Level-5's Time Travelers to Materialise on the 3DS

Posted by Trevor Chan

Shots accompany a company announcement

Level-5 sure knows how to tease, doesn't it? First there was the rather cryptic announcement that a new game had started development. Then there was the webpage that contained a single piece of artwork that only raised more questions than it provided answers. When will we actually get some kind of solid details on the mysterious suspense title Time Travelers? Now, that's when.

The Level-5 Vision 2010 press conference held at Tokyo, Japan has lifted the lid on several upcoming titles, and Time Travelers was one of them. After much speculation on the intended platform the game will make its debut on, Level-5 has finally revealed some tantalising game details and screenshots for all to enjoy. Level-5 CEO Akihiro Hino notes that this is the first time the company has released a suspense title and will serve as producer, and Jiro Ishii will take on director duties.

The game's two main characters are Skeleton; a terrorist who knows the future, and Mikoto Shinmichi; a girl who also possesses knowledge of the future. Hino promises a story-driven game and doesn't intend on letting down fans of previous titles, namely the Professor Layton series. To help maximise the appeal of the game, Hino hints at a new gameplay system and expects the title to sell up to a million copies after its release. That's confidence right there!

For more screenshots, head over to AndriaSang where the picture gallery contains a total of seven images, depicting the main characters and locales.

[via andriasang.com]

HolyMackerel

HolyMackerel said:

Wow, intriguing. Those... are in-game shots? For real? That's mind-blowing. The outdoor scenes look incredible!

I'm even more excited about the 3DS now, and I thought that wasn't possible. :o

irken004

irken004 said:

Eh, not one of the more exciting titles imo, but interesting nonetheless.

TrevorTheChan

TrevorTheChan said:

Time Travelers trailer shot from the Level-5 Vision 2010 press conference:

Let the countdown commence.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Wow, this game looks really interesting! Thanks for posting that video TrevorTheChan. Man, I can't wait to get my hands on the 3DS!

Oregano

Oregano said:

@Mickeymac: I wouldn't count on getting them any time soon. Level 5 is making a big deal about owning their IPs and Sony owns both of those... I think the only IP they'll work on that they don't own is Dragon Quest and that's because it made them rich!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

@lz

I just mean as far as I'm concerned they're has-beens. They made 4 fantastic games (Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, Rogue Galaxy, and Jeanne d'Ark), but I've despised every game they've made since - puzzle games and point 'n' clicks, Dragon Quests and Pokemon wannabes - ugh, no thanks. I used to get excited when their games were announced, damn it! Yet the last game they were working on that interested me was Ushiro in 2009, and of course that got cancelled. I just don't make games that appeal to me anymore, and they've long since fallen off my favorite developers list. Now that I think about it, even if they did revive one of their old series, I don't think I'd trust them enough to get it right (but I'd buy it DAY ONE if they did!).

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Seriously, did any one following this title NOT think it was coming to 3DS?

Gonintendo made this game sound entirely CG based. I hope not. I need to hear more about this before I truly care (not the biggest Professor Layton fan). Fantasy Life and Ni no Kuni are easily on my radar though.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@Mickey: what irony this is. I feel quite the opposite. I don't like any of their old stuff (except DC2 but I got bored with it) but I do like all of their new stuff

Objection

Objection said:

@Mickeymac-I've only tried their more recent stuff TBQH, and I liked DQ8 and I liked Layton a lot. Still need to try DQ9 and some of their older stuff though.