Yep, Flipnote Studio Is One Way To Make a Music Video

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Arman Bohn's hundreds of animations culminate into one big bang of talent

But nobody seems to have taken it as far as musician Arman Bohn.

Brain Games is the third song from his album Bits to get the music video treatment, and what's interesting about the video is that the majority of its parts were created using Flipnote. It wasn't just one big animation either, oh no. Hundreds of individual Flipnotes were hand-drawn and exported as animated .gifs, which were then imported and painstakingly reanimated in Adobe After Effects.

Bohn goes into much greater detail of the process on his Web site, including a mind-boggling frame grab of the master composition, which serves just as much as a testament to his talent as it does his insanity.

Bits features 13 songs conceptually inspired by Atari 2600 titles. Brain Games was inspired by the game of the same name, which included joyous activities such as finding the symbol that doesn't belong and a variant of Simon where you need to memorize and mimic an ever-growing series of numbers — with the game shrieking at you to mess you up. You can check out the album for yourself over at its Bandcamp page; there's even a tune dedicated to the classic Adventure.

Taking a long-deserved break from Flipnote, Bohn is currently polishing up an EP featuring six covers of 80's tunes tracked in Korg DS-10+. Among the artists covered are Tears For Fears, Depeche Mode and OMD.

Not one to give his DSi a rest, Bohn also said he's eagerly awaiting the North American release of the excellent DSiWare music creation app Rytmik.

Aren't we all, Bohn. Aren't we all.

Direct link

[via armanbohn.com]

Dicesukeinuzuka

Dicesukeinuzuka said:

lol Sonic, I was just on that site, plagued with "erase layer," spin offs more popular than the original, "am I cute," "boys/girls only," etc but their are still some gems among the pebbles :D

HipsterDashie

HipsterDashie said:

The annoying thing about flipnote studio is that, when viewing via my DS, I can't see any flipnotes that aren't European, even if I have my preferences on the site set to worldwide.

Punny

Punny said:

If anyone heard a thump, that would be my jaw hitting the floor. :)
This is so good, it doesn't look like it was even made on a DSi, just a normal computer! I also love the smooth animation, original concept (no Lazer Collection spoofs or Phineas and Ferb here!), and no annoying chipmunk-y voices. In other words, fantastic.

BleachFan

BleachFan said:

"A quick trip over to Flipnote Hatena is all it takes to see just how fantastic the free DSiWare animation tool Flipnote Studio can be when in talented hands."

:D AHAHAHAHAhahahahaa....hahaha...hmm... :|
(I have to search around a lot for good ones...)

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

I see how all the great talents at Flipnote Hatena developed, and now they are indeed huge.

Now this is GREAT.

No Shoop da Woops, Do You Like Waffles copies, petitions or Justin Bieber flipnotes to bother me. To me, whenever I switch from Americas to Japn, Japan HAS wAAAy more talent on display than the Americas.

Thank god for good creators like BOSS, gizmo etc.

MrPanic

MrPanic said:

This is probably the best thing I saw from flipnote yet.

(too bad the music sucks)