First Impressions: NBA Jam

Posted by James Newton

It’s on fire!

This is truly a golden age fans of remakes of classic gaming titles: Kirby, Donkey Kong, Mario and Sonic are all still rocking 2D like it’s 1994, and EA’s keen to get a piece of the two-dimensional pie with NBA Jam.

A throwback to the classic basketball title of old, NBA Jam features the same two-on-two action as its predecessor, with the licensed teams and players you’d expect from an EA Sports title. Our reporters Darren and James picked the Cleveland Cavaliers – still with LeBron James on their books, basketball fans – and faced up against the CPU’s formidable LA Lakers.

Played at a breakneck speed, NBA Jam is as easy to operate as they come: (Z) executes a dash, (A) is pass and (B) steals or performs a skill move, and a shooting action with the Wii Remote performs shots and jumps. Although the motion controls aren’t exactly Wii Sports Resort level of detail and precision, it’s still immensely satisfying to raise the Remote high and slam it downwards as your player dunks the ball, smashing the glass in the backboard. NES-style controls are available too, but we didn’t test them in this session.

With their photographed faces perched on polygon bodies, the players look admittedly odd in screenshots, but on the move they’re limber and animate very well, with elaborate dunks really boosting the excitement level. Wild facial expressions during dunks, steals and fouls bring some character to the game, as does ever-present commentator Tim Kitzrow who proclaims “he’s on fire” and, of course, “boomshakalaka.” Whilst no cheats or power-ups were mentioned or available, we know from an interview with producer Pete Trenouth that plenty are in the works.

NBA Jam is the kind of game that will appeal greatly to some whilst others will fail to see the appeal. Playing side-by-side with a friend is as much fun as you’d imagine, and it’s easy to see how these games could become regular sessions among gaming friends: a few pizzas and some NBA Jam will sound like heaven to plenty of gamers. If you’re in the market for a fun-sized, fast-paced and completely over-the-top basketball game without wanting to sacrifice those beloved NBA all-stars, NBA Jam could well fit the bill.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Oh man I'm excited for this game :D Is there a release date on this? Isn't it September or something? (Wishful thinking probably ;) )

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I cant wait. I remember playing the original in the Arcades when I was in high school. I got the Sega CD version when that first came out and played it all the time against my brother and friends. I also remember how than President Clinton was a secret character. I cant wait to get this one and show my son this great game.

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

I smashed the backboard glass with a mighty slam dunk too. Booyowwwww! :D

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Can't wait for this. Wonder if they will have updates for next seasons roster.

pixelman

pixelman said:

I'm so excited for this. The original was sooooooooo much fun. Hope they add online play. :D

Splat

Splat said:

"NES-style controls are available too."

Thank God I was about to be upset.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

BOOMSHAKALAKALAKA!

@Slapshot82: What? This game is a Wii exclusive. Are you talking about a different basketball game? EDIT: The Wikipedia Article on the game says that ratings for 360 and PS3 versions have appeared on the USK and ESRB sites, but they weren't announced. Hopefully it was just an accident or something; I want this game to stay Wii exclusive.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

@Coyote37: The Wikipedia Article (link above) also said that "Online play is still in development." I'm guessing this means that they're working on it.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Download, obviously. Wait, this is a retail Wii game? Weird. Now I'm definitely not getting the Wii version.

lilboyblue

lilboyblue said:

Add Online Vs./Co-op/Tourneys, Create A Player/Team, Trades, GCN/Classic Controller Support, and more crazy stuff like hotspots, stages, mascots and then it'll be worth the $50. I was hyped when I thought was a wiiware title. It just seem like another case of people letting nostalgia get open.

motang

motang said:

Yes it is and I am truly loving every minute of it!