Netflix Launching in Canada This Fall

Posted by Trevor Chan

At least we know it's logistically possible for a Wii appearance

Those in the U.S. have already been enjoying Netflix via the Wii for a few months now, and it looks like their neighbours to the north could soon be doing the same when the service makes its first international appearance this fall.

Although it hasn't been officially announced that the film and TV streaming service will have its own dedicated outlet on the Wii when it arrives in Canada, a representative told Joystiq that Instant on popular devices is being looked at:

We're not announcing the Netflix ready devices until the service launches, but it's fair to assume that several popular, brand name devices will be capable of streaming from Netflix to TVs at launch – in addition to the ability to watch instantly on computers -- and that we'll add to the family of devices over time.

We'll bring you more info on the launch if it does indeed make it to Canadian Wii consoles, but in the meantime, why not head over to the Canadian Netflix web site and sign up for news leading up to its launch? You can also check out our hands-on impressions of the service on Wii if you haven't already.

[via netflix.mediaroom.com]

Nintendokid

Nintendokid said:

WOW.I thought this would never come to Canada but now my dream came true to have it come to CANADAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Alias

Alias said:

@piguy: First, you have to request a Netflix Wii disk (google it, and how you do it beats me), and if you register right now, you'll be sent a free one.

MDee14

MDee14 said:

OMG finally, the other day i was yelling about why Netflix isn't in Canada. I also heard that the exclusive between netflix and microsoft with the software on the system is going to expire. So soon other consoles like the PS3 and Wii might just get a firmware and then you wont require the disc

iphys

iphys said:

If this means we'll never have to deal with zip.ca again, I'll be glad.

ejamer

ejamer said:

@iphys: Agreed. Zip doesn't work that well, and a decent streaming service like Netflix would be a huge improvement. This is the best news I've had all day.

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

Funny. I just came from my vacation to California and I saw Zombieville on Netflix. I wanted to bring my wii to Cali so then I can get Netflix there. Then mail my NF CD to Canada. But it means that my sousin would have the power to put the movies and tv shows he wants, unless I tell him on Facebook.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

I still like rental stores more. The rush to nab the last copy of the latest hot movie never gets old to me.

jangonov

jangonov said:

Right now, I have netflix on my Wii, Ps3, 360, Tivo, and my laptop. I was thinking "I have 5 different devices that can do it. Why can't other nations have one?"

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

@jangonov That usually has to do with licensing issues and other legal crap. Though I am curious why it took this long to get it up there.

Is it only streaming? Nowhere does it say anything about actual DVDs. That'd be kind of lame. Netflix's streaming service is great and all, but without any real discs included it may not be that worth it. There's a lot of content that simply isn't available via streaming.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

@Pegasus They've only announced streaming at least for now.

Why do people watch Netflix on multiple devices (if they are on the same TV). Wii doesn't do HD so I'd probably choose a different device though I'm sure the HD Netflix streams are barely that. I heard about 3GB for a 2 hour movie in HD.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

@Stardust: That's very true. When TWO of the three video stores around me closed, I blamed Netflix. Still a good service though, although I don't like how Wii Netflix doesn't have a search function.

manleycartoonist

manleycartoonist said:

I don't even watch cable tv anymore... Netflix is the bomb, run out and get it.

and if you can't get a credit card, run down to wal-mart and buy a prepaid visa and load it with enough to pay your netflix each month. Problem solved.