Nintendo Download: 1st & 2nd June 2010 (Japan)

Posted by Sean Aaron

Download drought for Japan next week

It's hard to remember a week like this in the Japanese download scene, much less a second consecutive week without a WiiWare release, but here we are. To top it off there's only one DSiWare game and it's the third in a series we had two of last week. On the bright side there's a Virtual Console release for the Wii... although that too is a sequel. Could this be the end of the line for the Japanese Wii download services?

Virtual Console

Heisei Shin Onigashima: Kouhen (800pts Super Famicom – Nintendo) – The second and last part of an updated Super Famicom rerelease of the FDS title Shin Onigashima.

DSiWare

Ai Sengoku Spirits Gaiden: Kenshin Hen (500pts – Papillon) – A 3rd strategy game set during the Japanese period of civil war preceding the founding of the Tokugawa Shogunate. From the title this game focuses on the battles involving the daimyo Uesugi Kenshin.

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

Bokumo Sekai wo Sukuitai (= I also want to save the world) by Poisoft is coming on the 1st of June, according to the Nintendo Channel - but the game seems apparently delayed.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Ratengo I just checked and the date for that game is June 15th. It actually looks like a really fun Wiiware came that will never make it outside of Japan. :(

@NL So yeah, not "...the end of the line", just a break. A very weird one, but still.

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

@Tsuchinoko: Ah, I checked yesterday. Okay! Hmm, my guess is that three text-heavy or strategy games in one week are maybe too much even for Japan. ;)

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Ratengo well, the funny thing is, Japan is going to have a rather consistant VC release schedule this month, and as always the DSi gets plenty of attention. But the Wiiware is on pause. Its kinda the opposite in NA, where they rarely get consecutive weeks with VC games these days.

BTW, you're from Sweden? One of my favourite bands is Dungen. :)

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

@Tsuchinoko: The WiiWare service is way more popular in the Americas (49 titles vs. Japan's 21 released so far this year). The Virtual Console service does better in Japan (27 titles vs. American 16). I want Nintendo to release even more VC games in its homeland: 10 to 15 per month at minimum, not just 5...! :P

Yeah, I'm from Sweden. Do you really live in Japan? Cool! I almost envy you. :)

Egg_miester

Egg_miester said:

wow the japanese don't like wiiware that much they don't seem to get many wiiware games

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Well, there has been a fair amount of catch-up titles for Japan lately, so it's only the original stuff that I would be interested in that's lacking (Fantasic Cube being the last such game). The lack of quality PC Engine and Arcade games is also depressing me. But since I've got 8 pages of downloads on my Japanese Wii I don't really feel I can complain too much!

Mostly the "is this the end?" is a little false drama to act as a chorus with the weekly "the Virtual Console is dead!" refrain during release news for other territories.

Ratengo

Ratengo said:

@Tsuchinoko: Wow! I paid a visit to the Kansai area 1,5 years ago and spend 8 nights at ryokan Heianbo (after 2 nights in Osaka). Kyoto is full of interesting cultural heritages and I enjoyed my stay very much so I want to go there again in the future! My Wii was actually bought at Bic Camera store next to the central station. :)

vio

vio said:

I'm so envious of Japan. I dream of the day that here in the US we'll get a week without a crap load of WiiShovelWare.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Clinker: That's true and one game I'm really looking forward to. I have all the other Bit.Trips on my Japanese Wii - this was initially only because BEAT came out in Japan before Europe, however they're cheaper in Japan than elsewhere and I like having them all together, so I'm just going to buy the whole series in Japan.

Apparently we have to wait a few months for the Japanese RUNNER release!

jbrodack

jbrodack said:

I laughed at the "is this the end of the line for wiiware" part since as you said people always say nintendo is done with Virtual Console every time there are no new VC titles. The idea that the scheduling just worked out that way never seems to occur to most people.

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

@Sean_Aaron I was thinking of asking you, since i don't know who else would know, but would you recommend the DSi strictly based on its DSiWare service. I was thinking of getting a DSi while here in Japan, since its much easier to get than a Japanese Wii since it is portable. Its a shame there isn't a VC type service on the DSi yet, but i was looking at certain games like Kappa Michi (love Brownie Brown!). I haven't looked at too many other games on the service, but I'm sure there are plenty of quality games in all genres (Turn-based RPGs, strategy-based ones, adventure games, puzzle games, sims) but i don't have any friends here who actually HAVE a DSi, so i don't know who can recommend the DSiWare service.

Tell me your thoughts, since i know you import a lot of games. I'm curious to know if you'd recommend it.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Tsuchinoko: Well, I was given my DSi LL, however having played a lot of DSiWare on it, I absolutely wouldn't part with it and I use it for DSiWare almost exclusively.

Outside of the dozens of games I've bought to preview there's still a big list of stuff like the Art Style games I still want to check out. I like the ability to play carts, but given I do my DSi gaming in short bursts DSiWare is a better fit for me. I've got a full list in my Backloggery so that might help (assuming our tastes at all cross paths).

Oh and if the G.G. Series games looked at all interesting to you, then you'll probably want to pick up the G.G Series Collection+ cart rather than buy the DSiWare games as there's nearly as many unreleased games on it to go with all the DSiWare ones - definitely on my Play-Asia.com buy list!