Rumour: We May See a 3DS Animal Crossing Next Week

Posted by James Newton

Chug chug chug goes the E3 rumour mill

You know the deal by now: until we have this confirmed, please treat the following as a rumour.

Robot-worshipping games website Destructoid recently posted an intriguing piece of news, suggesting that one first-party launch title for the 3DS could be the next instalment in Nintendo's Animal Crossing franchise.

According to the site's unnamed inside source, Nintendo has been showing off a demo of the 3D-enabled title to third-party developers in order to encourage them to come onboard with the new handheld. With worldwide sales of the DS instalment Animal Crossing: Wild World nearly at 10 million copies sold worldwide you can bet your bottom Bell that Nintendo's interested in pursuing the series for its next machine, and a day one launch would certainly help to snare in the more casual gamer unsure about the advantages that 3D can bring.

Nintendo's press conference is scheduled for 9am PST (12 midday EST, 5pm BST) on Tuesday 15th June. Stay tuned to Nintendo Life for more E3 2010 coverage, including live site updates, First Impressions and more.

[via destructoid.com]

Related Games

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

Oh.....my.....GOD! Please please please please let this be true!!! I hadn't even considered a 3DS Animal Crossing but it would make so much sense for it to be a launch title! Now all they need to do is announce Pikmin 3, the next Zelda, and the next Kirby and I will be the happiest person alive!!

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

If this is true, I now have to buy my mother, wife, and two nieces a 3DS. Damn. Maybe I can convince Nintendo that we need 5 review units. LOL.

SpriteKing

SpriteKing said:

I like these games, but they suck you in a never let you out.
Although, it would be cool to see how they implement 3D in this if it's real.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

It would be awesome if they had a completely revamped online setup and had this game headlining it with video chat support! The more I think about it, the more it seems very likely!

Crystalking18

Crystalking18 said:

Kirby Wii, New Zelda, Pikmin 3, Kingdom Hearts Re:Coded, Professor Layton and the Unwound Future, and now this as a rumor? I want answers!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I hope this is true because the animal crossing games are awesome on handheld consoles but they don't work on home consoles.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Noooooo, I just don't care for animal Crossing :p
Give us a new Mario, Wario or Luigi's Mansion isntead please

Swiket

Swiket said:

I just hope it's a lot more "fresh" than City Folk was. City Folk was pretty much just "Wild World 1.5" on the Wii.

DAaaMan64

DAaaMan64 said:

If they make another Animal Crossing, they better please god change something. I want something bigger, and better and at least a surprise. The entire series hasn't changed enough.

I remember when Wii was announced everyone was talking about Animal Crossing MMO, where'd that dream go?

James

James said:

I think it'll be at least five years before we see a serious Animal Crossing reboot. For now Nintendo's probably happy introducing more furniture, new villagers and hopefully beefing up the online support a bit.

@bboy2970 Although I doubt video chat is very likely - after all, that's why you have your in-game character - I would expect this game to lead on the 3DS's new online features. A built-in system messageboard and ability to send photos online perhaps?

Burning_Spear

Burning_Spear said:

Not that I'm not enthusiastic about a new Animal Crossing, but is that really a game that is crying out for 3D? Aren't there plenty of launch titles that would better showcase the technology?

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Ummm, NO, this isnt the kinda game I was hoping for to be the first game on the system. My wants for this sytem I really hope change come Teusday!

James

James said:

@Burning Spear - Although I share your idea, I'd certainly advise holding back until we see the game in motion. The "rolling log" on the DS and Wii versions were quite cool and, in 3D, I can see Nintendo coming up with some awesome effects.

books flights to LA

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

I agree that they need to do something with it. City Folk just didn't offer that much new. I want some whole new gameplay ideas. Maybe a way to start your own business so that you aren't subjected to being Tom Nook's puppet for the entire game? :D

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

Why doesn't NL list the time of viewing for GMT so that it's easiest to work-out when to watch the conference in any part of the world? I can't figure out when the conference is being aired based on my local time (+10:00, Brisbane time).

Oh, and I also wish for a new Animal Crossing game on 3D-Empowered Handheld from Nintendo. If it turns out to be true then I might just refrain myself from obtaining Wild World!

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

I love AC, but I wouldn't expect it to be a launch title...

