Double Up in Sonic Colours Co-Op Multiplayer

Posted by James Newton

Wii version gets team play

When screenshots of Sonic Colours Wii leaked recently showing grey Sonics with antennae, it was hard to know what to make of them. It's considerably easier now though, as Sega has revealed the first information of the game's multiplayer element.

Unlocked through collecting hidden special rings in the single-player game, the two-player mode is focused on players using Wisp power-ups and plenty of skill to survive a Dr Robotnik-designed assault course. Players take control of robotic Sonics rather than the real flesh-and-quills hero, hence the antennae and pallid complexion.

With the ability to combine Wisp power-ups to create all-new ones – a laser drill was mentioned – and the promise of a stern challenge for experienced players, the multiplayer sounds like a promising new addition to the title. Sonic Colours is released in November.

[via uk.wii.ign.com]

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

Could be fun~
Is it online multiplayer? Judging by the screenshot up there lacking splitscreen, if it's not online then it'll probably have to use auto-catchup when your character falls behind and off the screen. Which is icky in a game like Sonic.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I still don't know why there is a "Nintendo Wi-fi" stam on the boxart. How is Sonic Colours going to utilise wi-fi? :S

jack0

jack0 said:

poopies yea this game looks soo good, no doodoo-butter dark sonic!!!

Xkhaoz

Xkhaoz said:

Maybe the Red Sonic the the new character that dude from Archie was talking about.

Ickaser

Ickaser said:

Wait. So can one combine Wisps in both multi- and single player, or is that just in multiplayer?

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

The only way I can see this working on split screen is if it uses the rubberband method like in Knuckles Chaotix.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

So there's co-op, but not in the "main" adventure... well, I guess that's better than nothing and most of all, it doesn't appear to take anything away from the overall game. Gotta love the suspense when SEGA drops little bits piece by piece when we constantly worry about the Sonic Cycle. It really would be something if SEGA could get it "right" this time... wouldn't that be something? :|

Punny

Punny said:

A red Sonic, huh? They should change the title to "Sonic Recolors." :D

Nintendogeek46

Nintendogeek46 said:

@10: I think it's only in multiplayer.
@13: I think Sega's getting it right this time. I know, it's almost too good to be true.

This looks pretty awesome. I'm most definitely getting this for Christmas.

MrB4

MrB4 said:

Co-op is a nice idea and all, but come on, if you are already going with a red sonic, just put Knuckles there instead.

James

James said:

I think it's just so they can keep saying it's staying true to Sonic's roots by having Sonic as the only playable character, personally :)

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

I wasn't expecting it, and i did want this in Unleashed (or something similar) so i'm pretty happy!

Popyman

Popyman said:

Sounds amazing! I hope it's online, my friends kind of suck with games like these...

Splat

Splat said:

I haven't played a Sonic game in years, this does look sharp doubt I will buy it but might rent it.

Boonehams

Boonehams said:

Is anyone else getting the feeling that Sonic Colors is going to turn out to be better than Sonic 4?

Sonic1994CD

Sonic1994CD said:

Hey I now know why they call it Sonic Colors, because of that red Sonic. This game keep's looking better and better.

Popyman

Popyman said:

^....no, it's called Sonic Colors because of the COLORFUL ailens that give power-ups...

ExploderReviews

ExploderReviews said:

@22 thats like comparing mega man 10 to... um... uh... is there a console mega man game thats 2.5D? Never mind.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

If you look at the videos you can see that there really are no 3D parts everything is 2D so the further the Sonics get apart the more the camera zooms out. And it seems to be very team based, too. Not to mention it uses some pretty cool retro sounding music.

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

I'm not the only one here to see a pink Sonic, right? That definitely doesn't look red to me...

JimLad

JimLad said:

I think this one is for all the sprite comic makers out there, they should have called it... Sonic re-colours
BOOM :D
...ehh
Also I agree with #2 having to unlock a multiplayer mode is mega lose.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

In multiplayer, insted of Robo Blue Sonic v.s. Robo Red Sonic, they should have Sonic v.s. Shadow! I honestly think that would be better.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Visuals are generally always good from Sega, but I need a revw. I have preed the DS version but need a revw for the wii. I am very interested though and co-op is an interesting addition.

NeoShinobi

NeoShinobi said:

Hmm, I knew this game would have some sort of mutiplayer to it. And it looks okay I guess, but this is still only a rental to me.

VGExplorers

VGExplorers said:

@36 Thanks for the link, and judging from that link, the Co-Op Gameplay looks really basic and easy. Cool, but basic.