Scribblenauts Sequel is Officially Super

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

First images of the duper sequel show further shenanigans

So, 5TH Cell's fun but flawed DS game Scribblenauts is getting a sequel. Makes sense after selling 1.1 million copies across the globe.

Slapping a "2" on the end of the name would be all well and good, but hardly the most creative way to show off how much improved the new game is. No, for the true game naming connoisseur there is but one word that says "New! Improved! Fancy!" in fewer words than that, and that word is Super.

The adjective is fitting since Super Scribblenauts not only promises to improve how Maxwell is controlled, but also allow players to make use of adjectives to modify what they summon and alter things like behavior, color and size. Finally we'll be able to pit "large purple dinosaur" against "gentlemanly gross clown" to see who is the last one standing. While both on unicycles, of course. With bazookas. Uphill. In the snow. Get off my lawn.

WARNER BROS. INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT ANNOUNCES SUPER SCRIBBLENAUTS

THE FOLLOW-UP TO THE REVOLUTIONARY GAME FOR NINTENDO DS HAS AN OFFICIAL NAME PLUS MORE WORDS, ADJECTIVES AND LIMITLESS CREATIVE POSSIBILITIES FOR GAMERS OF ALL AGES

Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment announces Super Scribblenauts as the title for its follow-up to the groundbreaking hit video game. In the first game, players used their imagination to write any word to bring that object to life and use it to solve puzzles. The original Scribblenauts for Nintendo DS has sold more than 1.1 million units worldwide since its launch in September 2009.

Available in autumn 2010, Super Scribblenauts for Nintendo DS expands the innovative elements from the acclaimed first title, offers upgraded controls and provides gamers with hours of original entertainment with ingenious, fun-filled new features. In Super Scribblenauts, created and developed by 5TH Cell, players use the stylus and touch screen to help Maxwell, the game’s hero, acquire the “Starite,” the prize earned from solving the puzzle in even more robust challenges and redesigned levels.

All-new for Super Scribblenauts, players now have the ability to write any object that comes to mind and modify it in any way they desire using adjectives to reach the goal in many levels. Adjectives can change the colour, size, style, behaviours and many other aspects of the object they are describing. Multiple adjectives can be combined together to produce incredibly creative objects, such as gentlemanly, flaming, flying zombies and purple, obese, winged elephants, allowing the player’s imagination to run wild for an even more inspired and individual experience than ever before.

Mik

Mik said:

' "New! Improved! Fancy!" '

How can something be both new and improved?!

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

Simple. It's a new game, and there are improvements from the last game ;)

Kaeobais

Kaeobais said:

Lol at the last sentence "Get off my lawn"

I'll wait for reviews on this one, but I really hope it turns out great.

Mik

Mik said:

@Everybody:

If it's new, it thus could not have existed before its current state and hence could not be improved upon as it never had anything to compare to.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Super sounds alright. While I was expecting just a "2" on the end, Super does the job well enough.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

Give me some super-upgraded physics, please. Or, at least physics somewhat vaguely resembling reality, where objects are not all identically-flimsy cardboard cutouts.

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

The thought of "Large Purple Dinosaur" versus "Gentlemanly Gross Clown" (on unicycles, in the snow, uphil, both ways... ;) ) is getting me excited for this game the same way the God VS. The Kraken video did for the last game. If this is at E3, and the controls really are improved, it might just steal the show again

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

I read in the ONM in Australia that they've added D-Pad control for Maxwell, and a jump button, which was really the only thing I didn't like about the game.

And yeah, you can be as descriptive as you want, apparently they typed in "Gothic Disco Zombie" and loved the result

jenisnape

jenisnape said:

Getting this as soon as it's released :) And I agreed with the above comment...I want my anvil to be heavy! >:(

Mik

Mik said:

This is such a throwback to the days of old: the Super NES

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

seems like we're seeing a resurgence of the "Super" prefix... seen a number of those lately, and it's been a while. has an old school charm to it.

more on topic of the game: i've yet to pick up the first, though i wanted it like crazy, despite the complaints. this seems to be fixing all the problems... could be an instant buy for me.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

More and more, this sounds like what the first game SHOULD have been. Honestly, I didn't realize that the game couldn't recognize adjectives until I'd already bought it. I was sorely disappointed. Of course, the crap controls and physics didn't help much either.:P

Speaking of the physics, an article about the game in a recent Nintendo Power mentioned plans to improve them as well. No more everything acting like it's made of paper!:D

I'm still feeling a bit cautious about this game after I was burned so badly with the first, but it IS sounding good. Also, I approve of the title, as it does a "super" job of pointing out the new adjective system.;)

JimLad

JimLad said:

I get a worrying sense that this game will not feature any kind of content creation/sharing. IMO that is a crucial step for a sequel like this.

What they are describing is merely a patch on top of the original game, which they will attempt to sell at full retail price.
Not looking good so far.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Good to see them using the money and feedback from the first game to improve the sequel. This type of puzzle game is right up my alley, if done well.

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Even with all of its problems, the original was still a worthwhile purchase for me (okay, it was a gift). Made me chuckle every time I turned it on. And damn hard, too. Probably won't get this upgrade, but I hope even more get to check out 5th Cell's effort, since the concept itself is so brilliant.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

I gotta say, great title, 5th Cell. We haven't seen a lot of non-Mario games with "Super" in the title since the SNES days! I'll be looking out for this one.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

They've perfected the control scheme it would seem, making this game head towards being a ds classic.

nintendopower33

nintendopower33 said:

Super Scribblenauts? I'm a HUGE fan of Scribblenauts, but what's up with the word Super next to Scribblenauts? Couldn't they just put a 2 next to the word nauts? Yeah, I get it...adjectives...super...it's obvious, but the word super is just the opposite of sad. u got it...