Podcast: NLFM Episode 9: Halloween Hootenanny

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

You don't need to be the master of unlocking to access these horror treasures

Boo!

It's a regular fright fest in this episode of NLFM as we queue up some of our favorite horror game tracks. BEHOLD! the wonders of mad science gone wrong! GASP! at the children of the night! WONDER! how Chuck D. Head doesn't need more painkillers! RUN! from the Scissorman!

Dare you listen?

Dare you not?

In case you've missed out on the fun so far, NLFM generally focuses on music from games playable on Nintendo consoles and handhelds, which, thanks to the Virtual Console, also includes the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and Master System, Turbografx-16, Neo Geo and Commodore 64. It's not all games either as we highlight chip musicians and albums we really like.

Scratching at your window this time:

1. Masami Ueda, Shusaku Uchiyama and Shun Nishigaki — Wreckage of the Mad Experiment (Resident Evil 2, PSX/N64/GCN/PC)
2. Konami — Vampire Killer (Castlevania: Rondo of Blood, PC Engine/TG-16)
3. Yoshinori Kawamoto — The Saint Comes Marching In (Splatterhouse, PC Engine/TG-16)
4. Protricity — Neighburgers OCRemix (Zombies Ate My Neighbors, SNES)
5. Fumito Tamayama — Stage 4 (Decap Attack, Genesis/Mega Drive)
6. Yasunori Mitsuda — Strains of Insanity (Chrono Trigger, SNES/DS)
7. Shinobu Tanaka and Kazumi Totaka, orchestrated and arranged by Shogo Sakai — Luigi's Mansion Theme (Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Wii)
8. Gareth Vilday — Main Menu (Dementium: The Ward, DS)
9. WayForward Technologies — English Teacher Boss Battle (LIT, WiiWare)
10. Mari Yamaguch — Haunted Graveyard (Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts, SNES)
11. Kouji Niikura — Don't Cry, Jennifer (Clock Tower: The First Fright, SNES)

Background music: Kyle Richards — Voodoo (BloodRayne, GCN/PS2/Xbox)

Get the Flash Player to see this player.

To avoid the eating of brains that comes with missing episodes, subscribe to our Podcast feed (using iTunes) or download it using this direct link. You can also find us on iTunes (don't forget to rate us!), so show the podcasts some love as there is plenty more good stuff lined up for the future.

Also be sure to send in your musical contributions, requests and what have you to help make NLFM way more rad.

Zach

Zach said:

Lol, the master of unlocking... RE sure had some funny dialogue. Great podcast, Jon! Really spooky.

TLink9

TLink9 said:

Oh Zach I am so scared I shiver in my bed. :p But still great podcast Jon.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

Not sure what you're getting at with that "we have a life" comment. Did I imply otherwise? And is 30 minutes really such a long time to spend listening to music? As nearly every album recorded in the long and varied history of popular music is longer than that, I'm gonna have to say...no.

JayArr

JayArr said:

I'm listening while testing my latest theory on accelerated genetics.......

Also, Rondo of Blood Soundtrack is amazing. Great tunes here John, bravo!

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@TLink9:
...alright? Again, was it ever implied otherwise? There's no need for upturned noses around here, so let's try to keep the snippy comments to a minimum, 'kay?

TLink9

TLink9 said:

Oh yes :) Petz, speaking of which I dare Zach to take on Dogz for gba, I have the game.......... Don't ask

Zach

Zach said:

When I'm assigned a Petz game to review, as I have been thrice, I hold my head up high, march into battle and give it the benefit of the doubt. But I'm not going to go out of my way to play one! There's the influence of horror movies like Saw and Hostel at work - Halloween's supposed to be about scares, not suffering!

Zach

Zach said:

I don't want to lose my Thanksgiving appetite! Trust me, TLink9, I've got an excuse for every season.

JayArr

JayArr said:

Hootenanny - I need to squeeze this gem of a word into regular everyday conversation more.

Zach

Zach said:

Why stop now? I take his first comment (comment #2) as a challenge!

TLink9

TLink9 said:

Ok Zach I get it ifyou won't do it. My dreams will just be crushed. Think about the poor children who want to know about games that they could just waste their money on.

Zach

Zach said:

Ok, agreed! If I review it, you have to come back to this thread and get the comment count up to a billion zillion!

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

... or, how about the both of you come to chat instead of spamming up this thread? i know you both know where to find it :3

TLink9

TLink9 said:

Touché
@tbd No not on the dsi also I need to get to 1billion zillion. Also what is this chat thing you speak about :)

edhe

edhe said:

I noticed Frank's theme from Street Racer (SNES) isn't on the list.

To be honest, I prefer NLFM to the regular nintendolife podcasts and will continue to download them as long as you keep making them!