My ideal first party launch titles for 3DS:

F Zero 3DX

2D (but... 3D, if ya get me) Metroid

Paper Mario

Radixxs

Radixxs said:

I loved Wild World back in '05, and I would love this to be true if they finally make it easier to hook up with a friend online and introduce the other changes that City Folk was lacking. An easier, more robust online system is all this game needs to keep me playing for months.

Atlantis1982

Atlantis1982 said:

I do not want. Sorry, but they aren't going to change anything besides having more control on the z-axis.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Even though I'm a huge fan of the series, it would take something special to make me buy another Animal Crossing game. The DS version is already excellent and Wii added very little of consequence. Somehow I doubt that 3DS will really improve on the formula either.

realar

realar said:

Nintendo, you just released City Folk not long ago.
Come on! You're using Animal Crossing as your marketing ploy?
What's wrong with a new IP? I like Animal Crossing (especially the one with NES games) but not now!!
Give me a portable Pikmin 3 or Luigi's Mansion sequel or I don't know something like METROID DREAD at launch, you're doing 2 years ago again. Give us a Twilight Princess type intro not a casual intro!!

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I've been a fan of Animal Crossing since it made it's debut on the Gamecube. I really hope that this rumor turns out to be reality! Hurry up E3!!!

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I was extremely disappointed with the Wii version's lack of content. The fact that it was a port of a handheld game released 3 years prior without any new features is inexcusable (and the pathetic "city" doesn't count as it was largely a composite of old features). The biggest disappointment for me though was the inability to import photos/music for use in the game. Plus, the experience could have been so much more enjoyable with split-screen local multiplayer. Even if interactivity between players would have been limited, I would have appreciated the option for two players to play simultaneously. A shameful, wasted opportunity.

I'll admit that I'm excited about this and it may just be enough to coax me into rushing out and buying a 3DS at launch, however, I will approach Animal Crossing 3DS with caution given the history I've had with the series. Unless they completely revamp the game with a ton of new features/content, Nintendo can count me out.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

This is SO funny. I was actually thinking about an Animal Crossing game on the 3DS. I hope this is true. City Folk was kind of a let-down and I hope those ideas the developers talked about bringing over to the Wii carries over to this version instead- oh, and keep the holidays- please. And maybe bring over that ability to make your own furniture.. It was supposed to happen for the Wii version.

I feel like Animal Crossing is INDEED well suited for handheld gaming :)

Yosher

Yosher said:

Even IF this is true, if it still doesn't include many (good) new things I'm not going to get it. I was so disappointed in City Folk (which is called Let's Go to the City here, I mean wtf is up with that?). What I want is more interactivity with the furniture. I mean, for one, you can get a slide, but you can't use it? Bah, I say!

So, either they improve this, and other stuff perhaps, too, or I won't be getting it.

Curt

Curt said:

Personally, I think the series has gone about as far as it can, and that they'd be better off leaving it alone until it can feel fresh and new again.

Kid_A

Kid_A said:

Great. Now if this turns out NOT to be true I'm going to be all upset. I mean it makes so much sense--not only could it potentially be a great showcase of the 3DS' graphical capabilities (Animal Crossing is in need of a artistic rethinking anyway) but it could show it's deeper online capabilities and, obviously, 3D (although right off the top of my head I can't think of anything particularly compelling about 3D animal crossing).

nix

nix said:

don't think I could do another AC, but will probably be sucked back in if I saw Mitzi or Dizzy!

Mario_maniac

Mario_maniac said:

damn it.

I told myself after Let's go to the City that I wouldn't buy another AC game, but then I see this article and I find myself drooling all over it.

Just... damn.

JimLad

JimLad said:

Like other people have said, unless they update the series properly I'm not interested.

PopeReal

PopeReal said:

This is a given. Every new system gets Animal Crossing.... N64 (Japan only), Gamecube, DS, Wii.... ok maybe GBA got skipped but I love my AC bring it on!!!!! :)

SuperCar

SuperCar said:

OMG!!! I will totally buy Animal Crossing on the 3DS!!! That would be so cool!!!

sonic_brawler95

sonic_brawler95 said:

OMG! I love Animal Crossing! Wild World is in my XL right now!

If this is true, then it will verify a day one 3DS purchase. :]

iAlias

iAlias said:

Ned Needs New...Awwww! "Animal" and "Crossing" don't start with N! (And my name isn't Ned, either).