Galaxy 2 Bonus DVD Detailed, Definitely Won't Play on Wii

Posted by James Newton

It's like a manual, only it moves

Although early reviews suggest that Super Mario Galaxy 2 could well be the best thing since Super Mario Galaxy, Nintendo is well aware that some players didn't enjoy the original as much, finding it confusing and tough to control. That's why, as we previously reported, the highly anticipated follow-up will release with a bonus DVD easing players into the game as well as showing off some advanced moves for super players.

Interestingly, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata revealed one of the reasons behind the spherical levels was to make it more difficult for gamers to get lost. He also commented on the fact the DVD won't actually play in the Wii, claiming it may actually aid players as they could play the game and watch the guide videos simultaneously. Call us pessimistic, but if the DVD was intended to ease gamers into an often confusing 3D world, asking them to juggle multiple screens and two remotes might be a bit of a stretch.

[via andriasang.com]

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

In fairness, putting the tutorial on a separate disk beats the hell out of the forced two-minute "HERE'S HOW TO GENTLY SLIDE A WIIMOTE INTO THE MOTION+ RUBBERISED JACKET WHILST TRYING NOT TO MAKE RUDE JOKES" thing at the start of Wii Sports Resort.

Deviant_Mugen

Deviant_Mugen said:

It's not like you can't pause one or both screens as needed, James, especially since the levels in Galaxy have no timer... :P

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

Anyways this DVD bonus is pointless whereas I'd rather have a card, a plushy, or a key chain of something Mario oriented that will last me forever prior to a DVD that lasts anywhere between 5-20 minutes. But maybe that's just me.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

I don't think having the bonus disc playable on your Wii would make things easier, especially if you're going back and forth between playing the game and watching the bonus disc. The Wii can only hold one disc at a time. Would you rather have two systems (or a Wii and a DVD player) on and switch signals or swap discs? Although whatever is on the DVD probably should have been put in the game as something you could access any time if there's enough space left on the game disc.

"Nintendo is well aware that some players didn't enjoy the original as much, finding it confusing and tough to control."
See?! I'm not the only one!! Actually my main issue was getting Mario to backflip onto platforms he couldn't get to by jumping regularly.

JakobG

JakobG said:

Other M will feature a 256 MB SD--card that is stuffed with all sorts of Wiibrick-stuff.

Crystalking18

Crystalking18 said:

It was originally speculated to be only a Euro thing, so is it being released like this is North American too?

kevohki

kevohki said:

Yeah, you just know some people are going to put the DVD in their Wii and then call Nintendo to complain the DVD won't play. I personally can't wait to play my Mario Bonus DVD on my PS2 and watch my room fill with irony.

Also a Yoshi plush toy would have been a better bonus pack-in...

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

10: You could also use a PS3 or a XBOX360 :+ And it will even be upscaled to 1080p on those :p

motang

motang said:

Even after 3 and half years of owning the Wii I am still ticked off the fact that I can't play DVD movies on it, I wouldn't be so mad if it weren't promised and then not put. Especially considering the fact that they have sold so much Wii it's not like Nintendo didn't make money off them.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

They once said that they would release a DVD Video playing version off the Wii, the normal Wii itself would never have gotten the feature. (though HB has it)

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

:D LOL.... packaging a disc in a game that wont even play on the system the game comes from with the same disc format.... That is just funny!

Way to go Nintendo I guess this will give some gamers a reason to buy a DVD player...... that is if somebody somehow doesnt have one lol...... OMG this mean this could give Sony Buisness as they make DVD players.... Imagine that! :)

said:

I think is fair to see say so far that DVD playback on the wii is not as important as people want to believe. So seriously bringing a 3 year old dumb rant borders on the pathetic.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm not sure but isn't that Japanese written around the DVD on the box cover art? Wasn't this Europe only? I pre-ordered on Amazon over a month ago, the day they announced a $20 game credit, and I would certainly watch that DVD. My kids and I watch all the videos on the Nintendo Channel.

Aviator

Aviator said:

:D My TV can go split-screen and I could watch the DVD and play all at the same time. Thanks Ninty!!

tassakos

tassakos said:

Maybe nintendo thought they should add a dvd in the package because they saw that research of how many Wiis are online in the US and thought the small per centage was too frustrating.
Nintendo gives people that are online through Nintendo Channel videos with hints and tips. Anyhow i think it is a lame move, it's all a matter of proper education, learn how to connect your wii online among other things you have to learn :-P

Big_A2

Big_A2 said:

@Aviator: Yeah, most HDTVs can do that these days. Thank you Nintendo! I just don't see how you people can complain about having to have a DVD player to play the bonus disc. It's better than swapping Wii discs back and forth. Everyone with enough money to buy a Wii would have a DVD player. And who gives a crap if you can play it on a Sony or Microsoft device? You can also play the Pokemon anime DVDs on Playstation and Xbox too. I guess Nintendo is stupid for not making them Wii exclusive aswell.

