E3 2010: Mario Kart Speeding to 3DS

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Shells in your face whoooaaaaa

You know Mario Kart. You (might) love Mario Kart. Nintendo is working on a new Mario Kart. In 3D!

Not shown during the company's E3 keynote but in development all the same is this new outing for the 3DS. Not much is currently known other than it will feature Mario, Luigi, some karts and, according to Nintendo, "shows off the potential of driving and tossing bananas in 3D." So just like the average Nintendo Life staffer's commute, then.

The name isn't final, but if Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii are any indication, our Batman-esque detective skills tell us this one'll be called Mario Kart 3DS.

Check out the gallery below for your first look at the impending blockbuster, and stay tuned to Nintendo Life for hands-on impressions from the show floor.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

This isn't a surprise as mario kart has been on all nintendo consoles that are capapble of a mario kart since the first one and from what is shown so far it looks good.

bboy2970

bboy2970 said:

So is this, animal crossing, star fox, pilotwings, paper mario, and all the other 3DS titles they didnt go over in the conference available for play on the floor?

AVahne

AVahne said:

YAY! I think it'll just be called Mario Kart 3D though.
also, so screens are showing that it looks a lot better than MKWii!

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

I wonder how much more 3DS games will cost, but honestly I don't care at the moment.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Can't wait to see which tracks they include in the new retro cup. I hope they include Koopa Troopa beach (my favorite N64 track) :D Too bad I probably won't be able to play as Rosalina :'( And hopefully they won't ruin the battle mode like they did with MK-DS (blow into mic to refill spare baloons = stupid) and MK-Wii (teams only, no free-for-all mode = lame). I still pull out Double Dash sometimes just for the bomb-blast battles...

@V8 Ninja: I don't think it will be ready at launch. I can recall in fall 2004 prior to DS launch, there were plenty of screenshots online of Mariokart DS, but the actual game wasn't released until fall 2005, about nine to ten months after launch. Reason for the delay was so that Nintendo could perfect and implement the online wifi system. I'd rather wait for a flawlessly excecuted game than be stuck with a lemon that got rushed for release.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

OH MY EFFING GOD NINTENDO HAVE DONE SO EFFING MOTHEREFFING GOOD TODAY MY BRAIN JUST CANNOT EFFING HANDLE SLL OF THIS CRAZY SHEET.

Sorry, I'm just so pumped up from this brilliant, brilliant day in Nintendo history, I really had to vent before I explode.

yoshdude64

yoshdude64 said:

In case you haven't seen it, on the Nintendo Channel they have some 'Iwata Asks' segments. If you watch the 3DS ones, they hint about lots of this stuff for the 3DS.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Please... pleaseeeeeeee include Waluigi Pinball as one of the retro tracks. Can you imagine how freaking incredible that would look in 3D?! drools

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

If they fix Battle Mode (after they ruined it in MKWii) and everything else is up to Mario Kart standards, then I'll be happy.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Mario Kart isnt a must-buy for me anymore. Itll have to depend on the items and the battle mode.

nintendonerd147

nintendonerd147 said:

I just gotta say that i cant wait, this is my character wish list : Mario, Luigi, Peach, Yoshi, Koopa Troopa, Wario, Dry Bones, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Toad, Unlockable characters: Waluigi, Dasiy, Birdo, Toadette, Shy Guy, Petey Phrihana. Wouldnt it be awesome to buy extra characters via nintendo points 100 points a character and they could be in packs for 500 points 5 characters in a pack the packs could be called like Jungle pack which would have characters like DK J.R., Diddy Kong and on. Definately dont have bikes Nintendo. Thanks for reading.

Markystal

Markystal said:

Noticeable improvement in graphics. If the 3DS's online is as good if not better than the ds original's I'll but 2 copies. 1st one for gaming, second won to congratulate Nintendo on a job well done. ANOTHER must buy...

ArjunaAle

ArjunaAle said:

If Nintendo don't stop announcing all these games I'm going to start crying. I think I already have a list of 10 "must buys" and it's looking at least 6 months from the consoles release.

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

make me glad I didn't buy a DSi instead I'll be getting the 3DS. hopefully the koopalings are in this time and I agree no blue shells.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I was going to buy a DSi XL but I won't bother now!

No bikes please Nintendo!

nintendonerd147

nintendonerd147 said:

I hope Nintendo brings Donkey Kong j.r. back he's better than Diddy but I still like diddy. By the way what's happened to Donkey Kong J.R?

Jumpman

Jumpman said:

These pics are so cool that I MY HEART IT HURTS FROM THE AWESOMENESS HELP KU7DHGNPRSKEGGGGGGGGGGGGG

mecoy

mecoy said:

he was also stolen along with the bananas in dkc but they had a choice between which one they wanted to drown in the ocean and which one to save

Bigrat

Bigrat said:

I Hope it takes advantage of the gyroscope so you can use the system as a wheel! =) !!!!!!!!