Japanese Virtual Console list - July 2010

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

A fresh breath of life for Japan

The Virtual Console seems to have been winding down in its amount of releases worldwide as of late, but Japan seems to be the first region to stop that nonsense - Next month they'll bet getting six new retro games. A whole four of them are for the Neo Geo, but it's still nice to see the VC is not quite ready to die just yet.

The full list of new games for Japan in July is as follows:

Famicom:

• Moero TwinBee Cinnamon Hakushi o Sukue! (The second TwinBee game on the Famicom, it mixes things up with horizontal stages in addition to the standard vertical ones. It was, strangely, released in North America as Stinger.)

Super Famicom:

• Metal Max 2 (Oddly similar to the original Final Fantasy in terms of graphics, this is an RPG with a modern war setting by Data East.)

Neo Geo:

• Dunk Dream (A basketball game, which was also released as Street Hoop in North America and Street Slam in Europe.)
  • Magical Drop III (Similar to the previous game, this is pretty much a mixture of Puyo Puyo and Puzzle Bobble/Bust-A-Move.)
  • Top Scorer: Flame of Libero (A football/soccer game which is actually the fourth in a series, strangely, they've chosen to release it before the first three. The western release, known as The Ultimate 11, is one of the absolute rarest Neo Geo games - Less than 10 copies are known to exist!)
  • World Heroes Perfect (The final World Heroes game, which aside from a few new gameplay elements only offers one new character.)

Now, let's hope other publishers start stepping their game up again as well!

Related Games

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Japan knows how to celebrate the world cup, COME ON NINTENDO WORLD CUP PLEASE!

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Magical Drop III is also on the Data East Arcade Classics collection, but barring a European release this might be my only option as it's a pretty nice puzzle game.

Don

Don said:

When I first read the title, I thought that the original "Breath of Fire" is being released on the VC for Super Famicom for Japan.

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

Magical Drop III is cool, but I'm much more fond of Bust-A-Move [Puzzle Bobble if you will]. :)

Adamant

Adamant said:

"Ultimate Eleven" is Super Sidekicks 4, yes. They gave it an unrelated English name for whatever reason.

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

I like NEO GEO games... but I hate the default button layout... Wish we got these games... : /

Also, where the HELL is SNK arcade classics 2??

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Street Hoop is OK, but I though the games went by too quick. Magical Drop III is a great puzzle game that I think is nearly as good as Puzzle Bobble.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Yeah World Heroes Perfect is the best of the series and one heck of a fighting game. I still pop it in my cabinet on a regular basis. Great to see it coming.

jbrodack

jbrodack said:

To clear things up about Ultimate 11 first off that is just the western name. Second, its only the home version with that name that is that rare. The arcade cart version (MVS) is a lot more common. People collect both types of games for neo geo.

Incognito_D

Incognito_D said:

Is that a Super Sidekicks game? If the 3rd one was to come out on VC I'd be able to sell my copy of SNK Arcade Classics as I kind of only still hang onto it for Sidekicks - classic arcade game!

Kelvin

Kelvin said:

Those football players are huge! Either that, or the perspective is way, way off. It would be nice to see the ISS series one day, or even better, Sensible Soccer!

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

YES! I just saw my friend play Magical Drop III recently, and it looked so fun. I hope it gets released outside of Japan, but considering the Neo Geo spike in NA and Europe, we might. :) It's a must get for me when it does.

So, no Mega Man 5 or King of Fighters '96 yet. Hmm, maybe next time.

BTW, when i saw my friend play Magical Drop III, the innuendos were kinda...the milk-jug girl was funny is all I'll say, haha.

@Starboy91 I don't think that's what they meant...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

So, no Mega Man 5 or King of Fighters '96 yet. Hmm, maybe next time.

I have a feeling you'll be saying that for quite a few months.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Bass_XO haha, honestly no, i'm not one of those people constantly checking, and then whining when the game i hope for doesn't come out. Actually, the games i REALLY want are Mega Man X and King of Fighters '98, and it doesn't look like the series are coming out fast enough on the VC for those 2 to ever see the light of day. ;)

WanderFan91

WanderFan91 said:

@Kelvin - ooh, Sensible Soccer. I remember having watched Shiryu's gameplay footage of it on YouTube years ago. The players were so tiny, that you could see all of them.

Uncle_Rick

Uncle_Rick said:

Gee...maybe since they've never bothered to release World Heroes 2 yet, maybe we'll get lucky and they'll just skip right to Perfect!