Great Scott! Telltale Bringing Back to the Future to WiiWare

Posted by James Newton

Our excitement level hits 1.21 Gigowatts

Telltale is a busy place to be at the moment: not only is it working on the recently unveiled Puzzle Agent, it recently acquired the rights to produce episodic Jurassic Park games, not yet confirmed for WiiWare but a good probability considering the company's past.

Now we've learnt that the studio is also producing episodic games on another Spielberg-related franchise, bringing Back to the Future back into the present with the first title expected to launch on WiiWare, among other platforms, this Winter.

Little is known about the titles so far, but Telltale's CEO Dan Connors had this to say:

The games are going to exist within these worlds. I wouldn’t call these games sequels per se but a new interpretation of their worlds for a new medium. For one generation, it’s an introduction to these series. For another generation, it’s a thing they can look back on and something they can share warmly with their family and friends.

Sounds like you'll probably have to use your hands... like a baby's toy. Expect plenty more Back to the Future dialogue quotes as the game takes shape.

[via mcvuk.com]

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

If my calculations are correct, when this baby hits eighty-eight miles per hour... you're gonna see some serious [poo-poo]!

KrazyKain

KrazyKain said:

hmm, of course there is a huge chance that the 'reimagination' is just going to suck... lets hope not

James

James said:

Why is everything so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the Earth's gravitational pull?

Demonic_St33V

Demonic_St33V said:

I find this announcement a bit underwhelming.... But I've never been a Back to the Future fan.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Tales of Monkey Island games have been great fun, so I'll overlook my distaste for Back to the Future and hope for enjoyable games in their own right.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

They'd better make it better than that abomination of a game from that certain company with a rainbow in their logo.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

@Rare: Yes, I second the vote for a Goonies adventure game.

As far as Marty McFly and Co., I'm tempering my excitement with a "heavy" dose of concern. It could be great, and I hope it is. But for some reason, I keep getting visions of the CD-i version of Zelda in my head. No clue.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@LittleIrves:

"Oh boy! I can't wait to knock Biff in the manure!"

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@irken004 Actually, i second that. when i heard about the Jurassic Park games, i was much more excited, though...i have to admit, i've never seen any of the back to the future movies...

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Just great. I finally get home to find this and what happens? All the best lines are already taken. D:<

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Would it be considered weird if an episode of this were released the same day as that Retro City Rampage game I just barely learned about?

iAmThetot

iAmThetot said:

As much as I love Back To The Future, and I truly do, I think I'll keep my excitement bottled up till I see some screens or at least some gameplay ideas.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Shhhhhh. Of course. From a group of Libyan nationalists. They wanted me to build them a bomb, so I took their plutonium and in turn, gave them a shiny bomb-casing full of used pinball machine parts! Come on! Let's get you a radiation suit. We must prepare to reload.

said:

cool! I love both franchises and I wonder how they will going to make them as games..I wonder if they are going to be point and click too or what?

Tethers

Tethers said:

?!
WOHOOO!
Hopefully the WiiWare ports will be much (technically) better than the 5 episodes of ToMI, otherwise I won't buy anything again...

Iggy

Iggy said:

Cool news but im not wasting money on a game thats propally going to be crap.

manleycartoonist

manleycartoonist said:

Why don't they make it a BTTF version of Tony Hawk 1... with your choice of Hoverboards/Skateboards/ol' broke apart scooters for each stage?

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Last night, Darth Vader came down from planet Vulcan and told me that if I didn't take Lorraine out that he'd melt my brain.

edofthe209

edofthe209 said:

If this isn't good then Telltale better make like a tree and get outta here.

These movies have way too many good lines!

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

I used to have dreams about the hover board all the time as a kid. I once dreamt that it was Christmas or something, and I opened my present to find a hoverboard, and we had to fill it with this special sawdust stuff to enable the hover feature. Maybe I was on to something...

Oh, and I'd just like to add; WII WITH BUILT IN TIME MACHINE ANNOUNCED AT E3 CONFIRMED!!!

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

I saw it .....in a dream.

It would be nice if it wasn't a point and click, but being as it's from them, that's probably unlikely. It just better be good Johnny.

TrevorTheChan

TrevorTheChan said:

Sounds good to me. If these episodic games try to follow the films' narrative, it'll have too much to live up to and could even feel cheap and lazy. By setting these games in an 'alternate' world, and with Telltale Games behind the wheel, we could be in for a real treat. I wonder what genre these releases will be in.

@Prosody: Marty's "What!?" that follows that line is perhaps the greatest reaction in any film.

Smashbro99

Smashbro99 said:

While Im afraid it might go wrong, this is Telltale and they give me faith. Espicsally after Sam and Max.

fireyoshi09

fireyoshi09 said:

the first back to the future on the nes was a really bad game (i think so). so this one might go wrong too?!?!?.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I do my gaming after breakfast.

Telltale, you disintegrated the BttF license!

Is this gonna be a port, Telltale? Did you rip that off?

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Just tel me one thing, Where'd you learn to shoot like that?

Duck Hunt.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

The BttF movies are amazing! I hope these WiiWare games turn out well.

By the way, I'm afraid Microsoft's Natal is going to be a huge success, because those kids in 2015 were complaining about how you had to use your hands to play the arcade game in the Cafe '80s. I still don't know how we're going to have flying cars and hoverboards in 5 years (or how the Cubs will beat the Marlins in the World Series, since they both play in the same league).

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Ooh, first Telltale game to release across ALL of the platforms they develop for! That means I can dodge the "crappy WiiWare port" bullet and get it on PS3!:D

I liked the little-known Saturday morning cartoon series of Back to the Future, so I find it very unlikely that I wouldn't like a game set in that universe made by Telltale, AKA "a company who is highly trustworthy unless their product is on Wii and is not SBCG4AP.";)

miketh2005

miketh2005 said:

Will they give us this game free? "Hey, uh.. gimme a Pepsi Free." "Pepsi Free? You gotta pay for things around here, bub!"

"What's with the clothes, you just jump ship?"

James

James said:

@Miketh2005 - One of my favourite lines of the series is when Doc says "go around the corner and wait in the diner. Buy a Pepsi - here's a $50". Great stuff.

SMW

SMW said:

I'm not too interested in Back to the Future, but Jurassic Park, on the other hand, is one of my all time favorite movies. I can't wait to see what Telltale can do with Jurassic Park!

Link79

Link79 said:

It's going to be weird some day watching back to the future 2 when it actually is 2015. I'll be like.... Where's the flying cars and Hoverboards? Then I'll probably swing by my local theater and check out Jaws 19.

Nintendophile

Nintendophile said:

"Hey McFly, you bojo! This game won't work... Unless it's got POW-WAH!" lol. Couldn't resist shoe-horning a quote in. But seriously, this is epic news! I love TellTale, I love BTTF, so this seems very promising indeed! The people they have working at TellTale are very talented, (especially the writers), and if they keep the game in the same spirit as the movies, this'll be HUGE!

Gameday

Gameday said:

i hope to johnny it b good but still something smells.... and i HATE manure!!!! we'll wait and see after the review if mcfly is still fly in the future...

Musashi

Musashi said:

I LOVED the Monkey Island games.... so I am looking forward to these. Esp the Jurassic park one! :) Keep up the good work TellTale!