer unveiling the purple Wisp that grants Sonic the power of frenzy.

It seems the Wisp transforms the hedgehog into some kind of huge-jawed animal, chomping through blocks and badniks whilst growing ever larger. What impact this will have on the level design remains to be seen, but at the very least it should be fun to chew on some badniks for a change.

The trailer also features the blue Wisp transformation that turns Sonic into a massive cube that sends out a shockwave when it smashes into the ground. This impact has the power to change blocks from solid to hollow, opening up new routes along the way.

Sonic Colours is out in Europe on November 12th, with a North American release following on the 16th.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

I hate Sonic.
By the way, everytime I say "I hate [insert noun here]"
I am saying it with Francis's voice.

lex0plex

lex0plex said:

im not pre-ordering this since i want to wait for reviews, but it looks better than I could have thought. Way to go sega; bring back the hedgehog!

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

By the way you described purple Sonic, I was afraid the Warehog was making a reappearance. It actually looks really neat though. All the different wisps are sort of like the shields in Sonic 3.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

eh, this will probably still fail like the rest of the wii sonic games. not even sonic 4 garnered critical acclaim. Gamers, especially die hard sonic nuts will find something to complain about (physics, mechanics, music, camera, lack of new characters or concepts) and end up hating the game. I think the problem is everything that's made the sonic formula has been changed so many times. It's not like Kirby where you can change a couple things and its still an awesome game (KEY).

but only time will tell and I hope I'm wrong because I still think it looks like a fun game.

Punny

Punny said:

The strange thing is that the Purple Power looks better than all the warehog stages in Sonic Unleashed combined. Color me excited for Sonic's greatest 3D adventure! :)

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

@lex0plex : 2 reviews have been shown already. One was from NGamer magazine in the UK who gave it an 8 and the other was Nintendo Power who gave it a 9. So far so good.
Normally I would preorder a new Sonic game but I think im going to wait till christmas for this one. Looking good though.

jack0

jack0 said:

always loved 3d parts of the spinoff games, sonic unleasheds running bits were sooo fun, so good how they ve made a game with onlt platforming and running, cant wait

JakobG

JakobG said:

You know why this game could be the best 3D-Sonic game?
Every gimmick is based on progression.
All powerups are related to speed or new ways to create shortcuts; something the older games didn't have.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

Purple Frenzy looks more awesome then I could have imagined, and I was really getting into the music, too, hope that's in a stage. This game can't come fast enough for me! :)

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

86/100 from NGamer and a 9/10 from Nintendo Power, so far, so good.

Of course, I am really excited for this! :D

Gameday

Gameday said:

the pink and the purple seemed like they do the same thing basically. anyone else feel me on that ?