Nintendo Release Schedule Outs Mario Party 2, Super Bonk and More

Posted by James Newton

Virtual Console still twitching

It's very rare to get any kind of heads-up for what's coming to Virtual Console, but this release schedule from Nintendo's Netherlands office contains a few surprising treats for the year ahead.

N64 party game Mario Party 2 is set to launch in December, just in time for the party season, with Super Bonk for Super NES landing on Virtual Console in December too.

Regrettably only two other titles make the list: Neo Geo basketballer Street Hoop in October and Hudson Soft's NES side-scroller Faxanadu arrives in November.

Although only four games feature on the list, several more games have been rated for distribution across Europe, so the remainder of the year may not be quite as lean as first thought.

Related Games

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

I still don't get why we're not getting the first game before the second one...

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Hmm did I miss this when checking the site because I made a forum 15 minutes ago about this

Denieru

Denieru said:

@ Dragoon

Because MP2 is waaaaaaaaaaaay better than MP1.

Not interested, since I own MP2 for good ol' N64.

SuperDude95

SuperDude95 said:

@ Dragoon
Nintendo would get SUED over the first game due to the spinning control stick games.

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

omg omg omg omg mario party 2! :D
the best mario party! (well, after the first one)

DarkLloyd

DarkLloyd said:

@7. SuperDude95 30 Sep 2010, 21:28 BST

@ Dragoon

well they could simply remove it, but in all honesty i dont see why that issue matters now when that was YEARS ago

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

Finally, the MPs get released. Shame the first is getting skipped, but meh.

Maybe the rarer and pricer 3rd will see a release soon after.

James

James said:

@Koops3 - It's fine, don't worry :)

@Everyone asking why MP2 not MP3 - Who knows? If any of us understood Nintendo's VC thought process we'd all be in a much happier state, I think :)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Nice that they're skipping right past the first game, apparently. I hope MP3 and Super Bonk 2 arrive eventually, too.

Yellowtails

Yellowtails said:

I hope this will also be for the U.S. I played Mario Party 2 so many times. This should already have a release months ago. Now I'm grateful that this is finally getting released. Thank you Nintendo! (Since they didn't keep us waiting for Mario Tennis, I'm sure they'll do the same with this game). Now if they could just release Mario Party 1 and 3, that would be great.

RadioShadow

RadioShadow said:

I have the original Mario Partyk, so I'm not fuse about them skipping that one.

I never played Mario Party 2 and getting a copy isn't cheap. I once saw GameStation (UK Shop) sell it for £25! 0_0 At least the VC will be a lot cheaper!

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

I've said it before: While maybe there are still a lot of games, to come out, there are only so many left that enough people will care about. Nintendo actually wants the VC to keep going as long as possible, and to do that they have to spread out the releases more and more.

Well at least that's my theory. :P

JDesensitized

JDesensitized said:

Mario Party 2 and Super Bonk... So close to the ones I want! (MP3 and SB2!)

Here's hoping this means Hudson is finally picking up the slack. Bring back the Turbo!

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Not bad, but I heard Super Bonk was kind of ill, and not in a good way.

I'd much rather have seen games like Mischief Makers, Gun-Nac, Metal Storm, and Yoshi's Island be brought forth, but hey, Faxanadu and Mario Party 2 will do (not intended to rhyme).

Yosher

Yosher said:

Mario Party 2, awesome! That's always been my favourite Mario Party due to those costumes. If they'll ever make a Mario Party 9, those costumes have to be re-introduced!

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Simply put, Nintendo don't want to fork out special gloves for stupid kids again. MP1 was a huge issue with people using their palms to spin the stick as fast as they could.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Woot! I'm a big fan of the first few Mario Party games. This is good news.

ocarinaoftime

ocarinaoftime said:

this is my fav mario party game ever.....im so goin to buy this when it gets to the american virtual console.....

Yosher

Yosher said:

I'm actually hoping Mario Party 3 will get there eventually as well. That's the only Mario Party (besides Advance) that I don't own or never did own.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I don't know if I'll download this since I still have the original game that plays like a charm, but it is nice that another N64 game is coming to the VC.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I'm good w/ Faxanadu, I've got unfinished business. I guess I'm never gonna get to play mischief makers unless I go buy an N64 **sigh**

pixelman

pixelman said:

It's twitching? It's twitching, because it's got my axe embedded in its nerrrrvous system!

anyone that doesn't get the reference is a fail lotr fan. >.>

thaantman

thaantman said:

glad 2c mp2 comin out was definitely my favorite with mp3 comin close. question does anybody knows whether thoses adpters were release so that it would be possible 2 use old nintendo controllers on wii. I remember hearing bout them awhile back and not sure if dey ever came out cause I still have 3 n64 controllers that's itchin for some use

NintendoWorld1

NintendoWorld1 said:

I might get Super Bonk, I'm not sure though. So is Vc taking a break? oh dear if they are because of these games could have come next week. Oh well can't moan though....

