Kingdom Hearts Returns to DS with Re:coded

Posted by James Newton

Square Enix and Disney collaboration continues

Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days was released less than a year ago but Square Enix is already shouting about its next entry in the series, with Kingdom Hearts Re:coded heading to DS.

Here's the official press release containing what little information we have:

Developer: Square Enix Co., Ltd./h.a.n.d. Inc.
Publisher: Square Enix, Inc.
Platforms: Nintendo DS
Genre: Action RPG
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Ship Date: TBD

Sora’s journey in KINGDOM HEARTS II has drawn to a close, and now a new tale is set to begin.
Jiminy Cricket is looking over the journal he used to document his first adventure with Sora when he discovers a mysterious message. He didn’t write it – so how on earth did it get there? King Mickey is determined to find out, so he and his friends decide to digitize the journal and delve into its deepest secrets. Inside this “datascape” dwells a second Sora who is about to embark on a grand adventure of his very own.

For more information on KINGDOM HEARTS Re:coded, please visit the Square Enix E3 site at:

The link itself doesn't include any more information than this press release sadly, but you can bet we'll know more next week at E3.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

it sounds like a boring spin-off.
I don't want to replay the same Levels again.

I want something new

AVahne

AVahne said:

Whoa, wasn't coded that Japanese exclusive cell phone game? And wasn't it also part puzzle game?
But anyway, THIS IS AWESOME NEWS!!!!!
DS is already the portable RPG heaven for me right now(GBA games aren't as easy to find as I thought) so this is very great news.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I really want to play the kingdom hearts series but I only own nintendo consoles and I know that you have to play the other games to understand the storyline and the storyline looks really good in the KH series.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

If they can do this, then where the heck is my DSi exclusive release of Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII? Seriously Square Enix. >: (

Sabrewing

Sabrewing said:

Heh, even when Sora's part of the story is over, it continues. Poor confused kid.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Eh...chances are we're just gonna get some KH game with levels from another game...most likely KH2 or something...it happened with the last two. I want something new with the levels and Disney characters...T_T

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

More KH is never a bad thing. Cant wait. Glad to see another title coming behind the PSP KH that is coming later this year!

KINGDOM HEARTS 3 PS3 IS RUMORED TO BE SHOWN AT E3! :)

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

YES! Hurray!:D I was hoping I would get a chance to play this, since I hate playing games on my Cellphone (if CODED was even available in the U.S.)

However, just so everyone knows, there was a lot of recycled stuff in CODED, if I recall correctly, so don't expect an entirely new game.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

I'd better see Tifa in this one. Mmmm... luscious Tifa... oh, if you were real... mmm... wait, did I just say that out loud? :x

ueI

ueI said:

@Mariofanatic: The instruction booklet of Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days has a brief summary of the previous games, so you might not have to worry much if you read that.

Lanmanna

Lanmanna said:

Don't get me wrong, KH is one of my favorite series, but I have already played the levels from KH1 about 3 times throughout KH1, KH:CoM, and 358/2 Days. Do I REALLY want to replay the same levels a 4th time? I just don't know...

realar

realar said:

Guys you obviously don't know that there are no spinoffs in the Kingdom Hearts series. Every game in the series supplies more information about the KH storyline instead of starting another storyline altogether which is what a spinoff usually does.

MarkyVigoroth

MarkyVigoroth said:

Yay! This really is a new business model that lowers barriers of entry! Now coded is even more accessible!

I hope that the other Kingdom Hearts Mobile gets released one day, even if only to complete my collection...

(I also agree with TwilightV-san over a remake of Before Crisis: Final Fantasy VII...)

Knux

Knux said:

A remake of coded is coming to the DS? Day one purchase for me! :D

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

SWEET! I was just complaining about that Japan-only cell phone KH game the other day...coming out West on a game platform I own? No complaints here!:D

Everyone complaining that they want new worlds should save up for the Birth By Sleep PSP bundle releasing in a few months. Unless you already have a PSP, in which case the game itself will suffice.;)

Nintendoftw

Nintendoftw said:

This is completely diffrent from Kingdom heatrs 358/2 days.. But the thing is- It's a port from a mobile game..

miketh2005

miketh2005 said:

Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days must've done really well. I still have yet to play it, I'm really behind on my DS games. I'm on the last boss of Spiderman: Web of Shadows. I must say, it was better than I expect. The sense of speed and action is just awesome, its just too short and not deep enough as it should have been. Sonic the Hedgehog could learn a few things from this game...

Anyway, the plot for this game must be the worst plot I've seen in years!

WildPidgeyAppears

WildPidgeyAppears said:

I can't say I have any interest in this series these days, especially if what people here are saying is true that the spinoffs usually feature retreads of old levels. What started off as an interesting pet project is now just a milkable cow and it seems fans don't care how many times they have to replay the same levels.

ueI

ueI said:

Maybe they expect new fans to buy the games who haven't played the levels yet.

Objection

Objection said:

Geez, I'm getting sick of KH games stretching the time between I and II and thereabouts. I just want an actual sequel. Preferably something with a "III" in the title.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

ALL RIGHT!!! I was jealous of Japan for getting this game on their phones. The Japanese trailer for the phone game gave me chills.

P.S. All the people moaning about the spin-off thing: you should know this take place AFTER KHII.So it's kind of a 2 1/2.