Sonic Turns 19 Today but Brings No Presents for Nintendo Fans

Posted by James Newton

Virtual Console the only format not to receive price drops today

Yes fans of blue spiky things, it was 19 years ago today that the original Sonic the Hedgehog did its first loop-de-loop in our hearts. In honour of this world-changing event, Sega is cutting prices of many of the hedgehog's downloadable outings on Xbox Live Arcade, PlayStation Network and the App Store, but there is no price drop on the Nintendo Wii Shop Channel.

Although Sega is so far the only major publisher to have had a sale on Virtual Console since the service's launch, it's disappointing that Nintendo fans – who have access to more Sonic games than any other format – can't celebrate the hedgehog's birthday with dropped prices.

It's not all doom and gloom, Sonic fans – he's making three new outings on Nintendo formats this year, including the very promising-looking Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 on WiiWare and Sonic Colours for Wii and DS. So chin up and raise a glass to Sega's venerable mascot.

[via blogs.sega.com]

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

It is a shame about the lack of a Virtual Console price drop, but even so,
"Happy Birthday To The Spiky Blue Fella!" :)

So many great Sonic memories over the last 19 years, I fondly remember the first time I ever played his original Mega Drive outing in '91. Good luck for number four and for 'Colours' too, I'm feeling quietly optimistic.

Guybrush_Threepwood

Guybrush_Threepwood said:

I don't care for Sonic in 50 Hz. :-P Fortunately there is the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection. Best videogaming deal ever! :)

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

@3
Is that the same Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection that's on Steam? The only Sonic game in there is Sonic 3D :/

Machu

Machu said:

Sonic hates Nintendoids. Nintendoids hate Sonic.

Cake looks beautiful btw. :D

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Sonic this, Sonic that. Where in the hell is my Streets of Rage 4 and Vector man 3!?:p

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Maybe we Nintendo fans should have been nicer to Sonic in the nineties...

JimLad

JimLad said:

He doesn't get a birthday party until Sonic 4 proves he's still got it.
Until then it's just celebrating 8 years of misery.
(bar handheld releases)

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Until then it's just celebrating 8 years of misery.

The Sonic Trilogy & Knuckles was good.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

That cake wasn't definently not made by James!
I thought Sonic was 24 by now? I swear i remember Sonic Central talking about his 19th birthday...

James

James said:

The cake tasted quite good as I recall. The icing was a bit of a disaster but the cake was good - it was actually blue inside as well. Look! I wish I were talented enough to make a chequerboard-style cake like those lovely Green Hills.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

So no Sonic love on the VC today?:( Oh well, I guess I will just pick up all four Genesis games on XBLA since they are only $3 each.:)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I'll be picking up Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles on XBLA tomorrow, and I'll be getting Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 with my new Genesis.:)

Pj1

Pj1 said:

You know what! I love Sonic Hedgehog, fantastic little game. Really brings back good memories for me.

Turbo_Genesis_64

Turbo_Genesis_64 said:

I hate Sonic.

So I'm here to wish him a very un-happy birthday.

Because of him, Bonk went from being the #2 mascot to the #48 mascot.