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

A Mario Party game finally on VC! :D I don't care what number it is, I just want one (or all 3 :D). Ah sweet, sweet Mario Party memories, how long I have waited for thee...

Morphbug

Morphbug said:

i remeber the old mario party 1 days, i still have scars :P
mario party 1 may not be rereleased at all... i still like it though.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@HappyHappy - it's not coming to the VC.
I don't remember getting blisters whenever I played the original Mario Party. Although that may be from the fact that I haven't played it in so long.
It's nice to see a Mario Party title hit the VC. :)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

The odd thing is, MP2 had the mini-game that created all the blister issues in the 1st game. Maybe releasing it(MP2) is more of a pr thing, as (the 1st) MP is the one w/ the rep for the blisters. But I repeat, MP2 has the same mini-game, & I don't think anything noticeable on the player's end was altered in said mini-game(Tug-of-War something) I think it was a 2 vs. 2, or 1 vs. 3 mini-game

Maybe they can't emulate the 1st successfully? I'll bet it's the blister issue, though.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

You know......I was never a fan of MP2. 1 and 3 were my favorites on N64. As for the rest, not a bad lineup, if I may say so. :)

Codyshelby

Codyshelby said:

This is great news!!! This is, hands down, the best mario party game ever created. And frankly its the only virtual console game I've truly looked forward too...That and DK64.

FantasiaWHT

FantasiaWHT said:

Dear Nintendo, please release a compilation of all Mario Party games! Even better, add a tool that lets players build their own boards using all gameplay elements and of course, all mini-games.

Raise your hand if you miss having boo steal stars! Or Bowser Revolutions!

miletich3

miletich3 said:

I still disapprove of Nintendo releasing MP2 without releasing MP1, even if it is a major improvement over the latter.

But even if Nintendo were to make the joystick mini-games a bit easier to win, just a BIT, would you still get blisters just from slightly jiggling the joystick?

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

That's cool but I guess they like skipping first games in a series, kinda like how we have super c and not contra for some stupid reason. As well as no Bloodlines and Hard Corps on the Genesis.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

The only reason people got blisters from the first Mario Party was from a simple trick, which I discovered by myself unfortunately:

Certain minigames have a control method involving constant rotation of the Control Stick, such as in Bowser's Tug O' War, in order to win the minigame. It was actually Tug O' War which caused the problems for me funnily enough!

People came across an easier way to win those games by resting the top of the stick on the palm of their hand and rapidly rotating their entire hand or arm in a circle. While this did help people win the game in question, the raised rings on the control stick tip rubbed the person's skin, which eventually built-up into a blister. To counter this, Nintendo provided padded gloves to people specifically to utilise this control method, but the damage was quite literally already done, and people completely turned-off Mario Party. In Mario Party 2, a much safer control method was used in similar minigames, involving rapidly tapping the A and B buttons in succession. Some games, like Balloon Burst, already used this method, so it was easily implemented into the gameplay in place of the stick rotation.

This is likely the reason for Nintendo topping future Control Sticks with a soft, rubbery coating in place of hard plastic. Still, it's unusual for Mario Party to not be released, especially taking into account the fact that the Classic Controller (PRO)'s Control Stick tips have a smooth, rubbery surface with only one slightly-elevated ring around the outside, meaning there's little risk of injury. Of course, Nintendo could be taking a precaution for the reason that not many people may buy the game, and in the interest of avoiding poor sales they may be avoiding release of the game for now. Or it may be coming during the next few months, just on a surprise date before Mario Party 2, since Mario Party 2 was one of the more popular titles and may attract greater sales during the Holiday season. I for one would be happy with enough Points to download one of each for Christmas and not have any more games 'under the tree', since I'm easily pleased! I would've preferred a 3DS, but Mario Party 2 (and possibly Mario Party)? Yes please!

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Which is the one with the Bombsketball mini-game? I loved that game :)

Incognito_D

Incognito_D said:

the palm blisters thing shouldn't dissuade them from releasing the first game. It's my business how I choose to play the game. If I want to smash the controller off my face, causing injury, that's my choice!

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

YES! This is awesome!

I very much loved the first two Mario Party games, and was wondering when they'd finally show themselves on the Virtual Console.

Nintendo-is-my-love

Nintendo-is-my-love said:

this is the only mario party i own im getting it on vc anyway i love mario party i think 1 and 3 should come out aswell imean people will buy number 1 whether its because they love it or because they want to have the set i no i would buy number 1 despite all the bad talk about it and the fact ive never played all the other mario partys are great and the original of anything is always the best so although it might not b the best im not saying it is or isnt im sure its good