New Donkey Kong Country Returns Trailer Shows Mine Cart Madness

Posted by James Newton

And plenty of other madness too, in fact

Two gorillas walking on a whale, hopping on hippos and riding a rocket barrel: it's all here in this new trailer for Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Retro Studio's upcoming revival is looking pretty sweet, and it's not long until gamers can tussle with the apes: Donkey Kong returns on November 21st in North America, and slaps Europe about on December 3rd.

You can read our Donkey Kong Country Returns First Impressions for more on how this ape adventure plays.

Platypus

Platypus said:

The boss battles look a lot like jungle beat and for me that's a bad thing.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I believe the word that applies here is "revival," not "remake." But yes, it looks excellent.:D

Objection

Objection said:

Looks really fun, and the graphics seem a bit shinier and fluid since I last saw them too. Gonna be good.

DrCruse

DrCruse said:

The original looked better.

Will their be underwater levels?

This game has an incredible game series to live up to. I have my doubts as to whether or not it can do it.

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

@8
No it didn't, that's just your nostalgia-filter talking. and also, they've said on several occasions there will be NO WATER LEVELS, on account of them slowing the fast pace of the game (in their words, not mine).

Also, I am DEFINITELY sure this game will be fantastic. DKC hasn't let me down in the past, and I know that Retro is an amazing developer, this vids only make me more excited.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Another example of why Retro Studios is one of my favorite developers. The opening scene with Donkey Kong Breaking out of his hut looked amazing. Visuals look fantastic and the gamepay looks more fun than a barrel of monkey's muhaha.

I'll admit I was never crazy over the first Donkey Kong Country back on the SNES. while it's visuals were striking, unique and very impressive at the time there was just something missing. the gameplay and stage design felt second rate, a bit bare bones and no where near as genious when compared to something like Super Mario World. DKC never really hooked me back in the day, although it's sequal DKC2 was much more enjoyable. Haven't played DKC3 though...Yet what I love about DKC is the challenge and diffuculty. It's definitly no walk in the park!

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

This game just keeps looking better and better.

I'm still holding out hope that Dixie Kong makes an apperance in this game, hopefully as playable.

Zsxdflip

Zsxdflip said:

Im calling it, Game of the Year. No, Game of the Century! And the thing at 0:57 looks like a zubat :)

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

I like it. Everything like graphics, effects, and sounds seem like if DKC and Jungle Beat had one awesome child of a game. I know they aren't having water levels, but I sure do want a remixed water-level theme. That'd make this game 20x better.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

It looks like Retro did beter then Nintendo did with NSMB Wii (At least in graphics, and creativity)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

That was awesome! The Donkey Kong Country Main Theme is back! The graphics look amazing, and the intro looked very good. I can't wait for launch!

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

Can't wait to play this game, so far the only thing I actually hate about the game is that there won't be any underwater levels.

justmike

justmike said:

Why isn't there underwater levels?

And it looks amazing! Can't wait to play it.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

Everything looks awesome just the music is subpar though I realize that's just the cheesy title music. I'm sure the mine cart level has more suitable music. The game looks like it's going to be really good. The craziness looks enjoyable.

Part of the whole water level thing in DKC though was to slow the pace. I really appreciate games that have sections where you just chill out, it breaks up the pace. This is why I prefer shooters like Half-life to ones where every screen you are killing hordes of endless enemies. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt though, I'm sure they know what they're doing. Metroid Prime was a perfectly balanced game so if they say water levels aren't needed they are probably right.

ShadowSniper7

ShadowSniper7 said:

"and yes, Retro Studios did put in a remixed version of the incredible Aquatic Ambiance from the original Donkey Kong Country, heard in a water level when you're riding on the back of giant whales."

This was taken from IGN. Apparently there aren't any water levels but that doesn't mean the epic music is out :D

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Amazing looking level design with bosses looking as epic as those in Jungle Beat, if not more so. Must. Buy. Now.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Is this a crossover game? It looks like D.K. and Diddy have to fight off a bunch of Golbat and a Ho-oh.

JimLad

JimLad said:

I can't wait to play this with a friend, nothing beats a good platforming co-op. :D

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

@22 I'm not completely sure why there are no underwater levels, but from what I read Retro Studios doesn't like the slow pace that takes place during the underwater levels.

Punny

Punny said:

Wow! This game keeps looking better and better! Fortunately it won't be too long until monkey madness hits us. :)

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

Can't believe this game is just a couple weeks away. The gameplay in this trailer was SO freaking cool! Wow, the music just brings me back to my buddies and I staying up all night playing the original DKC...good times.