Chicago Blackhawks Prepare for Stanley Cup with a Little Mario Kart

Posted by James Newton

Blue shells part of team's mental readiness

Competitive team sports are all about bonding as a unit: maximising each other's unique abilities, communicating well and working together towards a common goal. Pretty much the opposite of Mario Kart Wii then, but tell that to the Chicago Blackhawks who like to chill out with the game as part of their Stanley Cup preparations.

It seems to be working pretty well for them so far, with one victory all that's needed to get the Blackhawks into the Finals, perhaps leading to a nationwide adoption of Mario Kart in all NHL teams' warm-ups. Check out The Tanooki for a video of the hirsute hockey heroes in action, and try not to snigger too loudly when they talk about "pre-game naps."

[via thetanooki.com]

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

They won't win. Hossa is a choke artist in big games and the young stars they have are going to be crushed under the weight of real competition. After all, they beat flaky teams to get there to begin with.

gblock

gblock said:

That's freakin awesome!!! I'd love to have that big of a group of people playing MKWii at once!

lockd

lockd said:

So that's why the Sharks coudn't beat them. Anyways, go Habs!

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

Go Blackhawks!

(Hey, if I have to watch the Cubs blow all season I'm jumping on the bandwagon for a winning Illinois team)

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Getting slammed with Blue Shells everytime you get in first place ticks them off and has them raging and pumped up to fight. Must work like a charm. Makes me want to beat the ...... out of someone evertime I get hit with one ;)

ShinRPGGamer

ShinRPGGamer said:

@MasterGraveheart so are you rooting for the flyers or the habs?

But seriously, could you imagine facing one of the blackhawk players online and thrashing them with blue shells or is it something I'm just thinking about since I read this article?