Nintendo Download: 6th & 7th July 2010 (Japan)

Posted by Sean Aaron

Neo Geo puzzling for the Wii; Spartans, handwriting and hockey for DSi next week in Japan

The WiiWare drought continues with only the VC to comfort Wii fans next week and things aren't much more exciting on the DSi with only two games and an educational title to start out July.

Virtual Console

Magical Drop III (900pts Neo Geo - D4 Enterprise) – You might dismiss this game as a rip-off of Puzzle Bobble, but the play mechanics are different enough that it feels fresh and interesting even for die-hard Puzzle Bobble veterans. This 3rd iteration is regarded by many as the best version, so it's definitely worth picking it up for puzzle fans; especially considering Majesco's Data East Arcade Classics – where you will also find it – remains a North American exclusive.

DSiWare

Hajimete no Mojirenjuu (200pts - Mechanic Arms) – An educational title which is for teaching little kids entering school the hiragana and katakana syllabic writing systems. Shows stroke order for the characters and has tracing exercises for practice.

Handy Hockey (200pts - ITL) – A 3-in-1 air hockey game for 1-2 players which supports download play for local multiplayer. You get your basic air hockey and two other games using your paddle and puck to break bricks Breakout-style or bowl in a top-down 10-pin alley.

Hero of Sparta (800pts - Gameloft) – It's a given that Gameloft's releases will eventually show up in all territories, so no surprise that this 3D action game is appearing in the Japanese DSi Shop. We thought it was a pretty average handheld version of God of War, but read our Hero of Sparta review to learn more.

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

Interesting, but it sense like japan doesn't get updated as often when it comes to downloads/

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

I'm glad to see Magical Drop III appearing on the VC. I will download that puzzler for sure! :)

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

I wouldn't mind having the handwriting, I need to learn my Japanese.....I would buy the games off of Jlist that teach it but I'm limited.

barneygumble

barneygumble said:

Finally Neo Geo Games are back !
Well not MD3 is not really my favorite, but a high price & rvery are Title for not just for Neo Geo Collectors.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

I like Magical Drop III (from Data East Arcade Classics), even though it's a Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble clone.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

If you replace the VC game with a Wiiware game, then you'll have what your typical North American Download week looks like.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@RLA George: I really would recommend you get the "Let's Learn" series of books; writing on the DSi screen isn't really the same as writing on paper, though I'll admit having the ability to practice without carrying pen and paper would be nice. I'd settle for My Notepad, frankly.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

The only thing I missed in Magical Drop III was the ability to rotate the direction you choose to aim like you could in Bust-A-Move/Puzzle Bobble. :(