Serious Metroid: Other M Bug Requires Total Restart

Posted by James Newton

Nintendo aware of issue

A rather serious bug in Metroid: Other M has come to light that requires players who encounter it to load a previous save file or, in dreaded circumstances, start their save file over again.

The issue is a single door on the far side of a lava pit in Sector 3, right after moving on from the desert refinery. If that door is red, you're not getting any further, so reloading an earlier save file is likely your only hope.

A Nintendo customer support representative has stated the company is aware of the issue but could not confirm an update or solution was in the works.

[via uk.wii.ign.com]

Punny

Punny said:

This game has a bug but none of the other Metroids have them?

God, this series is bugist! 2/5. :D

But seriously, I hope I'm past this bug.

StreetRat

StreetRat said:

The only way to get this glitch, I believe, Is if after you fight the Rhedogian for the third time, you turn around and save. For some reason, If you save at this point the door turns red and will not unlock. When you fight HIm a third time, just continue on without saving and don't save until the next one. Or, for that matter, just wait until after you've fought...

Spoiler Alert
Ridley.

Cipher

Cipher said:

StreetRat

StreetRat said:

@PG: Most of the orginal metroids, like Metroid, Super Metroid, And Metroid 2, all had glitches. We just used them to our advantage.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I haven't faced this bug, or any for that matter. Honestly? My major dissapointment is in the depiction of Samus still.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

I remember that there was a similar glitch to this in Super Mario Sunshine, where you could walk underwater. It wouldn't destroy your file, though.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Whoops, guess that one slipped by the testers. Reminds me of the Twilight Princess one. Derp.

JayArr

JayArr said:

I was a little more irked about the stupid Dual Layerd disc not running on my Wii, much like SSB: Brawl.

I had to go buy a lens cleaning disc before I could even play this game.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

it must be exceptionally rare. I haven't heard anyone on the site having this problem, and it managed to sneak past Nintendo, which is saying something. I'm sure they'll fix it with a firmware update.

BJWanlund

BJWanlund said:

Don't think they'll fix it. I heard over at GoNintendo this is actually a bug that only effects pirates and/or "backup" copies. No word on if it's on "installed" copies on hacked Wiis or not.

BJ

SolarJetman

SolarJetman said:

@BJWanlund: Awesome stache. Anyway, if it only affected "backup" or pirates, I doubt Nintendo would even mention the bug. But I'm sure the next system update will include a fix; if it doesn't, I'll defecate in my boot and eat it.

Earendel68

Earendel68 said:

Well, thanks for the advise. I'll have it in mind when I buy this game...

And, indeed, shame...

Chris720

Chris720 said:

I heard Nintendo released a firmware update that fixed the Conduits spawn in the wall problem. So I'm guessing they'll do the same for this eventually.

ReddLionz

ReddLionz said:

It's not a big deal really. Kind of like a 1/100 sort of thing. And I'm glad this game has a dual-layered disc, needs the extra memory to hold all of the awesomeness into one disc.

Punny

Punny said:

@Cloud: At least THOSE bugs never costed save files (especially Metroid, which didn't have one). :)

childofacid

childofacid said:

A firmware update will likely fix this soon. Just like the glitch in Wii Sports Resort that was later resolved with a firmware update.

I remember when my GameCube was defective and I couldn't play Metroid Prime. I had to save every second I could or the game would freeze on me. I didn't realize it was my GameCube till I popped the disk into my Wii and it worked fine.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

The same thing happened to me in Red Steel 2, a door was locked even though it wasn't supposed to be.

jbrodack

jbrodack said:

I don't know how they would fix this considering they have no real patching system in place. Though I do think one of the firmware updates did fix a bug in wii sports resort where the video kept playing showing how to use motion plus.

JulioMorataya

JulioMorataya said:

Just remember not to go back and save after the boss battle, just continue to the grapple area and save in the next save area...

That just worked for me...

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

There are Bugs in Metroids, but notting like this........

Can you Kill it with a Ice Beam, or you need The Hyper Beam?

XD375

XD375 said:

Nintendo actually had a recall on Twilight Princess games. I don't recall them ever using updates.

Link79

Link79 said:

I've played through it twice and nothing happened to me. This isn't the first time a Metroid game had bugs. I recall the first Prime game had a glitch that would cause the game to freeze up while in Chozo ruins. A certain tunnel you'd enter would trigger the glitch and you'd have to reset the gamecube.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

Cipher wrote: "I'm actually slightly disappointed that Nintendo and Team Ninja would let this happen. I doubt Retro Studios would have let it out knowing that such a game-breaking bug was so easily encountered."

You obviously didn't run into the elevator glitch in Corruption. I remember having to start my file over from scratch after unknowingly saving (and said glitch happens in the Pirate Homeworld, which is almost at the end of the game >=O)...

madgear

madgear said:

Apparently this can be fixed with a firmware update. I'm not sure if I've passed this point yet or not - I take it, it's when you first go into Sector 3? After the monster bursts through that wall and you go after it in the desert room?

