Professor Layton and the Unwound Future Jumps a Week Closer to the Present

Posted by Trevor Chan

North America hits 88 and skips a week

With the recent announcement of a Professor Layton game on the 3DS, let's not forget the platform on which the popular series made its debut. In a truly time-puzzling manner, Nintendo has confirmed that Professor Layton and the Unwound Future will be launching a week earlier than previously announced, now on September 12. According to a recent press release from the company:

The future will arrive sooner than expected for fans of LEVEL-5’s acclaimed Professor Layton video game series. Nintendo of America has announced a new launch date of Sept. 12 for Professor Layton and the Unwound Future™, a new hand-held adventure created exclusively for the top-selling Nintendo DS™ family of portable game systems. Previously scheduled for release on Sept. 20, the game will now be available a week earlier, treating newcomers and experienced players alike to a mesmerizing mix of mystery, time travel and puzzle-solving fun.

Professor Layton and the Unwound Future places the professor and his trusted apprentice at the center of a spellbinding adventure after they receive a strange letter sent from 10 years in the future. Players must wind their way through more than 165 mind-bending puzzles as they decipher clues and strive to unlock a time-twisting mystery that threatens to plunge London into chaos.

TetrisFreak

TetrisFreak said:

3DS......Nice.
i cannot help but say this, but, we don't do 'first' comments around here. thank you -- TBD

EDIT: Awwwwww......I don't really do that, it is just that it said "No comments, why not be first", so I had to :D

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

The Layton series is one of our very favourite video game serieses of all time in our household (my Mrs and I played video games from the SNES/NES era onwards). Cannot wait

Hokori

Hokori said:

Thats awesome but what will happen to Specters Flute? will it come out before the 3DS version or after? Or will it be a Japanese only Title?

irken004

irken004 said:

I think Unwound Future may be my first Layton game. The premise is interesting enough for me to warrant a purchase.

TrevorTheChan

TrevorTheChan said:

Otaku: There's no official word on the Western release of Professor Layton and the Specter's Flute yet.

PhillaLoup

PhillaLoup said:

Sounds like two Episodes will be 3DS games:
(I hope that Nintendo will release the Professor Layton Movie as a downloadable 3D movie!)

EP 4: Professor Layton and the Curious Village (2008, DS)
EP 5: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box (2009, DS)
EP 6: Professor Layton and the Unwound Future (2010, DS)
EP 1: Professor Layton and the Spectre's Flute (2011, DS)
EP 1.5: Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva (2010, DVD/Blu-Ray)
EP 2: Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracle (2011, 3DS)
EP 3: Professor Layton and the ... ??? (2012, 3DS)

Hokori

Hokori said:

GonzoMontana I would love Prof Layton Movies on 3DS, same goes for Animal Forest. I would also like to download Manga the Dual Screen Function made me want to download Manga from the DSi Shop.

EdEN

EdEN said:

Still need to start Diablolical Box but will get this in september.

Punny

Punny said:

Yes! Nintendo usually pushes release dates back, but now it's the complete opposite! Time to play more Diabolical Box!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Love that caption!:D

I'm concerned about how far behind we are in the series, and how the 3DS will affect things. To clarify: Is this actually the third game in the original Japanese release order? We haven't missed any thus far, have we?

fishman100

fishman100 said:

in a Nintendo power magazine article sonetime last summer (or somewhere around then) they had an interview with Akira Hino and he said that he was working on PL: Devil's Flute. I wonder if it's done, and if it'll come over here for the 3DS or not.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@ Fishman100 Devils Flute came out last NOV in Japan so its for DS
but Mask of Miracle witch comes out this Nov in Japan is for 3DS.