3DS Could Feature 3G Connectivity

Posted by James Newton

If cryptic interview is to be believed

We know that Nintendo is keen to do more with the connectivity features of its upcoming 3DS, with the ability to download new content automatically via WiFi. Now a rumour has surfaced that the machine could also feature 3G technology to offer an always-on Internet connection.

Ryuji Yamada, President at Japanese wireless company NTT DoCoMo, revealed in a recent interview that his company was in discussion with handheld console manufacturers about the possibility of including 3G features in their upcoming machines. He declined to name particular companies and neither Nintendo nor handheld rival Sony has given any comment, so think of this as the latest in a long line of tantalising 3DS rumours for now.

[via online.wsj.com]

theblackdragonAdmin

theblackdragon said:

@irks: in terms of Amazon and Kindle-related content, yes, but to access other parts of the internet, they do charge a fee. when they say '3G internet connection', we don't know exactly which type they're going to offer us yet, as they haven't quite gone into specific detail.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

The cost for 3G would be worked in somewhere. If they did the amazon solution, you could only reach Nintendo content, and such content would probably have a charge associated with it (like when you buy an ebook). Nothing is free.

I wouldn't be surprised either if it supported 3G in Japan, but that feature never made it anywhere else.

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

Oh man, this is would be really cool, even if there was a monthly fee or something. I mean, I'd pay it. What's better is, Nintendo has actually talked about doing this before. So who knows? It could be the truth. Hopefully so.

oinkmooblah

oinkmooblah said:

>_< Maybe if Internet access was restricted, and the base price of the console was increased, it could work out...

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

free 3G, video chat, and a few things here and there would be the death of iPhone.

Sakeraf

Sakeraf said:

i would definitely be willing to pay for this if it was a low monthly fee. dose $5 a month sound reasonable? (or possible?)

Markystal

Markystal said:

@ Joe22: Agreed
3 all over the place with the 3DS. 3G, 3DS, 3-D, 3DSWARE.... awesome.

timp29

timp29 said:

What is 3G like in the states? I know where I am at, the 3G network is starting to become overloaded especially around the city and main university.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Sonys new (PSP2) is the one that is going to offer 3G support.

Nintendo might, but I doubt it will happen as it would recquire a monthly fee and Nintendo has a rough track record in the online market. This will also drive the 3DS price way up as well. I dont see this as a Nintendo thing.

Sony stated that they have no intention of competing with the 3DS with their next handheld but more after the iPad. 3G portable gaming will be very expensive and great and Sony is always the one to go that route.

cnm_nintendo

cnm_nintendo said:

Maybe if Nintendo paid for the 3G services for us so it will be free for us... Though if that was the case the price of the 3DS itself could be much higher which is bad news for us... :/

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

3G is great and all but by the time the 3DS comes out 4G will be the next best thing. With nintendos track record they will bring out a new system in two more years after that with 4G and still be behind the times. Now if it has updates that can support 4G and up that will be the way to go!!!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@theblackdragon: If Nintendo gave 3G away for their online shop and multiplayer, but wanted to charge for browser access, I'd be 100% happy with that. I guess we'll have to wait and see, though.

@Slappy: Look carefully at the article: ManufacturERS, plural. It could easily be Sony AND Nintendo.

Since I first heard what they said about the 3DS' online capabilities at E3, I've been wondering how that was supposed to work with Wi-Fi. 3G is really the only logical answer for that kind of support. Nintendo's doing their best to really upsell the online on this thing, and I'm sure 3G would be a great way to do so, especially at no charge. Even the less tech-savvy, inexperienced gamers could give it a try!:D

IanUniacke

IanUniacke said:

I think this has about a 50% chance of being correct given a few facts:

• Satoru talked about 3d video phone
  • They have talked about connectivity "a lot"
  • They talked about the problems with wifi working well in japan but the rest of the world not being densely populated enough
    It's my experience that nintendo likes to drop very subtle hints into what they say, and I believe it's very carefully calculated. Therefore I'd give this rumor a high degree of probability.

