Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Speeds Past Summer Release Date, Into Late 2010

Posted by James Newton

Delay for WiiWare platformer for extra polish

Nobody likes being made to wait, especially Sonic himself, but Sega has just announced its upcoming return to the hog's 2D roots, Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1, is going to miss its Summer release slot and will now be available in "late 2010."

SEGA has decided to extend the development of the game, and will now release Sonic The Hedgehog 4 Episode I in the latter half of 2010. The additional time will allow the Development Team to focus on ensuring overall high-quality throughout the game by continuing to tune, balance, and maintain the kind of polish that an important title like this demands, and ultimately providing fans with an unrivalled classic Sonic feel.

Although this is disappointing, how many times in the past have you wished Sega would have spent a little longer working on a Sonic title before releasing it? Particularly with a title as important to the character as this one, it's perhaps not a terrible thing that it's getting some extra development time.

There's currently no confirmed release date but Sega will be making another announcement later today, possibly including an official date. Until then, keep shining your super sneakers and dreaming about those lovely golden rings.

[via blogs.sega.com]

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Man, that sucks. At least they're putting extra effort in and not rushing it like some of the recent abominations that have been laughably branded as Sonic games.

kevohki

kevohki said:

Extra effort resulting in an extra disappointing Sonic game. Oh Sonic, I kid, I kid...

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Well, unhappy about the delay but happy for the extra polish.

This game better be shiny and worth it!

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Apparently they'll be announcing something else after it appears on Gamespot's On The Spot.

I'll bet this is why all that gameplay was leaked...

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

This'll be a good thing. Now I won't forget about it when I'm blasting through Shantae: Risky's Revenge. <3<3<3

WildMan

WildMan said:

While I'm disappointed, I'm glad that there not rushing it and just slapping things together like they have for previous Sonic's.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

I kinda got that impression when I set up the E3 booth visit with Sega. I mentioned I'd like to try it out, if it wasn't already released and was told I didn't have to worry on that one. LOL. :)

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I'm not the least bit disappointed about this...to me, a delay that's announced for quality reasons is ALWAYS worth it. Nintendo is masterful at those, and their games always rock for it, right? Perhaps SEGA can take a bit of that for themselves. Therefore, I'm HAPPY it's been delayed to make it better.:D

DiggerandIndy

DiggerandIndy said:

Nobody likes delays, but, then again, maybe it'll keep this game from suffering the same fate as Sonic 2006.

Dodger

Dodger said:

I don't pay too much attention to Sonic but I have heard that the 3D ones haven't been that good. I am kinda excited to see what they can do with a 2D one. Still, the new LoZ wii game is what I am waiting for.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

Okay, guess that trailer didn't have enough new stuff to warrant posting it (which I agree with). :P

CharlieRod

CharlieRod said:

Ya. Good job Sega. I'll get this someday... I've actually been playing Sonic games alot lately.

greenellow

greenellow said:

10000 wii points says dimps went to sega ask for extra development time, when sega said no, sonic 06 was brought into the conversation
nah ... i kid the sega ... sorta of

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

I am with Chunky Droid on this one...I have more than enough to keep me busy. I used to hate delays on games when I was younger and didn't work so much. Now that I work pretty much full time, and don't always have the time and money for gaming like I used to, I take advantage of game delays by catching up on my backlog.

Digiki

Digiki said:

The lustre on the foreground platforms is quite unattractive, the backgrounds look nice though.

HappyHappy

HappyHappy said:

This sucks, but I consider this to be good news. Better to wait than a good game than to rush and have a bad game.

JackMack

JackMack said:

They need the extra time to put all the new characters in and add about 50 more "mine cart" levels.

WildPidgeyAppears

WildPidgeyAppears said:

Awww...as long as they really polish it up though, the wait will be worth it.

At least Secret Level isn't making it.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

And yet I still can't shake this feeling that the game is going to be a steaming pile of crap. Go fig.

WildPidgeyAppears

WildPidgeyAppears said:

@Brutus: I'm optimistic. If you haven't played them, the Rush games on DS are some of the best retro-style Sonic games ever. It's the same team, and for that I pray it's a worthy successor to S3&K.

Haydengamer

Haydengamer said:

Looks like a good sonic game I might get. It kinda reminds me of when new super mario bros. wii came out.

Crunc

Crunc said:

I wonder if it really has to do with extra time needed for development or if it really has to do with picking a better time to release it. There's lots of stuff coming this summer and maybe they don't want to be snowed under.

Objection

Objection said:

No, this can't happen! They might release a GOOD Sonic! And that would be a TIME PARADOX! Or something...

odd69

odd69 said:

We shouldn't forget that the 2D Sonic games were not the ones that kinda tarnished the brand it was the 3D games, so i don't think anyone should associate the two. There is no doubt in my mind that this is the way Sonic was intended to play and feel so i say to Sega take all the time you need!!!

ShinRPGGamer

ShinRPGGamer said:

It appears the people who complain about every little thing in the sonic series got something else to complain about.

As for me I could care less on how long it takes as long as it's fun to play

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

If they're going to delay it so they can get the quality to be consistent with the Genesis games, they might as well just cancel it now, otherwise we'll be hearing about this game being delayed until the end of time. Hell, they could even change the name to "Sonic Forever"!

I also lol at the guy who said the Rush games were good. Rush sucked. It started okay, but about halfway through it turned into the same crap as Sonic Advance 2.

Wamtu

Wamtu said:

@Odd69: Hey, don't put SA1 and SA2 in the same category as (ugh) Sonic 06. And Unleashed. I really hate Unleashed. On the other hand, the SA games are my all-time favorite games! And I guess the old ones are okay, too. I guess. ;)