Valentine & Redfield 'Fall Out' in the Resident Evil: Revelations Trailer

Posted by Trevor Chan

...over a mysterious prisoner?

Last week's E3 event showed us a glimpse of Capcom's latest instalment in the Resident Evil franchise built exclusively for the 3DS. Now it's time to take a look at the official announcement trailer where the screenshots were taken from. Get ready for some gun-pointing and interrogation.

Resident Evil: Revelations sees the return of Jill Valentine and Chris Redfield but the pair seem to be at odds with each other over something, leading to pistols being pointed at each other in an effort to gain answers. Redfield's monologue suggests he's made some sort of mistake, with references made to a mysterious "it".

Held captive is what seems to be a new character with an Australian accent. Who is this man and why is he restrained? The sequence is rendered in real-time using the game engine.

Odnetnin

Odnetnin said:

The lighting and shading are really very impressive; a great showcase of what the 3DS can do.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

I saw this trailer yesterday, and I have to say, it looks fantastic! Apparently they're using the RE5/Lost Planet 2 framework in this game. I hope it plays like RE4/RE5, though, I would LOVE to have a portable RE4-style Resident Evil! Also, I think it needs a little more Leon. :P

There is one question i have, though: Is the Australian guy saying "All ready" or "Already"?

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

AND this is better not be onrails! Inafune said already, that this would be the real thing, but this is too good to be true.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

They have certainly been promising to make this a full-scale entry in the series, so I'm looking forward to the finished product. I didn't play RE5, but it looked to have taken things too far in an action-heavy direction and away from the creepiness that should always be primary. RE4 had a nice balance of both; perhaps they'll move closer to that formula.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

This game is going to rock out loud... and if those are 3DS graphics, the entire generation is going to rock out loud JUST because of 3DS. o.o

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

Graphics are amazing for a handheld. The step-up from the DS to 3DS is quite astounding. I hope this will be a full RE game, not on-rails.
Also good that the 3DS is starting earlier with an 18 rated game. Nobody can accuse it of being for children.

irken004

irken004 said:

Based on that trailer, I'd say Jill is infected because of the guy held captive ("It doesn't matter. Because your all ready..."), and the other guy may have brought her the cure.

dangermouseuk78

dangermouseuk78 said:

Its a good trailer but im not gonna make judgements on the graphics, As they said on various sites that isnt real time so ill wait for the game to decide how good it looks thats just a video.

James

James said:

That looks ace! Not sure the guy's accent is Australian, though :S

@DangermouseUK78 - Here's the official press release from Capcom:

BL_Donth

BL_Donth said:

What?! I thought Valentine and Redfield were 'partners'.

The graphics are stunning indeed and they are real time. You can tell because you see the polygons on Chris' fingers when he points the gun. Nevertheless it's still gorgeous for a handheld.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Wow. That's all I have to say :D
I'm dieing to see some actual gameplay footage though. But it's great to hear that these graphics are in-game. And that zombie looked great by the way as well! What I'm worried about are the environments, will they beable to match the character models in terms of graphics? we'll see.

Anyways, Hopefully there are lots of puzzles, items and back tracking. That zombie alone kind of indicates that this RE is going back to it's traditional roots(hopefully) as far as enemies and actually being a horror game.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

@Prosody: "Featuring appearances from Chris Redfield and Jill Valentine the trailer is rendered in real time using the game engine." Wow ... that's amazing. I'm officially sold on the 3DS.

KrazyKain

KrazyKain said:

... rendered in real time using the game engine.... no way.... it can't be....

if that's true then IGN was right when they said the 3ds can be compared to the ps3/360.. . I find this very hard to take in.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

It's all about the shaders man! :P Which is why it's being compared to Resident Evil 5. Polygon-wise it's looking like the PS2/Wii yet with more powerful shaders. And after pausing alot of the shots in this video, the environments look fantastic. Again the lighting and shaders play a huge part. And seeing all of this on tiny high resolution screens will make it all look even more impressive. This is officially my most aniticipated 3DS game :D

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@Varoennauraa

I'm hoping that they use Touch screen/Stylus controls as well. It's the next best thing besides Wii IR Controls. Analog controls for aiming would be clunky and no where near as fun, engaging or intuitive. I guess Capcom could atleast have the option for analog aiming as a secondary choice, but Stylus controls should obviously be the main front and overall would be absolutely superb! :D

Dementium on the DS is the perfect example for awesome Stylus controls. The fact that RE Revelations is going to be 3rd person will be just as good, if not better with the 3DS technology. Remember, it also has motion sensor gyro's so who knows what else Capcom has in store for us.

edofthe209

edofthe209 said:

Okay, if thats the in game engine, it looks amazing in 2-d. Seeing it the 3-d is going to make me crap myself with amazment! 3DS FTW!

IanUniacke

IanUniacke said:

Man that trailer is so good and it's awesome to see RE going back to its roots (style-wise at least). RE5 was a huge disappointment for me...this looks so much more like the RE I've come to know and love.

I love the end of the trailer...it's so suspenseful.."You're already...". Already what??? OMG I have to know :D

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

@WaveBoy

YES! Stylus works great, but does anybody remember these? These came with at least DS Phat and I think later models abandoned these(Fortunately I saved mine.):
and similar, but more convenient:
With these you getter better grip of the console and have shoulder button still usable. Works like mouse, but plays like analogue nub.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

The graphics are insane. Unfortunately RE went gone downhill big time starting with 4 and this looks to be more of the same. On the positive side though if they can do this kind of stuff with early 3DS games, imagine how much better they're going to look as developers get used to the hardware.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

To mu ch info r ma tion! Hea d ex plo de to ma ny gamesssss not enou gh time! Wow looks amazing!

@Gamer83 What are you talking about RE4 was game of the year on all platforms! It was the best in the series for me followed by RE2!

Angaran

Angaran said:

Awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Adaslover

Adaslover said:

I thought Jill and Chris, were boyfriend and girlfriend or in love with each other. Jill sould not do this to Chris - anyway. Also I't will be the one of the best RE games ever, like I liked - Code Veronica and Re 4, the Re film Degeneration and Re 5.
Also Re 4 and 5, are real canon games - to the Resident evil Game -franchise