Super Mario Galaxy 2 Blitzes Original's Launch Sales Figures

Posted by James Newton

Japanese launch shifts 340,000 copies in 72 hours

Super Mario Galaxy 2 has already been acclaimed as one of the greatest games of all time and the Japanese game-buying public certainly seems to agree, snapping up over 340,000 copies of the title in just three days.

Outstripping the original's first week sales of just over 250,000, the stellar sequel rocketed to the number one position in the country's charts, quadrupling the sales of the number two title Super Robot Wars OG Saga for DS.

[via edge-online.com]

Link-Hero

Link-Hero said:

This game deserves the high sales. It's just an awesome game. Even better than the original.:) Hopefully the other countries will have similar or even higher sales number.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

I seriously would have figured it would sell even more than that.... guess they are still glued to Monster Hunter Tri at the moment ;)

Chris720

Chris720 said:

You didn't have to use my picture you know. ;)

Eight days is far too long! SMG2 is going to be epic! :D

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I'm looking forward to openning a little brown package on wednesday or thursday next week with my copy of the game! I will watch the dvd first though I think. Does anyone know what's it like? (the dvd)

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I love how Nintendo takes a challenge (ie, making a sequel to Super Mario Galaxy, an already idea-packed game, that doesn't feel like more of the same) and manages to turn it into one of their greatest hits.

Also anyone else think that whoever Nintendo hired to make the video in the advert up top on NL's front page should be fired?

"Super Mario 64 was the greatest Mario game ever made"
[short clip of SM64 Thwomp's Fortress]
"...until now! Super Mario Galaxy 2 is here!"
[short clip of boss rehashed from Mario 64]
[short clip of Thwomp's Fortress rehashed from Mario 64]
[short clip of boss rehashed from Mario Galaxy]
[short clip of camera flying straight through an object]

Don't get me wrong, everything in that list I'm going to absolutely love (except the last one lol) when it comes out, but as an advert it basically shouts "SUPER MARIO GALAXY 2! WE BORROWED BITS FROM OLD MARIO GAMES!"

Vinsanity

Vinsanity said:

I hope the sequel does the same in the west. Although I won't blame it if it doesn't - it's going up against a LOT of heavy hitters, namely ModNation Racers and Red Dead Redemption. As well as games like Lost Planet 2, Split/Second, and several SKU's of Prince of Persia: Forgotten Sands.

May was a crazy month for gaming. But Mario Galaxy 2 is FANTASTIC. And since story doesn't really matter in Mario games, it IS actually the better game between it and it's prequel. It helps that its way more streamlined, and just the overload of content and fantastic level designs and gameplay ideas. I didn't think Galaxy 2 could do it - and when it was announced, I didn't even want it yet - but this sequel definitely tops the original. It deserves at least as much success as Galaxy 1, that's for sure.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

What if you've never played SMG1 should you still get SMG2?

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Got my copy. I'm up to 19 stars. No DVD, but there are short videos in levels that give basic hints. :)

@Pj: Either one is fine. The stories are completely different and only share a few basic elements (most notably the Lumas).

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

@PJ SMG1 is also a bit easier than SMG2, if that's something that makes a difference for you.

In theory, it should sell more copies at launch, seeing as way more people own Wiis now than when SMG1 launched.

skywake

skywake said:

"With the European launch countdown now at T minus eight days it's not long until gamers across Europe can aim to propel this to number one there too."

except Australians who almost have to wait another month.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

I still think I should wait a little bit until buying this because 1. I need sufficient funds and 2. I feel like I should fulfill my personal obligation to get all the stars in the original first (at least with Mario).

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Roll on SMG2!
I hope this game gets Game of the Year like SMG1 did in '07. :)
However with Red Dead Redemption, Halo Reach, Lost Planet 2, Split/Second... Will SMG2 even get seen? :/

Hopefully Nintendo do what they did for SMG1 and thats advertise the insert bad word here out of it.

GloomShroom

GloomShroom said:

I've been playing this on and off for a week now. Still only have 30 stars... and i heard there are 120 in all. This game is what Nintendo is all about and why I don't need any other consoles.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

fyi for everyone: there are exactly 242 stars in BOTH Mario Galaxy games. just wanted to throw that out there

@xDemon720x
I actually haven't heard of any of those games you mentioned, maybe cuz i only own nintendo stuff and kingdom hearts