Mario Collection Special Pack Coming to Japan

Posted by Zach Kaplan

It's-a-me, the rest of the world's envy!

Online retailer Play-Asia has just added a title to their catalogue that confirms our earlier speculation: this generation will indeed see its own Super Mario All-Stars in the form of Super Mario Collection Special Pack, which is set to come with a bonus booklet of artwork and other fun information as well as a full-fledged soundtrack CD.

Super Mario is celebrating his 25th anniversary this year. Now's the time to rediscover the fun of all the Super Mario games you have played. All instalments will be included in this super package, enjoy the classic platform action from the 80s and step up to the new ones. You can even experience the rare Super Mario USA journey.

Besides gaming, the package comes with a booklet with all the game sketches, illustrations and development information. Come see how Mario evolved over the years as you listen to the special soundtracks. Favourite themes and arrangements from all existing Mario games are collected into this CD. If you are a true fan, you couldn't miss this package.

Super Mario USA is Japan's title for the western release of Super Mario Bros. 2, an adaptation of their own Yume Koujou Doki Doki Panic. As for the rest, well, could they really include all of Mario's outings? What about doing so with updated graphics, as Nintendo updated those of All-Stars's set to Super Nintendo quality? Well... could they? Please?

Play-Asia lists a price tag of $34.90 USD and a Japanese release date of October 21. We'll let you know any and all news as it breaks.

Special thanks to Paul for the tip.

[via play-asia.com]

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

I don't care if they update it or not, I want that Mario music CD!

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

The games have female characters but they always have to put Mario's name first?

God these games are sexist. 2/5

Hokori

Hokori said:

I was hoping for the VC version, maybe itll do a reverse Punch-Out!! style, but I will get this for the Soundtrack

Metroid133

Metroid133 said:

@Chicken Brutus- No, this isn't Metroid: Other M, and no you aren't X-Play. :p

I really hope this comes out here in North America. :)

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

man this is nice! I'm glad they are going through with this after all! I mean, I have all the games, but the extras sound nice, and its weird to think we finally get an updated mario collection. I never thought about a magician mario before, why isn't that a suit in one of his games? Love the caption btw. Now if only it would include things like Mario vs Wario and (lol) Hotel Mario!

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@PSICOffee:
Hotel Mario is part of CDi All-Stars, which will be released when video game standards have fallen far enough that it becomes financially viable.

kevohki

kevohki said:

Hopefully it will also include Super Mario Word and Yoshi's Island. If it doesn't, it's not as special as the title suggests.

Wesker

Wesker said:

You guys all seem so happy, I don't mean to rain on your parade or anything but did you know that all these games are already available in the West! I know! I can't believe you didn't know that! I have proof: just go to "Wii Shop" and search "Mario" and I'm sure you find them.

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@billy-beauts: All-Stars made SMB2(US) playable without the warps, and the slot machines' timing is a bit different. that's the main reason i've been pining for it, anyway, though just having it all over again will be a welcome blast from my past :3

Wesker

Wesker said:

"All instalments will be included in this super package, enjoy the classic platform action from the 80s and step up to the new ones"

Does that mean Super Mario All Stars? Ok I'm sorry, ignore my last comment. I guess it wasn't explicit enough for me on my first reading.

fishman100

fishman100 said:

$35???? That's the price of a DS game here in NA!
Please please pleaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee bring it over to America!!!!!

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

I get alot of DS games for $20-$30
Good price. Even though it can all be bought on VC It's probably limited edition. Like Metroid Prime Trillogy

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I'd love for Super Mario Land 1 & 2 to be added similarly updated with new SNES style graphics.

Pod

Pod said:

Just how much Mario is in this thing?

Is Mario World 1 and 2 in there?

Is Mario 64 in there, running in the Galaxy engine?

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

"All installments will be included in this super package." Jeez...does this mean I bought Super Mario Galaxy 1/2 for no reason?!

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

@Pod: Mario 64 in there, running in the Galaxy engine.

Don't get your hopes up, Nintendo is not made of money.

Note: Nintendo is Made of Money it Prints Money

ueI

ueI said:

Oh come on! There's no way ALL the Mario games are on this disk. That would have to include Land, World, Hotel, 64, and Galaxy. I might get it, depending on what games it includes, and whether or not it comes out here.

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

i want this but only for the music CD for some reason noa is against releasing music cds over here

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

So Which Mario games will be included? Will SMWorld and Yoshi's Island along with Mario 64 be included? It would be very dissapointing if it just had what the SNES version had.

