Mew Returns to Pokemon in HeartGold and SoulSilver

Posted by James Newton

Catch the psychic one at last

Remember when you first played Pokémon and your friend showed you the amazingly rare Mew, Pokémon #151 when 150 was a big deal? Now you can relive those glorious days again in Pokémon HeartGold and SoulSilver as you'll be able to catch the cutesy Psychic-type monster from Friday.

Mew is being released to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the original Pokémon Gold & Silver, with full details on how you can claim your own pink ball of telekinetic power below.

BELLEVUE, Wash.—October 12, 2010—It has been 10 years since Pokémon™ fans first visited the Johto region in the Pokémon Gold Version and Pokémon Silver Version video games. To commemorate this historic occasion, Pokémon Trainers can get the Rare Psychic-type Pokémon Mew™ for the original titles’ remakes, Pokémon HeartGold Version or Pokémon SoulSilver Version, for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems via a Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection distribution event October 15 through October 30, 2010.

At first, it was believed that there were only 150 Pokémon. As #151 in the National Pokédex, Mew was the original secret Pokémon, revealed for the Pokémon Red Version and Pokémon Blue Version video games. Over the past 12 years, Mew has very rarely been attainable, making this an extraordinary opportunity for Trainers across the nation.

The Mew character you will receive is a Level 5 and comes with one basic Normal-type attack, Pound, giving Pokémon Trainers the ability to raise and train Mew as they see fit. Making this distribution especially exclusive, Mew comes inside a Cherish Ball and has a Premier Ribbon, both indicating that you got it via a special event.

During the limited distribution period, players will need to receive Mew using the Mystery Gift option via the Nintendo® Wi-Fi Connection service and their existing wireless broadband Internet access, and will need to acquire the Pokédex in the game. Players must also have fewer than three Wonder Cards in their game.

This historic distribution event is only available for a limited time. For more information, players should visit www.pokemon.com.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

That's cool. I already have a legal Mew in Soul Silver though thanks to Pokemon Ranch. I'm a little sad about this though because before this, Ranch was the ONLY way to obtain a legal mew on any 4th Gen Pokemon games. Oh well, I've still got my special Ranch Phione :D

Faildude

Faildude said:

Already got that Mew in the Japanese version a year ago... I guess another one wouldn't hurt.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

No love for those of us still playing Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, Nintendo? :(

(Also, boo, no Toys-R-Us distribution.)

Hokori

Hokori said:

I got mine and cloned it in emerald. so my question is...... WHERES MY CELEBI?

motang

motang said:

Pretty cool, I am not into Pokemon, I tried playing it but couldn't get into it. But the depth of the game is just awesome.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

All of the downloadable events for HGSS have worked on DPPt as well, so Sinnoh players will probably be able to download this. I'm going to try to get two myself!

I second the Celebi question though. Because of Ranch, Mews aren't too difficult to find. Celebis on the other hand...

Mizore

Mizore said:

...Meh, Mew wasn't rare, could easily catch it in Gold..(with GameShark. xD)

Anyways awesome. xD

Kevin

Kevin said:

Where?! This really makes getting My Pokemon Ranch pointless now unless you miss the event.

Objection

Objection said:

Might as well connect this weekend and see if it works. Wouldn't mind a cute little pink ball of death or two.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Wow, it WILL be 10 years since Pokemon Gold and Silver came out (Oct. 14, 2000)

Best Pokemon games I've ever played (HGSS even better). My mom got me Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs and I was hoping that Celebi would be available there for that Giovanni event, but I guess I was mistaken. Least I get a Deoxys and ANOTHER Manaphy Egg (Like I did in the original Pokemon Ranger. Good times... REALLY good times).

Man, they REALLY love giving away Manaphy in Pokemon Ranger (I think they did it AGAIN back in 2008 with Shadows of Almia). So.. Mew and Manaphy... Perfect combo!! :)

And in case, "HAPPY 10th BIRTHDAY Pokemon Gold Version and Pokemon Silver Version!!!"

Memories!!! :D

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

@supermarioman that can cause some problems too. a friend tried to get unlimited masterballs and thunderstones to trade online. It made me lose all the hm's which makes it a pain to spend a half hour every morning just to get from the post league region to the pal park. Now, I know why I hate hacks again.

Skotski

Skotski said:

@Supermarioman
As armoredghor said, most hacks can end up thrashing up ones' data.
Heck, all the hacks have that capability, it's all about chance in the end.

...anyone remember missingno?

Anyways, it's always better when you get them legit,,, because you're cool if you do. When a legit player meets a hack player, they refuse to fight them (unless they know how to shut their spoiled mouth with great gameplay --hint: Legendaries can be beaten by normal Pokemon that are trained and used well) - because we don't like to deal with rats.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

there goes the only reason to get Pokemon Ranch

although people might get it if they miss this event, since the Mew can't be traded over wifi

(btw i have Ranch, i spawned a mew for my friend and myself already :3)

Taya

Taya said:

I have a Mew that I received in a trade but it was probably cloned. Now I can get a Mew that I know for sure is legit.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Mew was my favourite, had him on Pokémon Blue (via action replay) trained him up and taught him Ice Beam (I think it was) and Chansey's move: Softboiled so he could heal himself. Then set out to destroy Mewtwos everywhere (I refused to use one cause I was weird like that)

...it didn't work, Mewtwo has way more hit points :(

Wolfcoyote

Wolfcoyote said:

I had purchased Pokemon Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, and Silver and STILL didn't bother getting a Mew. I was thinking of starting a new Pokemon SoulSilver save file this weekend anyway so, great.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

Hell yeah~!!!!!!!! (I traded for a Mew eons ago when Gold, Sliver, and Chrystal were the latests versions out). If the battery in the Chrystal version still works its will be there until I figure out a way to get it out. :( But this is great news I can finally be reunited with Mew once again~! Yay~! does a happy dance

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

Aww man looks like there is no side quest involved in this event. I really want to do the Celebii side quest. Seems the most interesting having Giovanni involved in it.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

Why does all this limited edition stuff always come at a time when I can't do anything about it? Grrrr....

Rerun

Rerun said:

I've been mass producing MEW. I have a copy of HG and SS. I just keep reseting the data on HG and trade the MEW to my SS.
TIP:
If you're particular about personalities, save the game before going inside the Pokemart to pick up MEW. Retrieve MEW from the Delivery Man and if it's not the personality that you want, shut down and load the previous save. It took me 5 restarts to get a TIMID MEW.

D33G

D33G said:

Anyone have one to trade?
I'm to lazy to get all the pokemon for Pokemon Ranch.