Black Ops Wii Headset Beats Game to Retail Shelves

Posted by James Newton

PDP Headbanger gets Black Ops upgrade

Remember the PDP Headbanger USB headset, the Wii's first? Due to coincide with the release of Conduit 2 this month – the game now sadly delayed until 2011 – the headset is now getting a black lick of paint to promote the upcoming charts steamroller Call of Duty: Black Ops.

The headset itself is identical to the white Headbanger, except branded with the Call of Duty logo and decked out in black. It should be available in stores before November rolls around, meaning you have plenty of time to get your hands on one before Black Ops launches worldwide on November 9th.

Features:
Seamless, high-quality online chat for Wii gamers
High-quality, noise cancelling microphone and earpiece
Usable on either ear with no need for adjustment
Aesthetically matched to the Wii console and accessories
Mute button and volume control integrated into earpiece
LED indicators for system live and mute functions
Adjustable, flexible microphone boom for maximum comfort
Fully licensed by Nintendo and Activision
MSRP: $24.99

brandonbwii

brandonbwii said:

Kinda funny how this is the only news we have on Black Ops for Wii, and it's not even from Activision.

fishman100

fishman100 said:

Too bad nobody in my neighborhood will play this game...or they have different consoles.

SamsN_ite

SamsN_ite said:

Sweet, too bad this won't be compatible with Wii Speak games though.... I'd love to have this for Monster Hunter Tri as well....

irken004

irken004 said:

I'd gladly pay more to make it wireless. Might as well just wait until Conduit 2 releases.

Marvelousmoo

Marvelousmoo said:

But will it only work for black ops and conduit 2? I guess the game would have to program in having a headset. Or is it sperarate from the game itself? But will this work for goldeneye?

ReddLionz

ReddLionz said:

@Marvelousmoo
No, Goldeneye will not support voice chat. This is pretty cool, but its kind of late now. And I guess its only compatible with Black Ops and Conduit 2.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

Please let this be compatible with Wii Speak games, Nintendo! I hate SHOUTING LIKE THIS WHENEVER I'M PLAYING ANIMAL CROSSING with friends.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Here's the way I see it... This is Nintendo's late-inning trial, much like the Wavebird for GameCube and reliable online for Wii starting with Mario Kart (though sadly too late for Smash Bros.). Let Nintendo realize that the headset is the way to go, they'll then come out with one for Wii Speak games, and the ultimate headset will be made available for Nintendo's next-generation game-changing console. :)

The next Nintendo console... it's only the second thing to ever kill Chuck Norris!

taffy

taffy said:

I'll be too busy with Goldeneye to get this... it's a shame that Goldeneye doesn't support online chat. Speaking of which, anyone know why we have loads of screenshots and vids of Goldeneye (which is awesome) but none for CoD: BO?

Nintendoftw

Nintendoftw said:

If it comes with the game then I will be happy, if not, i won't. Most will be too lazy to go out and buy it.

DangerousDreams

DangerousDreams said:

Call of Duty isn't really my cup of tea ,but I'm glad to see Nintendo is stepping up their game. With more traditional mics, you know instead of the Wii speak thingy, I think Nintendo will satisfy plenty of online Wii gamers. Good move Nintendo, even if it is a bit late.

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

@12: Stop playing Animal Crossing and you won't hate your gaming time anymore. :)

ba-dum-tish

JimLad

JimLad said:

God I hope Conduit 2 turns out good...
So that peripherals like this are more commonplace.
Wii so badly needs it's own Halo/Killzone to give its hardcore image a push.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

"God I hope Conduit 2 turns out good...
So that peripherals like this are more commonplace.
Wii so badly needs it's own Halo/Killzone to give its hardcore image a push.
So far we've had games that prove the concepts work, but not many that actually have depth and ambition. C2 looks to be such a game, with everything I've heard they are really pushing this one."

I agree. However C2 turns out though, I don't think it's going to get enough recognition to change many people's image of the Wii.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Oh yeah, it also needs to sell well.
I guess I'm hoping it at least becomes a powerful brand, that Wii owners can feel proud of, and that High Voltage will continue to improve on the next console. More good games to raise the standard of third parties a little.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Looks like it's time to bag Wii Speak then. No big loss for me. Is this thing wireless with a USB base-station of some kind? I cannot see having a cable running across the floor just for voice.