Cartoon Network Mayhem in Upcoming 3DS "Battle Game"

Posted by James Newton

Who would win, Dexter or Ben 10?

In the fighting game announcement everyone's been waiting, Crave Games has revealed it's working on a game for 3DS based on characters from the Cartoon Network.

Due for release in Spring 2011, the game will feature characters from Ben 10: Ultimate Alien, Dexter's Laboratory and Samurai Jack, among others. The as-yet unnamed game is described as an "action-packed battle game", which naturally makes us hope for a Super Smash Bros.-style beat 'em up.

Start dreaming up your fantasy Cartoon Network crossover fights.... now.

CRAVE GAMES BRINGS CARTOON NETWORK'S HIT ANIMATED CHARACTERS TO LIFE THIS SPRING

All-Star Action Game Set For Release on Nintendo 3DS™ this Spring and Xbox 360®, Wii™ and PlayStation®3 System During the 2011 Holiday Season

Santa Ana, California, October 19, 2010 – Crave Games, the full-service publishing division of Fillpoint LLC, one of the videogame industries' leading providers of both online and in-store distribution, fulfillment, and e-commerce services for national retailer, today announced that it has entered into an agreement with Cartoon Network Enterprises (CNE), the global licensing and merchandising arm of the television network, to develop and produce a video game for the Nintendo 3DS™ entertainment system available in Spring 2011. The game will also be released for the Xbox 360®video game and entertainment system from Microsoft, Nintendo Wii™ and the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system during the 2011 holiday season.

Currently in development from Papaya Studios, the game will feature a large cast of popular characters from Cartoon Network's original programming. Players will be able to choose from a variety of hit animated characters from the network's most popular shows including, Ben 10 Ultimate Alien, The PowerPuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Samurai Jack, The Marvelous Misadventures of Flapjack, Codename: Kids Next Door, Chowder, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.

"We are delighted to partner with Cartoon Network and their iconic library of characters to deliver a high-energy gaming experience to their loyal fanbase," said Betsi Gijanto, Executive Vice President, Crave Games. "Partnering with Cartoon Network is an important growth initiative for us and we are excited to be releasing one of the first games for the Nintendo 3DS."

"Gaming is such a core component of how our fans play and experience our brands," said Christina Miller, senior vice president, CNE. "This partnership with Crave Games provides us with a great opportunity to bring the favorite characters from the Cartoon Network universe to life in one action-packed battle game and offer our fans a first-of-its-kind console experience."

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

Also I hope Adventure Time is in. That is by far CNs greatest cartoon in years even though Chowder and Imaginary Friends was awesome, they should bring that one back actually.

Robo-goose

Robo-goose said:

So, you're saying that I can make Samurai Jack beat the snot
out of Ben 10, in THREEEE DEEEE?

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

I'm guessing by the description it is probably going to be a beat-em-up like the Nickelodean games and not a head to head fighter.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

The game got me sold at Dexter's Laboratory :)

I hope Johnny Bravo is in it, He gets all the ladies.

StuffyStuff

StuffyStuff said:

I'm surprised to see no Ed, Edd and Eddy annouced. Courage would be awesome too. That show had enough bad guys to make a whole fighting game out of.

Zach

Zach said:

I too love Space Ghost, but something tells me that's the wrong audience.

KyubiStewie

KyubiStewie said:

See, CN does care for your Childhood Memories. But with a new show coming, they just don't have enough room to put every show into one channel. That's why they removed it and placed it on either Boomerang or on DVD. Though there are still some shows that stayed in the current schedule.

OverlordMao

OverlordMao said:

gonna suck IMO. Papaya studios has ONLY made bad licensed games. cept whirl tour and top gear, but nobody bought or liked those games.

greenellow

greenellow said:

the only way i would buy this is if master shake and brock sampson make it into the game. . . so more than likely i wont be picking it up

Peznaze

Peznaze said:

Following the lead of Layton vs. Wright, the next one they'll do will be Harvey Birdman vs. Space Ghost. :P

And as to the subtitle, the answer, of course, is Dee Dee.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

What?

No ED, EDD N EDDY?! LAME!

(Just kidding, though I do hope more of the old stuff comes in and not too much of the new boring crap.)

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Come on, Courage has to be in this! He might be cowardly, but it would be so funny to see him take out the modern cartoon characters! At least Samurai Jack is in it. That alone would have me sold, but I would have to wait for reviews. I hope it turns out alright, since we should know how licensed games usually go.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

@14: It's gonna happen, lol. I'm not expecting this to be a good game honestly. xD

gatygun

gatygun said:

So basically we end up with a super smash brothers aka dragon ball z aka tekken aka street fighter aka naruto kind of game, only with cartoon network chars that got no fibe in the whole fight scene to start with?

Sorry but i aint waiting on yet another beat them up game, specially not when cartoon network ( characters ) are mostly outdated to the max.

The only thing that did age well was dexter lab, which got rewinded / rescripted to trash.

Shovelware to the max, no ty.

Ivan_Winchester

Ivan_Winchester said:

Dexters Lab is the best show(but the old episodes).... i love to see him and deedee but thats not enough for the buy.... maybe if they add Monkey ill think about it....BUT !!!!, if they manage to get the justice friends i will be totally SOLD¡¡¡¡¡¡¡ they are the best of the best

Bobpie

Bobpie said:

We need more old shows in this, otherwise it's just going to be ALL Ben 10 aliens.
I hope the game works out well. :)

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

i must say i'm intrigued. i wonder if Johnny Bravo will be anywhere? or Cow and Chicken? or Courage the Cowardly Dog... that'd be pretty awesome :3

Azikira

Azikira said:

Cmon! You cant leave out Ed Edd n' Eddy! That was like, Cartoon Networks longest lasting series ever!!

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

I used to watch Cartoon Network. Dexter's Laboratory was awesome! I also loved Ed, Edd n' Eddy and Johnny Bravo. My sister used to be mad about the PowerPuff Girls, lol. Anyway, don't know if this has been mentioned but it says there will be a Wii version too.

Skrubber

Skrubber said:

I might actually buy this!

The franchise roster they've announced so far is pretty good but I hope they add Adventure Time as well as some more old school shows.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Courage The Cowardly Dog yo! Where is he??? D:

Hope they include Ed, Edd and Eddy, Johnny Bravo and Cow&Chicken.. Baboon and Weasel.. Maybe lol

Cameos could work but it wouldn't be the same. Glad Dexter is there. FusionFall was a GREAT crossover. I wonder if they're going to use THAT style, or even blend the two to make characters of each series distinct.

ninji

ninji said:

I for one want 2 Stupid Dogs in such a game. the sfx and the things they can say when they hit or are getting hit...I see lot of potential here.

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

I would love to see T.O.M., Dynamo(PPG's mech), Dexter's, Dee Dee's and Mandark's mech's.....Maybe Magas and Semi-Bionic Titan too?

Yadoking

Yadoking said:

Ben10 and Chowder, and possibly Flapjack, make me a little sad. But the rest of the line up is pretty good. I'd try it for the sake of playing as Samurai Jack.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Man, this actually sounds like a cool idea. But #48 has a point. I mean, "Defendin' de Penguin" was good, but otherwise....

UrbanYeti

UrbanYeti said:

uh, just a little update guys, i just read that there will be 34 characters, and you can unlock Johnny Bravo and CAPTAIN PLANET. I'm not sure if you can unlock only those two, but I kinda wanna be up the planet teers with Captain Planet. I'm not sure if this is true, but for some reason I believe it.