Lufia DS Ready to Conquer Your Free Time in October

Posted by James Newton

October 19th, to be precise

Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals is just one of many impressive-looking RPGs on the way to DS this year, with a richer heritage than many might suspect, having been highly regarded in its Super Nintendo days. DS owners will get their chance to see what the fuss is about when the game hits North America on October 19th, 2010.

Taking a more action-oriented approach to its turns-based predecessor, Lufia should be a winning mix of puzzles, battles and story. Here's the press release and screenshots to tell you more.

Burlingame, Calif., September 9, 2010 - Natsume, a worldwide developer and publisher of family-oriented video games, announced today that Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals has gone gold and will be released for the Nintendo DS on October 19th. The game will retail at an MSRP of $29.99 and is rated E 10+ by the ESRB.

"It's time to return to the world of Lufia!" said Hiro Maekawa, President and CEO of Natsume. "With its thrilling action, mind-bending puzzles, and moving story, Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals sets a new bar for action RPGs on the DS!"

The Sinistrals, legendary gods of destruction spoken of in feared whispers, have returned. The world's mightiest armies are helpless to stop the fear and chaos spreading across the land. It's up to the fiery monster hunter Maxim and his eclectic band of adventurers to put a stop to the Sinistrals. Their adventures will take them across an expansive world packed with deadly monsters, powerful items, and diabolical puzzles!

This action RPG features six playable characters to choose from, each with their own special abilities and attacks. Players will need to master them all if they want to stand a chance against the game's fierce enemies and towering bosses that fill both screens!

SwerdMurd

SwerdMurd said:

I mean it does look good....I wish nostalgia didn't play so heavily into my feelings on the series--I know I'm automatically gonna like this less than I should.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

There's a part of me that will never be completely satisfied until they remake Lufia 2 as it was originally, a turn-based RPG. But this seemed good at E3, so I'll give it a fair chance.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Wow....putting this one on my list of future games to play. I loved the first one, and its about time we see another of these types of RPGs coming out on DS, and Etrain Odyssey is right upon us as well :D

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

For the sake of what made the originals so good, I hope this one can capture that "magic" of the originals, PunnyGuy. I'm hoping the change of presentation, as well as the jump from turn-based to action, doesn't keep this game from shining like it did back then. I'm almost a nervous wreck... I feel like I'M creating this game, lol... I just hope the newbs enjoy it. :(

Corbie, James, are you guys manning the helm of the review for this when it comes?

fishman100

fishman100 said:

Dual Screen Bosses? Sounds nice..
Oh, and did anyone else besides me think that they guy on the right was Lucian from Pokemon?

hulklol123456789

hulklol123456789 said:

it looks good, it looks good, anyways I still want to try TWETY, Golden Sun: DD and FF: T4HOL...

And im still playing dragon quest IX, so probably I will buy 1 (or 2) that get the best reviews.

KingMike

KingMike said:

That's going to be an expensive week (with Kirby Wii coming out, I think).
I enjoyed both SNES games.
Well, I guess I'll prepare to be disappointed again (never finished the GBC or GBA games). (of course, I'd love for my pessimism to be proven wrong :) )

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Yep, I'll be reviewing the game should it hit in the US first.

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

being the fact that the original is one of the greatest rpgs made this game just butchered that and it looks so bad i can't imagine playing the game and liking it

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@TheSolarKnight: She USED to...and Guy wasn't NEARLY so buff and ugly, either. They really screwed up the character design on this one.

And on that note (plus other obvious stuff already mentioned), I nominate this for "Most Controversial Video Game Remake Ever." I'd be more at ease about it if I thought they'd give us the original on VC while they were at it, but I have my doubts about that as well.:(

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

It looks awesome, but I'm still iffy on it. It's hard to tell if the negative comments and reviews are just whining, or if it's actually indicative of the quality of the game.:P