New Epic Mickey Footage Keeps it Classy in San Diego

Posted by James Newton

Spector shouting about the Mouse's outing

Alongside the announcement that Disney Epic Mickey will get the comic book treatment, Warren Spector and team also showed off some new footage from the game.

In this b-roll video, Mickey enters the 2D worlds of Plutopia and Oh What a Knight, revealing more 2D platform action along the lines of the Steamboat Willie level that took centre stage at E3 2010. The fidelity to the cartoons is commendable, with the animation, art and level design all looking very promising, maintaining our hope that the game will be one of the highlights of the Wii's catalogue this year.

Thanks to reader LZ for the video link.

[via youtube.com]

Nintendophile

Nintendophile said:

The "2-D Transition Levels" kind of remind me of something you could make in Little Big Planet, level-design-wise. Which isn't a bad thing. I love classic platforming!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I did say that I wouldn't buy this if it wasn't closer to the concept art but after seeing the recent videos and screenshots, I've changed my mind, this looks awesome!!!!

foxtwin

foxtwin said:

Love the background/set design - especially the Haunted Mansion exterior combining the Disneyland and Disney World mansions with Paris's Phantom Manor.

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

2D parts look excellent. The 3D parts however look like they need a little work...And more color so far every 3D part we've seen has been Brown, Grey, Black, Navy, with a tiny bit of green.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I'm glad to see the 2D areas aren't just dedicated to Mickey's shorts ("Plutopia" and "Oh What A Knight" are shorts starring Pluto and Oswald, respectively). Can't wait to play this. :)

Joetherocker

Joetherocker said:

The 2D parts look great, but the 3D look kinda bland to me. I hope they have some more colorful 3D levels.

rjejr

rjejr said:

It's the year 2010 and this is a big Wii game, would it kill them to get some voice acting? Not for Mickey necessarily, but Mad Doctor and Gus?

I really like the old black and white backgrounds, but I just don't get Mickey in neon. As someone else said, looks like LBP.

Well, despite IGN's usual Wii negativity, I'm still very much looking forward to this. Any new info on a release date?

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I just wasn't terribly impressed with this game at E3. Seemed like a very average platformer with a weird paint/erase function tacked onto it. But that was only with about 20 minutes of playing time, so who knows. :)

Kirk

Kirk said:

Seriously, the actual gameplay looks totally crap and generic as hell.

Thik of a generic playing SNES platformer like Busby vs a truly great SNES platformer like Super Mario World. Or a crap playing 3D Wii platformer like Ninja Bread Man vs Super Mario Galaxy 2...

Outside of some decent Dinsey inspired visuals, in some areas, this game looks like platforming meh.

People are seriously getting excited about all the wrong things with this game and I think a lot of people are going to be very disappointed ultimately.

SherlockHolmes

SherlockHolmes said:

I'm gonna love this game!
@kirk I'd love to find that this game is truly epic like everyone has been saying and you being completely wrong which you probably are.

MayhemStaff

Mayhem said:

I missed this panel sadly @ SDCC, the popularity was huge for the room allocated for it, even though I got there fairly early before it started! Anyone hear anything about things being given away to those leaving the room afterwards?

Nintendogeek46

Nintendogeek46 said:

This looks like a perfect candidate for "Game that was going to be really good, but ended up being bad." Just something about it makes me think this game will bomb when it hits stores.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Well, I didn't care for that Plutopia level...But 'Oh what a Knight' looks superb visually. Gameplay wise, this looks generic and bland.....Another fine example of style over substance. The graphics, sound and art direction are great, but the most important thing 'gameplay' isn't....It's tough making great 3D Platformers nowadays, considering SMG2 raised the bar even further.