3DS Design May Still be Tweaked, Expected to Launch by March

Posted by Trevor Chan

Feedback from E3 taken onboard

Now we know what's to come on Nintendo's upcoming new handheld, the big question gamers want answered is when it will be out. Following last week's report that the 3DS should be released by the end of the fiscal year, Reggie Fils-Aime has spoken to IndustryGamers and confirmed the scheduled launch period and the possibility of the final look being different to what was shown at E3.

The President at Nintendo of America revealed that representatives were seeking feedback from the attendees in an effort to gain impressions on the overall design of the system. When reactions to the button placement, depth slider, and the thumb pad are collected, the final design of the 3DS can then be determined.

He then goes on to elaborate on the expected launch of the handheld:

Well, the reason we haven’t announced a launch date or pricing is that, first, we wanted to get reaction here. Secondly, we’ll be making individual market decisions in terms of what’s happening in Japan, what’s happening in the Americas, what’s happening in Europe. The one thing, for sure, is that we will launch in all of our major markets by March 31, 2011.

It still boggles the mind that the 3DS is scheduled for launch so soon. If any tweaking is to be done, they'd best make a start now as they don't want any supply shortages come release day. The full interview will soon be published on IndustryGamers.

[via industrygamers.com]

skywake

skywake said:

If he is saying the 3DS is launching based on "what’s happening in Japan, what’s happening in the Americas, what’s happening in Europe", which agrees with what some analysts have said. Then we can expect it to launch based on how DS sales are doing in each region. So Japan gets it first, Europe not long after and the Americas last.

Pegasus

Pegasus said:

@Mars11 If anything I would expect even bigger supply shortages, unless Nintendo puts more forethought into such.

In any case, now we'll just need a new "It Prints Money" animation for the 3DS. I'm definitely going to pre-order one as soon as online retailers start taking them.

@Caliko It has a front-facing camera just above the top screen.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

"We’ll be making individual market decisions in terms of what’s happening in Japan, what’s happening in the Americas, what’s happening in Europe."

And once again (what a surprise) no mention of Australia or New Zealand to be seen...just kidding folks! :D

skywake wrote: "If its all by the end of March next year..... I think some of the analyst predictions are probably right. Japan and Europe before Christmas, the Americas in Feb/March."

That'd be quite a reversal from the old DS, since that was Japan and the Americas before Christmas and Europe in Feb/March! And based on Oceania's run with Nintendo releases (we get them the day before Europe, on a Thursday), that means that once again Australia and New Zealand would follow immediately after Japan! Just like the DSi! Also, I hope they release a spectrum of colours for the 3DS in a similar manner to the Game Boy Color, except with more choices (red, orange, yellow, lime, green, aqua, cyan, blue, navy, purple, magenta, pink, silver, white, black and clear just to name a few...)

moosa

moosa said:

@Mars11 "I hope they don't have any shortages like last time."

It will be impossible for Nintendo to not have shortages of this thing from day 1. Just letting you know.

McGruber

McGruber said:

I would like them to debut with an all black one. They had one at e3 but that doesn't mean they will have one at launch, just like the Wii. I don't really like the two color thing. It reminds me of the Gameboy Advance SP.

Kevin

Kevin said:

march was one of my date guesses from a previous topic so its gonna be this, Mortal Kombat and possibly the new pokemon generation in March. Sounds good to me.

LoopyLuigi

LoopyLuigi said:

I have a suggestion for Nintendo:
Make the ABXY buttons BIGGER! Please?
My one complaint with the DS is that I end up mashing buttons when things heat up in gameplay.

Lotice-Paladin

Lotice-Paladin said:

My guess is; Japan in late October/early November, Europe/PAL in late November/late December, Americas late January/early February.

Would be nice if they all had the same date though. :(

Phobos

Phobos said:

Oooh... not bad at all. I like that.
Darn! A lot has happened with the 3DS while I was on vacation from Nintendo Life. Oh yeah, Animal Crossing at the E3? Thanks Nintendo!

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

@Lionsgate I think the two color thing looks great. And I loved the GBA SP!
Now for my actual comment: I hope they put the mic closer to the hinge, maybe right above it. I didn't see any shoulder buttons, hopefully they're just like the ones on the DS Lite, they didn't look cool but they didn't break easy, on the DSi it felt like they were gonna fall off any second. Also, maybe they could move the slide pad near the bottom center like on the N64, otherwise left-handed players would have a hard time with Kid Icarus. Or, go to the extremes and add a second slide pad on the other side, above the face buttons so playing a DS game would feel more comfortable and the lefties would get their rights. Now hopefully no one kills me for the pun.

TLink9

TLink9 said:

What is with everyone saying that europe will get it first. It would most likley be america.
So my predictions are,
America: Early December
Japan: Late Janurary
Europe: Late March

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

@TLink9: It's purely based on the fact that the PAL regions have sold more DS, DS lite, DSi and DSi XL units combined than the Americas. I think the pattern of release will indeed be reversed from the DS pattern, something like this:

Japan: Late October/Early November this year
Australia and New Zealand: Late November/Early December this year (missing my birthday by a few weeks at least :| )
Europe: The day after Australia and New Zealand (Check it out - you'll find that we Aussies and Kiwis get our games the day before Europe does! Well, except VC, WiiWare, DSiWare, VH and 3DSWare that is...)
The US and Canada: Late January/February/Early March next year

The reason for that suspected timeframe is that whilst the Americas got the DS months before the PAL regions (like so, so much :( ), it actually sold more units in Europe and Osh than in the US and Canada, prompting Nintendo to release the DSi in the PAL regions first!

skywake

skywake said:

actually, the only reason analysts are saying that it will release in America last is because sales haven't slowed as much there as they have in Europe and Japan. In Japan DS sales have been slowing since 2006, in Europe the peak was 2008 (before the GFC). In America and despite the GFC, 2009 was the best year for DS game sales.

Thus Japan, then Europe than America... to stretch out DS sales in America for all their worth. The reason for the staggered delay? Supply!

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I was hoping it would be out in time for christmas but it sounds like I'll have to wait till' my birthday on the 11th April.

Natie31

Natie31 said:

Hope to come out soon, if it does on March 31, which its my B-day that will be cool and still bein i just got the DSi XL i need to used it till then.

Mendoza

Mendoza said:

Add a white colour, put the upper screen a bit higher, and make the start, select and home part slightly thinner. Also, maybe larger buttons as Sylverstone already suggested?

Oh and I don't really like the chrome 3D slider. Although it works very good.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

[quote=Caliko]Nintendo!!

Bring Back The Front Facing Camera!!![quote]

If you look at the top of the screen you can see the obvious Front facing camera clearly there.

Kawaiipikachu

Kawaiipikachu said:

[quote=Caliko]Nintendo!!

Bring Back The Front Facing Camera!!![quote]

Caliko

Caliko said:

oh!! WHEW!!

Thanks guys! the "no front facing camera" was my biggest gripe!!

ummmm... so....

Nintendo!! add 2 front facing cameras for 3D user imaging!!

timp29

timp29 said:

3ds changes:
i) try to move the d pad
ii) have two front facing cameras so you can take 3d photos

hahah just read caliko's post :p sorry bloke

parker60

parker60 said:

the release date i heard was early december for america
to tell the truth i just want to get The legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
and Mario Cart and a few others

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

I hope it comes to NA before Xmas!
EDIT: Then again, maybe not. The last thing I need is to have a hard time getting one of these...