Marth Returns as New Fire Emblem for DS Announced

Posted by James Newton

Looks like a remake of the third title

Tactical battling on the go is a big win for us here at Nintendo Life Towers: many's the hour we've spent on Advance Wars and Fire Emblem, so the opportunity to get more of either is something we welcome with open arms. We already knew about a new Advance Wars, but today the Japanese Fire Emblem site has been updated with a new trailer showing the game's animated cinematics and little else.

Known as "Fire Emblem: Monshou no Nazo Hikari to Kage no Eiyuu" – or, in a rough translation, Fire Emblem: Mystery of the Emblem: Hero of Light and Shadow – it's a remake of the third game in the Fire Emblem series, released on Super Famicom. Ready to get confused?

The Super Famicom original was a remake of the very first Fire Emblem with a new sequel included for good measure, but considering the DS has already received a remake of the first title in the form of Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon it's likely this new game will just include the sequel part. Clear as day.

Ease your addled mind with a trip to the official Fire Emblem site to check out the trailer.

[via andriasang.com]

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

What they should be doing is remaking The Binding Blade! (i think that is what it is called)

AVahne

AVahne said:

NEW FIRE EMBLEM!!!!!YEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Even if it's a remakes, I'M FREAKING EXCITED ANYWAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU NINTENDO! THANK YOU INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS!!!!!!!!!

therick112

therick112 said:

Hopefully this will make it to the US. Remakes of the old Japanese NES and SNES games are MORE than welcome, since we have no access to them here.

Digiki

Digiki said:

Well so far Marth's track record on the DS is 100% crappy games. If this is only book 2 from FE3, then I can almost assure you this will also be crap.

Perhaps is this is a remake of FE3, in full, then it could have potential.

AVahne

AVahne said:

I'm guessing that shadowed character behind Marth will be something like Mark from FE7, except maybe this time we get to be represented by a playable lord-class character instead of a tactician, since Jagen is Marth's tactician in FE3.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Also, it looks like they got a new artist for the art. it looks very...comic book style now!

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I hope its not as crappy as Shadow Dragon. That lacked so much personality that Fire Emblem games usually have.

Phobos

Phobos said:

"FINALLY!"

But since it's a remake (thank the Lord I haven't played the original - more excitement within the game), I just hope it's not another gimmick. We seriously need somethin' good, 'cos people have been screaming "Fire Emblem" for what seems centuries.

I'll be wary with my wallet. ¬_¬

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

We already knew about a new Advance Wars
You're not making the mistake of thinking the Famicom Wars DS2 that is listed every 3 months in the Nintendo shareholders report is a new game. Its just Advance Wars: Days of Ruin (and why it still hasn't come out despite the script being written in Japanese first I have no answer for, Nintendo is a strange company sometimes).

I can't make many comments until more info and I'd rather not get into idle speculation or mad debates but I guess they have to be a bit more liberal with this remake due to certain things about the original (like no player units that could use axes...well axes were useless back then as there no build stat or strength cancelling out weight meaning axe users had no speed).

@Digiki. What? So it will be rubbish if it contains book 2 but not rubbish if it contains a cut-down version of Shadow Dragon as well (a game you just said was rubbish), which is what book 1 was.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

They need to remake this with Gaiden as one, it would be so stupid not too, both games took place in the same world.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

I first read the title as Math returns, and now I'm disappointed. We need more math-oriented games like the excellent Art Style: Decode.

jackaroo

jackaroo said:

"We already knew about a new advance wars". We did? First ive heard. Care to fill us in.