Tate24

Tate24 said:

Ive complete game and not found any bugs what so ever?

i have say i real enjoyed game love final boss big space monster thing:)

invmat

invmat said:

Some here are saying a firmware update would help, but I´m 99,9% sure that a system software update can´t change anything. However, I heard copying your save file to another save file slot could help...

@childofacid: There is something special about the Wii Sports Resort disc. The part that has the Wii Motion + video is on a different part of the disc than the actual game. You can see this by looking at the Wii Remote when you go from the Wii Motion + video to the actual game. You can see that the Blue lamp will go off. This special part with the video had a lay-out that looked a bit like the system menu, and actually loaded some files of the Wii´s firmware. Therefore, a firmware update was able to fix that. However, this is not the case in Metroid Other M.

b_willers

b_willers said:

There was a game freezing bug in Super Paper Mario too, Nintendo quality assurance just ain't what it use to be :(

BobberyFan98

BobberyFan98 said:

I'm just glad my copy doesn't have this bug. I hope for those who encounter this bug where playing on Hard Mode, since you collect no items in that mode.

-BF98 ;)

DrSlump

DrSlump said:

I've already finished this game. I'm really disappointed about it. It's too short! Far far far far far worse than the metroide prime series.
For me this game is a failure.

Wesker

Wesker said:

@DrSlump yeah except the Metroid fanboys defending it to the hilt I think everyone's pretty dissappointed. A distant second place to Metroid Prime 3 in terms of Metroids this gen. IMO

BobberyFan98

BobberyFan98 said:

@DrSlump & billy-beauts: Tisk tisk tisk. I have to say that this is my favorite game in the whole series (Of course, I have yet to play Fusion or Zero Mission). It's a bit short, but I think the length is good for a first time. But the second time, it's short. I beat the game on hard mode in 4 hours, 35 minutes, and 53 seconds (But I had practically used IGN's guide the entire time). I can see that this is one of the reasons why people do not like this game. But I think the MAJOR issues are the Voice Acting and Cutscenes, and how they point to where you need to go without exploration. But I like that aspect, and I thought the Voice Acting wasn't Shakespeare quality, it was atleast "decent".

-BF98 ;)

Golgo

Golgo said:

u CAN patch wii games. sports resort in EU had a major bug that nintendo patched via a whole firmware update for every (internet connected) console regardless of whether or not u had the game. ridiculous but it worked, time for nintendo to join the 21st century on this kind of matter.

invmat

invmat said:

@Golgo: Have you read my post? (44). Wii Sports Resort was an exceptional case because the system software can load 2 parts from the disc:
1. The video
2. The game
Because Nintendo made a mistake, the system software would sometimes load the video while it should load the game. The System Software decides that, so it could be patched. In Other M, the system software decides almost nothing in the game. It is too late for Nintendo to change anything.
I hope they make better system software on the 3DS... Otherwise, games can´t be updated/patched again for the next 5 years...

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I actually saw a user on Youtube post a video explaining this awhile ago, and luckily I was already past that point. I could imagine how upsetting it would be to get to that point in the game and realize that all of your efforts were in vain. I have actually blown through and beaten the game, and was surprised that I didn't run into that bug "by accident". Great game overall, even with this somewhat crippling bug.

Tails

Tails said:

Never had a problem with it. But hope everything gets fixed soon.

hulklol123456789

hulklol123456789 said:

NO WAY!!!! A bug ruined my experience in metroid prime 2 echoes,I don't want these to happand in these game, not sure if im goin then to buy these game.

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

Been through the game 3 times now--regular, hard, and hard speedrun--hasn't happened any of the three times. Guess I'm lucky...

Also, why would you need to start the game over again?

Also--Nintendo! Thanks for the actual hard drive space and implementation of the 10-years-old ability to update games with issues. That's one of the many things that makes both your console and your online service/offerings so cutting edge and comparable to 360/PS3.

@BJ - that I can believe. Pirates are normally the most vocal/entitled among the bunch, despite contributing to nothing but the continually rising prices/costs of developing games. First to complain, last to pay---love that logic. "This game broke my homebrew channel wtf!? I only use it for leet apps and not piracy!!" Just like people that buy waterpipes from headshops use them for tobacco. Nice try.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

lol I can't help but laugh at all these critical bugs that get into these games. Sadly I am the type of person who would back track to the last save after a boss so I'm sure I would encounter this bug probably. Good thing I don't have the game though!

vakama94

vakama94 said:

damn, still, i will maybe rent the game in this case, until nintendo says it´s bug free

hulklol123456789

hulklol123456789 said:

I hate these types of bugs, I was like 5 hours trying to advance in prime 2 echoes, fnally because I can't I read up a wlkthrought, and I see, there was a bug, and I was like f*ck

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

ha, what do you expect. these people made fatal frame 4 as well which had a fatal bug.

3DS

3DS said:

haha this dident happen to me just finished the game today (well by finished i mean mb just died)