NBA Jam Roster Features Obama, Beastie Boys and More

Posted by James Newton

It wouldn't be basketball without politicians

Remember NBA Jam's bizarre roster of characters featuring everyone from Warren Moon to Bill Clinton? The upcoming NBA Jam for Wii isn't about to disappoint in that regard, with its presidential qualifications fulfilled neatly by one Barack Obama and other unexpected players hidden away.

As well as Obama, fans of politics and basketball can burn up the court with Sarah Palin, Dick Cheney and Joe Biden. As existing players, the characters' faces are based on real photos, with Cheney's "Darth Vader snarl" making it into the game intact.

The game also includes the Beastie Boys and an extra, "super secret" musician character who supposedly will only be revealed when unlocked. Certain classic NBA Jam players also return, with Karl "The Mailman" Malone and Patrick Ewing back in the game, although Charles Barkley and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar will be sadly absent.

North American gamers can find NBA Jam on their store shelves today, with a European launch to follow.

[via espn.go.com]

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Hells yes! :D I was hoping (but highly doubted) they'd be able to put Obama in as they did with Bill Clinton, but to put in other American politicians I know the name of... :o... :D Can't wait for NBA Jam! :D

pixelman

pixelman said:

Hahahahahahaha, that image caption is pure win.

I might pick this up today if I can get some other people to chip in. 50 bucks is a hella lot of money.

zionich

zionich said:

Obamas gonna take the game from a 9 to a 7, got to redistribute points to lower rated games =P

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

I wanted George Bush, or at less Bill Cosby.

Don't know why they added Beastie Boys, there real has been.

Rasche

Rasche said:

Wow I never thought Obama and the Beastie Boys would be in a video game. Lol.

madgear

madgear said:

The Beastie Boys, or at least one or two of them, featured in the original NBA Jam too in one version of it. They didn't make it to the home ports but were in one of the arcade versions.

Also the Beastie Boys are hardly has beens - they're still going strong now, have tons of fans and have made a new album.

Punny

Punny said:

I never realized that politics could be debated with a basketball game. :D

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Awesome I remember play as Presidnet Clinton all the time on the Sega CD version. I just picked it up but havent had a chance to play it yet. I cant wait so far it sounds like they nailed what made the original alot of fun.

greenellow

greenellow said:

I hope the mysterious musician will be lady gaga in a basketball outfit than i'll definitely get this game

Boonehams

Boonehams said:

Hot damn! I can't wait to play as Obama and school my friends online!

... Oh, wait....