Also it would be absolutely awesome if my ds was also my phone.

Frango

Frango said:

You see, here in Brazil, Zeebo Inc.¹ Developed a console (Zeebo) that, even though it SUCKED in every possible way, it has a FREE 3G connection ONLY to access their website to pay and download content for the console... So yes, I think it's possible to have a FREE 3G connection using the 3DS... All I want is to be able to turn it off (as well as the supposed "auto-download content" feature they're willing to use) so that my battery can last longer... I see no point of being connected to the internet for the whole time my handheld is on, but to consume more energy... And also I would like to see a REAL battery energy meter on the GUi, since that sucked on the DS: You picked the handheld and thought it had enough battery and than you leave home. When you go to play it to spend some time than the LED turns into red and you see how BAD that damn LED indicator sucks. =)

That's all.

¹Old TecToy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tectoy

Frango

Frango said:

Yeah yeah that's nice, but still I would like to control when to download these content... =/ Like when the 3DS is in charge and homesafe xD

Sorry... I just can't see this "Push" way of update in a good way =/

And also I don't think 3G would be viable for online play... Just my 2 cents...

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

I also think 3G would be good. But I don't want to pay more than 5 euros every year! :P Anyone who pays more than that for console internet connection is a looooseeer!* With upcoming 4g though, you can have a mobile broadband connection that can supply several units with wi-fi! Just have patience, and money...
*Provoking 360 owners FTW! ;)

nintendonerd147

nintendonerd147 said:

I'm still gonna get one but I just wanna say this WOW it's 3d WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW every Nintendo Console has had 3d game since the Nintendo 64. What is the big deal about 3d?

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Another thing to consider is there are more and more places offering free Wifi now too. I wouldn't mind having 3G as an option, but I hope they do it by subscription instead of adding it to the cost of games/hardware. I already pay enough for a cell phone with a data plan. I don't need to pay extra somewhere connect my 3DS too. However, I never have problems with options, and if there are enough people willing to pay a subscription for the service, Ninty should offer it.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

@nintendonerd147: Uh, as in it's not the kind of 3D Nintendo 64 and up gave, but the kind of 3D that pops out of the screen and you would normally need glasses for?

Hopefully this 3G thing is free, I don't want to have to pay money just to connect anywhere I want. And if it is, do it Nintendo! I've always dreamed of gaming online anywhere...

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@nintendonerd147: Where have you been, man? The 3DS has 3D imaging, as opposed to the 15-year-old polygonal standard gamers know as "3D." That is to say that the images will have both a sense of depth and the occasional "pop out of the screen" effect, much like modern 3D movies do.

EDIT: Beaten to it!:P

RallyFTW

RallyFTW said:

Well, that's cool and all, but do we really need it? I would much rather have built in wifi than 3G. (Comment is unrelated)

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

in other words... no more finding access points and stuff? there'd be internet EVERYWHERE?!?!?!?! omg that would be like um... it'd be as awesome as if they made a sequel to super mario rpg in isometric style gameplay on the 3ds or wii! it'd be like finding apple cider in the holy grail!

Tigus

Tigus said:

Who know its a mabe so will just have to wait and see
would be epic.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Didn't Nintendo say that they were interested in doing something similar to Kindle, with the free Internet and all?

triforceofcourage

triforceofcourage said:

it would be reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly cool and reallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllly $30 per month

NintendoCoDGamer

NintendoCoDGamer said:

That would be the best thing that's ever happened in my time of gaming. I would NOT mind having to pay $50 extra for 3G 3DS. course i wouldn't want to pay monthly or yearly.

Leaf

Leaf said:

I would love at 3G 3DS. It has been a dream for me since WFC was released to play my DS online anywhere other than being confined to a certain area with a strong signal. I also wouldn't mind paying a minor fee either every few months or about $20 a year for it. Lastly, I would totally have to call it the 3GDS because that name is beyond epic xD