Hey Now, Kirby Wii Might Actually Be Happening This Time

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Mythical platformer shows signs of life

It's been a long time coming, but it looks like a Kirby adventure might actually make it onto Wii yet.

According to Official Nintendo Magazine UK, a list of upcoming Nintendo releases attached to the company's Financial Results Briefing document includes the elusive Hoshi no Kirby, or Kirby of the Stars as the Queen would say. Unsurprisingly, the entry doesn't have an associated release date other than To Be Announced.

The pink puff has made appearances in many games over the years, but the last time a home console saw a brand-new Kirby platformer was 2001's Kirby 64: The Crystal Shards.

Before you get too excited, keep in mind that a Kirby Wii game has been on release schedules for years and has yet to even be shown, making the game something of a unicorn. That being said, let's connect some speculative dots.

The June issue of Nintendo Power has a big teaser page at the end with a block of text saying that their July issue will have, among other things, an exclusive reveal of a "huge new title." The text is placed on top of an image taken in space with a large pink nebula in the top left quarter. Magazines tend to name their issues a month in advance, so the July issue will actually be released in June right around the time of E3.

Again, the listing is not conclusive proof that Kirby will finally star in a new adventure, but it seems as likely as ever.

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

pixelman

pixelman said:

Interesting. It'd be nice to see Ninty make another 3D platformer besides the Galaxy games.

SMW

SMW said:

Nebula? Sounds more like Galaxy to me. I also don't see Nintendo referring to a Kirby game as huge. Kirby is coming, though. (Eventually)

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Cool, its been a long time since Kirby 64. Ill be playing this one hopefully soon.

Knux

Knux said:

If this is true, I would deftinely buy it. A new 2.5D Kirby platformer is would be awesome. :)

McGruber

McGruber said:

In general they haven't really put much focus into their other characters aside from Samus, Link, and Mario. In comparison we got Luigi's Mansion, Kirby Air Ride, 2 Starfox, and several Donkey Kong games for GC. Of course these games didn't get the Mario treatment, but at least they still came out. I would like to see a 3D Kirby platformer. I think Ninty is just scared to put effort into any other characters, but they need to continue to innovate. DK also needs a platformer!

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

This is it. The clue in Nintendo Power was a kirby wii game. It showed a picture of stars meaning Warp Star. If I'm right I'm going to pat myself on the back.

Objection

Objection said:

This same Kirby has been hinted or teased since 2005 or 2006, for the Gamecube at the time. I'd love to see it, but I definately ain't holding my breath.

NintendoNaut

NintendoNaut said:

I remember that old Kirby game that was teased a few years back. I thought it had died, but maybe there's life in it yet.

jer18

jer18 said:

YES. Yeah, ahem.. I'll hold the excitement until the date draws nearer..

Aronos

Aronos said:

This better not turn out like the Pikmin scandal lol.
Where they showed a tiny pikmin hidden in a pic and everyone thought it was going to be Pikmin 3, but it turned out it was just the new play control ones.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I would love to see a new Kirby game for the Wii. I expected it sooner, especially after Super Smash Bros. Brawl.

siavm

siavm said:

A kirby game is also on the list you are talking about. I never comes out though. This time though is no different so there.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Well, I love that Kirby Wii is still alive but I hope more info is dished out soon, maybe E3. I can bet that HAL Laboratory and Project Sora could be working on it. Sakurai did an ace job on Brawl so bringing back the designs of Kirby, Meta-Knight and King Dedede from the game itself could peak some serious interest.

(And it's about time the pink puff gets a console outing, it's been all about Mario, Link and Samus lately. What about Kirby, Fox, Ness, Captain Falcon, Donkey Kong and Olimar?)

Kevin

Kevin said:

Knowing Nintendo now its probably gonna be some casual game like on the balance board or something.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

@Kevin If You're right, Nintendo is really shooting itself in the foot and slapping its fans across the face in the process. What the game needs is simple Wii-remote-held-sideways gameplay with the option to use the Classic Controller or GameCube controller.

Hoshi no Kirby was unfortunately canceled for GameCube because Nintendo was needlessly quick to dismiss GCN after Wii was released and now what's left of the game hangs in limbo. I'd rather the game was released for GameCube as originally planned, but I'd settle for a Wii release.

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

wasn't this already released in japan? I remember seeing screenshots of the GCN version a long time ago... good times.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

@turtlelink Like I said, it was canceled, dusted, smoked, killed, shot down, raked across the coals, robbed of its innocence, mugged in a back alley and left for dead...

CharlieRod

CharlieRod said:

Kirby games are awesome. Loved Canvas Curse, 64, and Super Stars. Hoping for a 3d one or awesome 2d one. I don't like the idea of having 4 kirbys on screen like that GCN was.

JakobG

JakobG said:

I miss some Kirby action ever since I beat Squeak Squad.
Please make it happen.
That and StarFox.

PekoponTAS

PekoponTAS said:

I've been a Kirby fan long enough to know that Kirby will only appear on a console in platformer form in the last 2 years of a console's life. In fact, the Game Cube one was SO late that it didn't even make it out the door.

Also I've been a Kirby fan for 15 years, and never once have a heard Nintendo Power consider a Kirby game "a huge new title" I'm expecting the June announcement to be Pikmin. No way would Nintendo Power ever make a huge tease like that for a Kirby game.

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

From Nintendo Power:

Untitled
Untitled

It could happen.

(Sorry for stealing your picture, bbb7002004)

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

OMG, it's in space! Maybe it's actually Star Fox!

Who knows, we'll just have to wait for E3.

JimLad

JimLad said:

You had me up 'til Official Nintendo Magazine UK.
How would Nintendo Power know something massive is coming before the internet does?

MorriganIsHot

MorriganIsHot said:

I'll believe it when I see some screen shots or a trailer. until then I'm not getting excited over this. I hope it do happened and also they need to make a kirby dreamland 4 and another super star game.

winter123

winter123 said:

I always wanted the Kirby Tilt And Roll game (supposed to be on Gamecube in 2001). After 2 years delay, Kirby was dropped and it was called tiltorama or something with some generic pink marble. Then I think it was either never released, or terrible. Hopefully we will see a full 3D kirby game based on the 2d ones!

paulesungnomo

paulesungnomo said:

sounds good... although instead of speculating, you guys should snap up some of kirbys awesome older games: the amazing mirror, canvas curse, nightmare in dreamland and squeak squad are all there for the taking on ebay! those should hold us over until nintendo finally gets around to releasing this mythical new kirby.

ueI

ueI said:

I already played all those, so I have nothing to tide me over.

TJ_Spyke

TJ_Spyke said:

Um, EVERY Nintendo financial listing for the last 5 years has had this Kirby game listed.

So this article is just more baseless speculation, I came here expecting some info.

Lpimp

Lpimp said:

I really hope they make this one it fits with the four player wii games and its like superstar ultra in 2.5d or 3d with sidescroller