E3 2010: Kid Icarus: Uprising

Posted by James Newton

Pit returns in 3D! Updated with trailer!

You might remember the mysterious Project Sora from last year, an unknown title set up by Masuhiro Sakurai, famed creator of countless Nintendo characters. Today at E3 2010 we found out the game's real name is Kid Icarus: Uprising and it's heading exclusively to 3DS, and it looks amazing.

If the footage shown was rendered in-game then this looks far beyond anything seen on DS: fast, smooth and bold, the polygon graphics may not be far behind the Wii. As Pit flew over seas, deserts and ruined cities the clarity of the graphics was truly impressive, with great lighting and animation throughout.

In gameplay terms the title looks to combine aerial combat with ground-based fights, with Pit switching between his bow and sword as required. The touchscreen looks as though it will handle aiming as the footage clearly demonstrated a reticule, though it's not known whether the 3DS's other gameplay functions, including a gyroscope and motion sensor, will have any part to play in the title's control.

With spectacular bosses, a grand sense of scale and the return of a much-loved but often forgotten character, Kid Icarus: Uprising was certainly the pleasant surprise many fans were hoping for, and we'll bring you our First Impressions shortly.

Knux

Knux said:

This game looks AMAZING. You can have all my money, Nintendo! :O

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

This game looks amazing, I was expecting a more retro Kid Icarus game, but I am not complaining.

rjejr

rjejr said:

My 5 year old wants to know why this great looking 3D (3D as in Mario 64, not 3DS) game is on the 3DS but the Wii gets 2D side scrollers Kirby and Donkey Kong?

Yes, my 5 year old and his 7 year old brother argue about the merits of 2D vs. 3D all the time.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

This looks like Zelda with wings, which is a good thing! :D Can't wait for this and the 3DS.

hatty475

hatty475 said:

"Sorry to keep you waiting"
After an epic trailer like that, I think I'll forgive you

JGMR

JGMR said:

Finally it is in the open now that Nintendo needed some time to express themselves that they haven't forgot about hardcore gamers at all! Nintendo stole E3's entire limelight! Ridge Racer, Metal Gear Solid 3, Goldeneye, Donkey Kong Country, Kid Icarus Uprising, Zelda OOT remake and Zelda Skyward Sword....DAMN!

Altkey

Altkey said:

Have you seen the trailer for this on the Nintendo Channel on the Wii? It says that it's a DSi game. lol :)

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Eh,.. Don't know why specifically, but I'm not too impressed by the trailer.

odd69

odd69 said:

Me either, i was hoping that it was going to be on Wii. I also hoped it was old school 2D.

Bobpie

Bobpie said:

Wow, it's almost as if Nintendo as been searching through our forums for development ideas (Not that that's a bad thing, mind you.).... StarFox, Ocarina of Time, Pilotwings, Kid Icarus here, even a new franchise! Nintendo have really made a GREAT move here.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Ah, now I know why Nintendo usually keep their main characters silent :P. There is a lot of potential in Kid Icararus and Pit, but hopefully they can still keep the game focused. Looking forward to seeing more of this!

Golgo

Golgo said:

@ Fuzzy: yeah, I hear you...the Amercan emo-teen accent was far from angelic...

taffy

taffy said:

"Sorry to keep you waiting!".... if that wasn't a message to the fans or what?!?! So apart from a kick arse selection of upcoming Wii games, there's the 3ds to get. So much for thinking of getting the new 360

Markystal

Markystal said:

Solidified my decision to get 3ds. I thought they went back and talked about more Wii games when they showed this initially, but halfway throughout the trailer I realized I was wrong. I don't think I've ever been happier in my entire life! A must buy.

Belgicario

Belgicario said:

I don't really want this. Never been a big Kid Icarus fan and there are some other great titles coming.

NiC

NiC said:

whoaa.. new mario, new metroid, new zelda, new kirby, new donkey kong country, new goldeneye and now a new console and a new kid icarus?
man... where should i get all the money for this from, nintendo? i guess you want to see us all in jail :D