Prepare for a DSi and XL Price Crash Stateside

Posted by James Newton

May hint at 3DS pricing

With the official unveiling of the 3DS's price and release date just under one month away, Nintendo of America has started doing some of the preparatory work by dropping the suggested retail price of the DSi and DSi XL to $149.99 and $169.99 respectively.

Shaving around $20 off both consoles' prices on September 12th, the savings pave the way for the announcement of the 3DS pricing in late September. Although the press release contains no information on the 3DS, the machine will undoubtedly sit atop the pricing pyramid, information we'll find out on September 29th.

Nintendo Dropping Prices of Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL Systems on Sept. 12

Latest Versions of Best-Selling Portable Video Game System in History to Be Priced at $149.99 and $169.99

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Nintendo is dropping the suggested retail price of its Nintendo DSi™ and Nintendo DSi XL™ video game systems. Effective Sept. 12, the new suggested retail price of the Nintendo DSi system will be $149.99, while the new suggested retail price for the Nintendo DSi XL system will be $169.99. The Nintendo DS™ Lite model will remain at a suggested retail price of $129.99. The Nintendo DS family of video game systems is the best-selling in the history of the U.S. and worldwide. The new prices offer consumers tremendous value for their money while providing access to the best portable video game experiences possible.

“We know shoppers want to get the maximum value out of every dollar they spend,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “Our new Nintendo DSi prices make it easier than ever for consumers to access the tremendous variety of games, applications and social tools on the Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL systems.”

The Nintendo DSi and Nintendo DSi XL systems offer consumers access to more than 1,300 packaged games and more than 200 downloadable games. Both systems feature two built-in cameras and photo- and sound-manipulation software that provide for a more social experience. Users can wirelessly upload photos to Facebook with the touch of a button (wireless broadband Internet access required). The Nintendo DSi XL system, which features a screen that is 93 percent larger than that of the Nintendo DS Lite, comes pre-loaded with software like Brain Age™ Express: Math, Brain Age Express: Arts & Letters, Flipnote Studio™, Photo Clock and the Nintendo DSi Browser.

Through the end of July, total Nintendo DS family hardware sales are more than 42.3 million in the United States alone, according to the NPD Group. Recent and upcoming software releases for the Nintendo DS family of systems include DRAGON QUEST® IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies™ (now available), Professor Layton and the Unwound Future™ (Sept. 12), Pokémon™ Ranger: Guardian Signs (Oct. 4), Art Academy™ (Oct. 25), Mario vs. Donkey Kong™: Mini-Land Mayhem! (Nov. 14) and Golden Sun™: Dark Dawn (Nov. 29).

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

I feel sorry for anyone who buys a DSi just before the 3DS comes out.

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

See, they released the XL this year, which while is just a size update, makes me believe the 3DS won't be out till early next year.

Then again, Nintendo can prove me wrong.

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

nintendo keeps releasing all new news today but not what i want to hear from you, a price drop isn't bad but they have to to get ready for the 3ds

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

I personally hope for the 3DS to be between 250-300 €! WHY? Because I have the money for it and I'm really hoping that Nintendo haven't skimped on anything this time around! I want a competent media player, flash support, 3g and all the other possible extras! >:D

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

Good! I'm planning to buy DSi for my daughter (and 3DS for my self).

And @RyuZebian.
THIS!!! I also not only expect it to cost 300€, I also want it to cost that much. Or even more.

fishman100

fishman100 said:

Somehow, I see this as:
"We'll lower the prices of the DSi consoles so that you can save up to buy the super-pricey 3DS".

Punny

Punny said:

I hope the 3DS is around the same price as the Wii at most. As for the lower prices for the DSi and DSi XL, that's nice. I already have a DSi, though.

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

the 3DS won't ever be priced more than $250 and will most likely be $199 seeing Nintendo's track record. They would be out of their minds to sell it for $300 even though people would still buy it for that price.

I also hope its not released this year, I've got plenty of games to worry about buying in that time, I don't need 20 more popping up on the handheld. I think the DSlite was released in Spring of its year, maybe not, but it wouldn't hurt.

EdEN

EdEN said:

$229 with a demo cart, a voucher for a free 3D movie and set for release on March 26, 2011.

EdEN

EdEN said:

Now, I won't buy an XL since I already own a DSi BUT if I got an XL as a gift I would be very happy...

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I agree EdEN, that's the only way the XL would be mine. I figured the XL was a filler system until something "bigger" came along, and I wasn't wrong when the 3DS was announced... I know you toooo well Nintendo.

darkshadowlion

darkshadowlion said:

It would be quite nice if nintendo kept it low but you never know. 189.99 would be a steal. My DSi"s L and R buttons are stopping up so noww would be a perfect to get a 3DS but.... they say it might hurt your eyesight in the future.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@darkshadowlion: Well, you know what they say: if in doubt, switch the 3D effect off!

Personally I don't mind picking-up one of each DS system (I'm kind of a collectionist), and I'm already thinking of grabbing a yellow DSi XL and red 3DS, along with an ice blue DSi and maybe that cosmic blue DS I spotted in Cash Converters if they still have it when I go in next time...but the price drop leads me to believe that the 3DS will indeed be $229 US. It's already been priced at $349 for Australia, so...yeah... :|

motang

motang said:

About time if you ask me. Also they are getting ready to announce the price and release date of 3DS! :D

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

$200 would not be a steal for the 3DS unless it has the memory and functionality of an itouch along with 3D gaming. I wouldn't pay more than $200 without a decent packin deal.

Europe got this price drop a while ago. This probably has more to do with evening things out as US demand starts to relax for these machines too.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

With Nintendo telling the price of the 3DS in less than a month. People are going to compare the dsi xl (and for others the dsi) + with this people will still suggest buying the dsi xl or the dsi. Thinking 3D for a high price, a giant dsi for a medium price, or a regular dsi for a low price, because they still want consumers buying their previous products, it`s common sence.

Birthday_Boy

Birthday_Boy said:

Oh and the price. Knowing that sony is right behind them, for 3D tech, and technology evolving, every day, Nintendo will go with their usual price, but there`s always the chance of Nintendo thinking Hey we are the first people making 3D handheld with 3D pics and always connecting`no one can get this load of brilliance, so they might put it at the most $250 but I still think it`s $200

timp29

timp29 said:

@Nintendo Purist

Where did you spot that price for Australia? Even if the 3Ds is US$250 that comes nowhere near to justifying a AU$350 with the current exchange rate (requires US$0.70=AU$1). If that is correct, I'm definitely importing regardless of any region locking.

ToadFan

ToadFan said:

I think it will be 189.99 unless they make another price cut for the Wii. Why? Well Nintendo Portable Systems have never been as much as there home systems. But then again it has 3D and better pics than the Wii.
But Nintendo normally has things on the cheap side not on the expensive like Sony and Microsoft.

Dodger

Dodger said:

I am guessing about $199.99. Not only does it sound like a fair price when you hear it but it's an entirely new system so it's going to be a bit more expensive then the DS, I bet.

mastersworddude

mastersworddude said:

Personally I think anything over 200$ for a portable game system is too much especially for a Nintendo system, which is meant to be easily affordable.

LuigiSucks

LuigiSucks said:

I can just sell my DSi and DS Lite(both in perfect condition, which they can easily be sold to some friends for +$115 each) and buy the 3DS AND a 3D game of two. Genius.