Unreal Famicom Games are... Well, Unreal

Posted by James Newton

Famicase project shows off 2010 line-up

The humble Famicom cartridge may not seem like the perfect canvas on which to create art, but every year Japanese game shop Meter hosts Famicase, a project aiming to prove just the opposite. Artists are asked to create artwork for a fictitious game and display it on a Famicom cart, and predictably the results range from the brilliant to the bizarre.

If you're into some oddball artwork and don't mind gawping at awesome-looking cartridges you'll never be able to own, you might want to check out the Famicase exhibition. Our favourites include flying game The Family Twitter and Bubbles, a game that includes a special straw adaptor to assist you in blowing bubbles.

[via kotaku.com]

AlbertX

AlbertX said:

Wow really amazing, to bad the site is a pain to watch the pictures.
I must say I really miss the days of cartridges, especially famicon ones (I had one in Venezuela) the art on the cartridge, like the SuperNes, I dont Know there was something cooler about it than putting a CD, DVD or Blu Ray on the system.

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

Yeah, I also loved some of the artwork done on the old NES and SNES carts, even some N64 ones

What they put on CD/DVD whatever just isn't the same :(

Also, carts have the advantage of sticking out the top of your console so you already know whats in it before you need to check!

Incognito_D

Incognito_D said:

This is probably the last generation that will use discs anyway, I predict. Although it won't mean the return of carts either :(

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

@5

I believe that same line is one of the built-in image options for your cartridges in Wario Ware DIY, but I don't know its origin. Does someone here have a historical explanation?

CharlieRod

CharlieRod said:

IDK, but you can get cool T-shirts from the King of Games website with it on there, and I think they have an explanation...
And the games on these carts seem pretty sad.

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

I need to get me those cartiges and a replica Game MakerMatic 21!

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Hmm, I've seen that zig-zag before. It's in Strong Bad's basement!
Untitled
I've seen it in other places too. I think it was used frequently throughout the 80s and such.

sontuk

sontuk said:

The zig zag thing- I'm pretty sure it was the cover of most nintendo famicom games

Boman

Boman said:

Hi guys I just created a famicom label for my latest youtube video,
check it out!
I plan on doing some more in the future.