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

So, they're saying that you should play the Wii like the DS if if you want to watch the DVD and play the game at the same time? How interesting.....

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

It wouldn't hurt the Wii to be able to play DVD movies without being hacked. Yes, I have other devices to play DVDs on, but the Wii is the system I prefer to travel with because it's small. And yes, there are places I sometimes go to that do not have DVD players.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

.... please tell me nobody actually took that post seriously, but Im guessing you did :)

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Nintendo would have to pay the rights for each wii sold to play DVD movies if they added that capability (They could have coded it as a game and made it playable from the game channel I guess).

Seriously though, DVD players are like $20. Complaining about this would have made sense in the GCN generation, but who didn't have a DVD player before buying a Wii?

paulcmnt

paulcmnt said:

Thanks to Team Twiizers and the MPlayer CE Team, this won't be a problem for me. ;)
EDIT: And yeah, Nintendo going even more softcore by releasing a guide for an already not-so-difficult game (assuming SMG2 will be similar to SMG). But hey, who can blame them, they make money! (No sarcasm.)

Chunky_Droid

Chunky_Droid said:

This could mean confirmation that they couldn't implement Super Guide into Mario Galaxy 2, perhaps it was too tough to code.

In any case, it's a nice addition for those who weren't that great at playing the game. At least Nintendo are trying to get casual gamers into the tougher, more serious side of things.

madgear

madgear said:

Why don't they just release a DVD channel in the Wii shop? Yes I've heard the "everyone owns a DVD player anyway" excuse but I'd be so much better to just have one small box under my TV. Also the Wii uses a damn remote anyway that'd be perfect for DVD playback - just like it works great on the iplayer.

jorenmartijn

jorenmartijn said:

| find this very ironic, because just the other I received my second-hand copy of The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker Limited Edition. The bonus disk of that game includes Ocarina of Time and Master Quest, but also quite a few trailers. :)
It's too bad they didn't make it Wii-compatible though, since I would like to operate the DVD menu with the Wiimote pointer. It would work so much better than those crappy DVD remotes.

SuperPeach

SuperPeach said:

I didn't like the first one because it was way too easy, I hope this doesn't mean this one will be even easier. :(

winter123

winter123 said:

Agreed with the article writer. If you can't figure out how to play a (IMO) very intuitive control scheme, you definitely won't have a tv next to a PC (for the DVD) and be able to work both simultaneously.

BlueFlameBat

BlueFlameBat said:

There were parts in the game where you'd have to have Mario back-flip or triple-jump onto a small area like a pillar. Continuously missing the small spot was a pain in the.

Fleeman

Fleeman said:

Honestly if they charged more because it came with the dvd then i would care but any expericened mario player is just going to pop the game in and never think twice about the dvd. I think the confusing and tough to control comment is the dumbest thing I have ever heard Mario runs and jumps it doesn't get much easier then that. I do think a new mario player might find it hard to figure out what to do when they just dump you into a new level with no idea of where to go I think if they maybe put in a tutorial world and handheld you through the first 3 stars to show you what you should be doing it would be perfect.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

@Chunky Droid:
Pretty sure superguide is in there. Didn't one of the trailers show it off? Some ghostly version of Rosalina showed up and said something like, "Looks like you're having trouble with this section. Would you like me to take over?" Then it showed off Mario running on autopilot.

Boonehams

Boonehams said:

I'd like the DVD is it was, oh, an hour long and showed some the cooler aspects of the game, had a fun montage highlight reel set to some good music and was generally entertaining. You know, stuff like this:
If the DVD's basically just a twenty minute (or less) tutorial... well, then, doesn't the game already have a tutorial in it? And aren't most people who are getting this already familiar with the first one? So what's the point of its existence?

Luigison

Luigison said:

I think the unspoken thing here is that the DVD could be given or at least shown to someone that doesn't have a Wii and might get one after watching it. Also, I could see hardcore gamers watching it in split screen while playing if it has content showing how to beat something like a 100 coin challenge in a given time.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Originally, I seem to recall that the Wii was supposed to have (legal) dvd functionality. Later, due to price of license, said feature was scrapped. Yet later still, it was announced that N was working w/ another co. to make a dvd peripheral for the Wii. This idea was also scrapped. Now, the Wii can, & always has been able to play dvds out of the box, just not legally.

@ Chunky Droid: That's quite an interesting, & probable possibility. On the other hand, maybe the Super Guide, & dvd are just 2 different types of guides. Or perhaps one is an extension of the other...

Either way, I am excited for the game.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@ Chicken Brutus: Oh yeah right. I forgot about that.

@ Chunky Droid: It's on the Nintendo Channel. You could probably find it on Youtube, too.

Sarick

Sarick said:

Considering the way things have recently been running Australian's should have no idea if they will get this or not. In fact recently we have been getting more and more American versions of games (Nintendo official ones). That said we have been getting the Europe packaging and manuals even if we get the US copy of the game. So it truly is an outcome based on luck alone.

That said Australians could always order this from the UK if the DVD is necessary addition to the package for them.