NBA Jam Exclusive to HMV in UK

Posted by James Newton

Only available from the dog

If you've been waiting anxiously to pick up EA's NBA Jam revival in the UK, you're going to want to heed His Master's Voice and head to your local HMV, as gaming's other purple retailer has nabbed the game as an exclusive.

Not only does this mean you won't be able to find it in-store at Gamestation or Game, you can't buy it from other online retailers either: neither Play nor Amazon have the game available to purchase on their sites.

You can read our NBA Jam review to find out why this is one of Wii's best retro revivals yet.

[via hmv.com]

James

James said:

It's perfectly legal for one company to purchase an exclusive on a game, movie, album or book: it happens all the time.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

@James Bit crap thou innit? You have to question EA's faith in how well this is gonna sell in the UK really if they have to get into bed with HMV

eljhojo

eljhojo said:

I have to say I don't care: I couldn't bear that the game was released in France and not here, so I ordered it on Amazon.fr... Slightly more expensive, but so worth it (and I have had it for over a week now) ! :)

James

James said:

@Daz Definitely! I was looking forward to getting my hands on this for Wii, but I bet other retailers looked at it and thought "why buy the Wii version when the 360 and PS3 ones will sell better?"

Roo

Roo said:

Seeing as HMV is typically my first choice when it comes to video games - both buying them and selling them - this suits me just fine. Unfortunate for those who don't have an HMV close to them though - here in Scotland, they're mostly in the central belt.

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

This explains why I could not order it from Amazon.co.uk ... no clue when or if it will appear in shops over here in Portugal, I'll begin tracking it down at lunch time.

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

It doesn't make any sense to have exclusivity deals in retail though. The more shelf space across all stores the game gets, the more sales. I thought they were trying to recoup losses from NBA Elite 2011 with this game, too. Oh well.

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

So, they didn't offer online multiplayer, then made versions for the other consoles, then decided they would all be the same price despite the Wii having less features, and now they're only selling it in HMV?

Whoever is responsible for all these decisions is really starting to p*** me off. :(

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

makes you wonder why EA bothers with the wii sometimes. but, atleast it`s out, finally.

meppi

meppi said:

That's one of the stupidest things I've seen in a while.
Won't be buying it now. Well, unless it hits £5. ;)

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Dose anyone in Europe even care about the NBA anymore? I'm mean seriously! Although you do know a good game when you see one!

Dru192

Dru192 said:

@eljhojo , Amen brother! I did the same thinking EA was gona pull a Naruto: CotNR 3 (picked mine up on a trip to Spain, can't believe its still not out!) on us. Glad its finally out, was deffo worth the extra bucks!

Machu

Machu said:

Meanwhile... TMW isn't available anywhere. Game, Gamestation, HMV, none of them are stocking it. F'ing ridiculous considering the crap they do stock. >.< dfkjsdkfdkjvgbdfvbdfmvbdfmhvb

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

That seems....dumb. Methinks EA doesn't have high hopes for this one doing well over there.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I've only bought two games from EA - MySims and MySims Kingdom. I was never interested in any of their sports games.

madgear

madgear said:

damn - HMV is one of those stores that takes the game out the packaging and keeps it loose in a drawer behind the counter. Usually get my games from Tesco to avoid this but looks like I'll have to get it from their online store then - so much for getting it this weekend then.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

@Machu - do you mean TrackMania Wii? I found a copy in HMV (Oxford Street).
This is a bit rubbish, but I find many games I want have a minimal UK release with most shop assistants looking perplexed when I mention them, GTI Club, Calling, King of Fighters... At least this should be a bit easier to obtain since I know where to look.

Plus once it becomes 'pre-owned', I guess it will appear in more shops.