Itagaki Makes Curious Remark about Nintendo's Next Console

Posted by James Newton

Not 3DS either

Wii is approaching its fourth birthday across the world, with no announced successor currently on the horizon. We know it's in development but there's been no clue as to its form or any such thing. So when an industry figure such as Tomonobu Itagaki, former head of Team Ninja, makes cryptic comments about the company's next home console it makes interesting reading.

Itagaki, whose new game Devil's Third was shown off at this year's Tokyo Game Show, spoke about how the game's technology was scalable so it could be brought across to other platforms. When quizzed if this meant 3DS, Itagaki responded cryptically:

More than that, although I can't say this easily because I don't have any information, it's possible that Nintendo could release a higher end console. Something like that.

Whilst admittedly there's precious little information there – it's a little more than possible that Nintendo will release a higher-end console – for a developer such as Itagaki to be developing his latest game with one eye on the future console is perhaps a hint it's on the way sooner than some might believe. Or he genuinely has no information and is just speculating, or possibly a combination of both. We'll have to wait and see.

[via andriasang.com]

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

I for one could wait another 10yrs before anything new comes out, but bring it on I suppose.

Birdman

Birdman said:

Well, I guess that's Itagaki for you. Imma go back to doing my homework now.

Yadoking

Yadoking said:

Eh, I would like the next console from Nintendo to be secret for at least another 2 years. After that, I wouldn't mind hearing about one. But even after Nintendo let's us know, I still would like a nice lengthy wait.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

I don't like the idea of a new home console coming up already. Generally its been a 5 year cycle on average, but the Wii I think may go 7. There is still far too much untapped potential not being used, and instead 3rd party developers just resort to literally waging the Wiimote to do anything instead of all the different gestures we saw in the original Wii Sports. When we get a new Pikmin, Starfox, and F-Zero on the Wii, then I'll say we've reached the climax of the systems life. Its been a bit easier ending other consoles in the past because there were so many good games on those systems (SNES and NES in particular) but when I play a console more for the downloaded games than I do for actual disc based games, something clearly doesn't feel right. At least the Gamecube had a lot of great games for the hardcore crowd, instead of all this focus on casuals.

armoredghor

armoredghor said:

@7 & 8 We have only had 5 generations and now we can release updates and possibly hardware updates-the PS3 does it. Maybe from here on out, we could have longer generations-like 10 years (real 10 years-not PS 10 years)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Even if Nintendo said tomorrow they were working on a new console, it would still probably be 18 - 24 months before it got released in the U.S.

killer6370

killer6370 said:

in my opinion they can release it 2016 then ill buy it because personally i think they Wii can do more than we get actually theres still so many wiiware to come and loads of vc game so i still have a lot to play

zionich

zionich said:

I still stand by now that Nintendo has made a system that appeals to the masses that dont usually play games, so much that Sony and Microsoft joined the band wagon. I could see them bringing out a powerhouse to reclaim the throne.

Objection

Objection said:

I predict Holiday 2012 for the WiiToo. We'll see but that's my guess.

As for Itagaki, Idk really. I lost a lot of respect for him during that scandal and then he left his main team (Team NG.)

damascus

damascus said:

its already a given that the next wii console will be HD, what we dont know is what will nintendo do to make it unique. or maybe it will just make a really powerful console and be done with it.

of course nintendo needs to make sure it has a really rich online environment... maybe even abasements/trophies (i'm thinking they should call it medals and maybe link it to you club nintendo so you can claim prizes).

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Nintendo's going to NEED a new console pretty soon at the rate Wii sales are declining. Remember, the darned thing was technologically outdated four years ago...it should come as no surprise that it can't really survive a full console cycle, much less last longer than they have traditionally done. So they either bring out new console hardware or concentrate on the 3DS and pay relatively little attention to the console market for a while.

AVahne

AVahne said:

The new system shall display in SuD(Super Definition). We shall all be forced to buy SuD TVs in 5 years.

Ren

Ren said:

sweet. I could totally see him knowing something, but this early anyone who knows anything has probably had to sign confidentiality waivers. He's walking a fine line saying even that much, but he was smart to word it that way so we know it's probably for real and gives us something to drool and pull our hair about. I think to know the context we'd have to actually hear his words, not just see them in text. i.e. did he use a "wink, wink" tone, or was he actually just speculating. either way it's true in some sense, so cue the mouth frothing.

Faron

Faron said:

Nintendo does what they want. They are not lambs who travel in packs... but lone hunters who do whatever they want. Let's just leave that mass mentality to Sony and Microsoft.

imapterodactyl

imapterodactyl said:

That comment means absolutely nothing. It's pure speculation, and was nothing more than a simple example on Itagaki's part. Some of you guys will jump at absolutely anything.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

All speculation and doesn't mean anything. As I've seen a person post once before, first, the 3DS needs to come out, THEN, the announcement needs to come of the new console. I think it will go like this:

April-- 3DS releases in the US, now worldwide released, the world goes nuts til further notice
E3 2011 (date ?)-- Nintendo announces the first details about the next system
E3 2012 (date ?)-- Hype is at critical mass, Nintendo release all info, and announces that the new console with be out in Japan Sept 2012 and possibly by Nov 2012 across the rest of the globe.

That plan is conjecture, but it follows how Nintendo "normally" releases systems and info. Mark me down, NL, MARK ME! :D

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

It's not going to be the Wii 2 it will be the Super Wiitendo. Much like how the Wii was the rebirth of the NES in some ways the Super Wiitendo will be like the Super Nintendo and may be the best system ever created.

Edwrd

Edwrd said:

Devil's Third is slated for 2012 release, does he know something or is his main point their code base is scalable and flexible enough to be ported to a new more capable Nintendo console, which is also saying the Wii is not powerful enough to run the game, but if Nintendo came up with a higher end successor, they could port it no problem, the technology behind the game has good architecture.

Demonic_St33V

Demonic_St33V said:

I can see it now: December 21st, 2012 - Nintendo releases their newest console. As a direct result of the shortage induced launch day riots, civilization collapses - And we all DIE.... Over a package of chocolate biscuits.