More Pokemon Black & White Monsters Revealed

Posted by James Newton

Certainly prettier than the first lot

We've seen the three Pokémon you'll choose from at the start of your adventure, as well as the legendary monsters you'll look to snag nearer the end, but in-between there's dozens of new Pokémon to discover. Japanese magazine CoroCoro has obliged by revealing details and images of six brand new monsters and a few new areas too.

Our favourite of the new bunch is undoubtedly the crocodile Pokémon Meguroku, mainly for its cartoon burglar-like appearance, but fiery ape Hihidaruma also has a certain flair about it. Head over to Serebii for more scans and information about these new Pokémon and start thinking of nicknames for when you snag them next Spring.

[via serebii.net]

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

a bit late on this news but i like the desert gater mix of ground/dark is awesome combo, the fire ape is cool looking

kevohki

kevohki said:

I kind of want to make a briefcase or a pair of shoes out of that crocodile Pokemon.

Swiket

Swiket said:

These look pretty cool. So cool, that I'm tempted not to make a comment on how late this news post is.

BleachFan

BleachFan said:

What's that, flying off with the wind in the distance?
...Oh yeah, it's my previous hope for this game...

Aenaida

Aenaida said:

The only Pokémon that looks remotely interesting is that Munna... thing. Everything else is bleh.

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

Fed up of the writer of these Pokemon Black and White reports giving their opinion on how the Pokemon look.

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

@7
Most of these Pokemon were created back when there was Generation 1. They created over 1000 Pokemon but due to restrictions of the Gameboy and such only the most simplest were chosen. Also Game Freak is the one that creates the designs not Nintendo. SO no they are not running out of ideas, because they haven't even used the first ideas they created to begin with.

TLOZfreak

TLOZfreak said:

Do you think they'll carry the same style once the series moves on to the 3ds? or will we finally see a full 3D pokemon..

iAlias

iAlias said:

Save money for 3DS.
@TLOZfreak- What's the point? If you want 3D Pokemon, pop in your Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, HeartGold or SoulSilver cartridge. Don't waste your money on these ugly Pokemon.

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

@13
Like when the starters were announced and the headline called them ugly. The writer's opinion isn't news. They should wait until they review the games, or say it in the discussion.

iAlias

iAlias said:

Pokemon YellowGreen and OrangeViolet

-Become a Pokemon Trainer that wants nothing more than to catch a decent-looking creature. In the end, he must live with having a deranged purple elephant and a floating piece of apple pie with eyes.

-Trade your nasty Pokemon for somebody else's nasty Pokemon using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection.

-Use all new moves, like: Game Freak, PLEASE come up with something good! (2 Bajillion Damage).

fishman100

fishman100 said:

Nice! When you get the nat'l pokedex, it'll be tough to track down all of the 460+ pokemon!!!! somehow, i'm looking foward to that.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

...really?
I expect others to really hate the new ones!
Me, I prefer the previous ones, though Munma is my new favourite due to "I want a Pink Pokemon with a floral pattern!"

Buster13

Buster13 said:

They're better then some that were introduced in 3rd and 4th gen.

Except the fire ape. We totally needed another flaming monkey.

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

@22: It's not like the entire article was just him saying his opinion. Literally one single sentence was where he said his favorite was all there was. It's not like he's barraging us with a comment after every sentence.

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Wow these look even worse than the starters, and I thought that was impossible!

Well, at least the croc and the pigeon are decent looking.

Bobpie

Bobpie said:

@32 What do you mean, 'the only one that looks like a Pokemon'? They're all Pokemon, and look like them too!! :O

realar

realar said:

James don't state your opinion if it ain't valid.
Just say the news and post your 2 cents down here.
But at least we got another lover of Hihidaruma. :D

James

James said:

Hello guys, just a few clarifications and thoughts from myself (the author of this post in case you're not familiar with me.)

News is not a race, and posting this a mere three days after the leaked screens doesn't constitute a huge drop in its pertinence. We can't always be first for everything: sometimes we have to play catch-up, but that's preferable to not having the news on here at all, right?

I've taken onboard comments about my opinion seeping into the news - let's face it, there's naff-all else interesting to write about these monsters unless you want to know what moves and abilities it will have, which Serebii is far better at catering for. Duly noted. Incidentally, the "far prettier than the first lot" tagline is a joke aimed at those who witnessed the storm in a teacup the first time new Pokémon were unveiled.

@Realar specifically - I'd love to know how my opinion is not valid when everybody else's is.

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

I guess that thunder steed (or whatever) and bird thingy are alright... And those cogs are honestly no more WTF than Coffing! xD

Brainhost

Brainhost said:

The running out of ideas argument has been invalid since Fearow, so don't start that crap and just enjoy your Pokeymens.

Also, second gen ftw. So there.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

We'll get used to them. Unless you don't get the new games. I'm personally interested in seeing new evolved or prevo forms for existing Pokemon, particularly for the first generation ones. Brand new Pokemon don't interest me much either. At least until I play through the new games.

YoshiSage

YoshiSage said:

The bird's design is unoriginal: it's just Starly with different colors. But I love the electric zebra.

On another note, the new Pokémon professor is HOT. :D

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

Munna is a pre-evolved (baby) form of Drowzee.

@41
I, too, am please to see a female professor for once!

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Munna is a pre-evolved (baby) form of Drowzee.

I had a feeling it was but I wasn't sure. Could have just been a similar Pokémon.

Objection

Objection said:

It's official. I'm passing on this.

Also, saying the new pokemon look dumb isn't an opinion: it's a fact. ;)

GammaGames

GammaGames said:

While the pokemon may look dumb, won't all the other ones be in the game also? So there is WAY moer than the ones being realesased now. And, I like the 3-D look of the game, so I might consider this.

realar

realar said:

@Prosody It's because you haven't seen all of them yet.
That's why.
I have good things to say about the newbies.
Don't always be negative.
I never said you couldn't state your opinion, I'm saying that pushing an opinion in the headlines is not a valid way of pushing the news. Sure I'm glad you're posting the news, but just say what they are with a possible origin with some RESEARCH before you down thumb anything. That goes for all of you.

Aenaida

Aenaida said:

It's because you haven't seen all of them yet. That's why.

Neither have we, and I certainly don't need to research anything to see that the Pokémon revealed so far are incredibly bland (seriously, Gear is just... two gears. There's nothing special about him or any of the others). All in my opinion, of course.
About stating your opinion in a news piece, I'd be inclined to agree with you if this was a serious issue involving politics or whatever. In this case, however, I don't think it really matters. Although...

Untitled

...I could be wrong.

That's my two cents.

Fun Fact: Araragi translates to "Japanese Yew," so that'll probably be her name in the English translation (minus the first word, of course).

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

For anyone who says the new Pokemon look dumb/ugly/whatever and get all nostalgic over the first generation, I have only one thing to say:
Mr Mime :P
Every generation has some we love and some we hate.

p.s. deciding whether you'll get the game or not based on the physical appearance of a few Pokemon is rather silly

CharlieRod

CharlieRod said:

from what Ive seen, this game looks like its going to use 3d from the 3ds, but compatible with DS lite and I too.

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

@50
Indeed, should be a good introduction game, or to help pessimistic players adjust to the 3D.