RowdyRodimus

RowdyRodimus said:

If this doesn't come out in all regions I am seriously done with Nintendo. For years we've had to put up with them not giving a damn about the rest of the world outside of Japan even though their sales are higher in NA (alone) and the rest of the world (combined).

We are treated like second hand citizens by NOJ while we make them richer and richer. Maybe if more people got fed up with their crap and started doing something about it (ie, stopping the support for them for every crumb they give us) they might change their tune and realize what side of their bread is buttered.

tldr; Nintendo of Japan are ethnicentrists who care nothing about the rest of the world but still expect our complete love and support (and cash).

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

So wait, this compilation costs $50 AUD and it contains Super Mario Bros., Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario Land, Super Mario Land 2, Super Mario World, Super Mario World 2, Super Mario 64, and Super Mario Sunshine, plus an artbook and a soundtrack? How could that be? Why can't it be released worldwide?

Oh wait, it said every Mario title...

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

I want it I want it I want it I want it NOW!
I'll just ask for this to be released worldwide on the Make a Wish thread. Nobody will dare to corrupt it.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I'm telling you that if this doesn't have Super Mario World and Yoshi's Island as part of the pack in this day and age then it's just a complete rip-off imo.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I wouls definetley get this if this was an NSMB style remake but it might still be worth it for the booklet and soundtrack if it's at a budget price.

Alphack3r

Alphack3r said:

Wait...did I hear someone say "Yoshi's Island"? GAH! I love YI!!! It's too bad it's never seen a release beyond the original, that GBA remake, & sorta that DS one...though that's more like just a re-visit.
Anyway, I totally with whoever said that about SMW & YI! Without them, I see no need for this collection (well, YI is understandable, but if they DARE leave out SMW I might have 2 pack up & go to Movemodo! >:3)

NintendoWorld1

NintendoWorld1 said:

They (Nintendo) can't forget Mario the Lost levels surely? This collection is getting quite a buzz on the internet! I just hope Nintendo don't just release this for Japan. Nintendo sells games and systems in other countries so I'm hoping they won't leave us all out (UK, Europe, North America and Australia, etc) if they do I will never forgive Nintendo for it. That's a tad harsh but it's true, I'm a loyal Nintendo fan and so are the good people on this very site. I've ordered all ready pre-odered this on Play-Asia and they are normally quite good but I'm worried they will sell out and I'll miss out. Sadly I won't buy a Japanese Wii for this as I am hoping we will get it, So I'm spending £20.00 ($30.00) for a CD soundtrack. I might order another one and keep it sealed....

I'm really excited at the prospect of this game coming out and have many reasons why but my post would never end!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I bet it get's a UK release but only VC!! ? I bet Nintendo accountants are working out what's the best way of releasing the game, it's a SNES game it should be on the VC but if it gets a 'hard' version release then it I think it will or could sell more. Nintendo could use their offical magazine publications to their advantage of promoting the game and building public knowledge! If Nintendo released the game bundled with a Wii, (I know that's a massive if) I think it will bring back the past! but then again I'm dreaming...
Nintendo will announce the 3DS release date that's this month, so maybe the big N will make a mention of it. Also people should stop buying nes VC versions of Mario that could help...

Nintendophile

Nintendophile said:

I really hope they add more to the disc than just what was on the original Mario All Stars. Maybe if they had the both the original NES graphics and SNES graphics versions? That'd be pretty neat. But I'm not holding my breath for Mario Land 1 & 2, Mario 64, or Mario Sunshine. (Though if it had all those, I'd be one happy camper!)

TJ_Spyke

TJ_Spyke said:

Um, Nintendo announced this over a week ago. Why was Nintendo Life so late in posting this? Every other site posted the info last week when Nintendo announced the game.

VGExplorers

VGExplorers said:

Man, I gotta look more into this, if they add Super Mario 64 with Galaxy's engine I would be stunned.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

There's a special Super Mario All-Stars cartridge that was only release for US and Europe which also include Super Mario World on it for the Super NES. If you already got that game, there's no reason to get this. Also remember this is for Japan only, if this were to be release for US, I'm sure Super Mario World may be included but that's just a maybe since the second Super Mario All-Stars was never released in Japan. Also Nintendo release this game compilation purposely to celebrate Mario's 25th birthday, it had nothing to do with them planning to release a Mario collection for the Wii. If a collection was their main intent, then every main Mario games from NES to GameCube would be on the disc. Anyways there's still Mario's 30th birthday, maybe World, Yoshi's Island, 64 and Sunshine would be include in a collection by then.