Catch Pokemon Black and White in North America Next Spring

Posted by James Newton

Update: European release also Spring 2011

It might be nearly a year away but Nintendo clearly wants to get the bandwagon rolling early for the next Pokémon game, announcing it's going to be released in North America in Spring 2011. Not only that, we also know two of the legendary Pokémon that'll feature in the game: Black owners can capture Reshiram and those who plump for White can catch the even more exotic-sounding Zekrom.

With the usual smattering of newly-discovered Pokémon, a new graphical style and hopefully plenty more features to be announced over the coming months, no doubt these next titles will get off to a similarly phenomenal sales start as their predecessors.

Here's the press release complete with more ™s than any Pokémon master could ever dream of.

New Legendary Pokémon Reshiram and Zekrom Grace Covers of New Releases

REDMOND, Wash.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Two new Pokémon™ games, Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version, for the Nintendo DS™ family of systems will be released in North America in spring 2011. Introducing a new storyline and the next generation of Pokémon, the new releases will feature the Legendary Pokémon Reshiram™ (Pokémon Black Version) and Zekrom™ (Pokémon White Version) on the game covers worldwide.

“Pokémon is a true worldwide franchise with legions of fans in every corner of the globe,” said Cammie Dunaway, Nintendo of America’s executive vice president of Sales & Marketing. “We know these fans will be thrilled to discover this new generation of Pokémon next year.”

The launch of Pokémon Black Version and Pokémon White Version follows the incredible consumer response to Pokémon HeartGold Version and Pokémon SoulSilver Version, which have sold more than 8.4 million units combined worldwide to date. The Pokémon video game series has sold more than 200 million units worldwide since it was first introduced 14 years ago.

WildPidgeyAppears

WildPidgeyAppears said:

Whatever happened to catchy sets of names like Ho-Oh and Lugia, Dialga and Palkia? These sound more like Final Fantasy monster names.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

The legendries feel like bad Hoax Pokemon where they just cut and paste parts from different Poke-(and sometimes Digi) mon

WildPidgeyAppears

WildPidgeyAppears said:

They're okay, but my favorite Legendary is/always will be Mewtwo. I'm leaning towards Black 'cause Zekrom looks cooler.

treyoshi

treyoshi said:

I wonder what the Spring 2011 release date means in relation to the 3DS? I guess these could be among the last major releases on DS prior to 3DS hitting N. America?

CharlieRod

CharlieRod said:

What colors could they come up with next? I forgot about black and white, and then they announced it and was like "oh ya...", but what other colors? Magenta and the opposite blue color(i don't know what it's called)?

AVahne

AVahne said:

Whoa, the legendaries actually look pretty damn cool!

Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina were huge disappointments to me after the awesomeness of G3 and G2 legends. They have officially made it up to me. Especially since these look like dragon types!

Percentful

Percentful said:

I'm glad that these actually represent the games well. When I saw palkia and dialga, I didn't really think "diamond and pearl", and giratina wasn't related to platinum at all. These really do look black and white.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I hope these games come out on the 3DS. I had heard it was supposed to come out this year, so it would be odd if perhaps the largest portable franchise came out on what will become an outdated (though still great) system (DS, DS lite, DSi, DSiXL). The vague-ness of "DS Family" mentioned in the article really doesn't help... After all, don't the original Game Boy and the Game Boy Micro all belong to the Game Boy Familly?

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

The backround in the picture is screwing me up. I can't tell if the black one will be in the Black version or since the backround is white if it will be in White version.

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

Man, I'm totally all about Reshiram... but will the colored legendaries be in OPPOSITE colors or the same? It looks like opposite by the promo.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

The legendaries are in the opposite colour game - ie, the white Reshiram is in Black version, and the black Zekrom is in White version.
Here's some high-quality views of them:
Reshiram
Zekrom

N3vergreen

N3vergreen said:

They better not be like 400 ft. tall...... :(
The legendaries are getting too rediculously huge.

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

Yeah, whatever, call me when grey or whatever the special 3rd edition is called comes out.

Mizore

Mizore said:

...Legendaries look...a little too similar...>_>
Still getting Black though, lol.

TLink9

TLink9 said:

I think it is ironic, I mean put the black one with black and the white with white. Now I am getting white.
EDIT: wait that looks like the evolution of that one fire guy, they need better ideas.

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

Man, I have to get white now! I thought noa would anounce black and white like a month away from release, like they normally do.

Sonomin

Sonomin said:

I think that they look ok(better than Dialga and Palkia, yet not as good as Ho-oh or Lugia)

Sonomin

Sonomin said:

I pondered on which game to get, and now i've concluded that I shall get Black.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Oh, God. It just keeps getting worse and worse. First with those BUTT UGLY starter Pokemon and now they're adding insult to injury with these BUTT UGLY legendaries. .

I know character designers come and go, but these Pokemon don't do the series justice. I've seen fan made Pokemon that look infinitely better than what we've seen of Gen V so far. Maybe I'll be convinced otherwise once we see some more Pokemon, but I'm not keeping my hopes up.

Sean007s

Sean007s said:

I think they look rather ugly.
They probably are running out of designs at this stage.

Better to just bring in some of Nintendo's main designers to help out.
How hideously looking can they get?

Bobpie

Bobpie said:

I think the Legendaries look AMAZING, and even though I wanted White (I like the Colour White :P), I am going to get Black now - I prefer Reshiram. (Confusing for a second there which one was in which game... :P)

EDIT:Has anyone noticed that Zekrom looks a bit like Garchomp?

kevohki

kevohki said:

By the look of those two legendaries, it seems someone spilled some Digimon into my Pokemon.

Rerun

Rerun said:

Pokemon has always been a pre-order title for me. This one isn't any different. Plus I want evolutions of Shuckle, Absol, Miltank and Sableye!

metakirbyknight

metakirbyknight said:

@ #2 wildpidgeyappears
These are the Japanese names, I bet they'll get better names in America and Europe.

Ho-oh= Houou
Lugia= Lugia
Dialga= Diaruga
Palkia= Parukia

Ho-oh and Lugia's Japanese names are okay, mostly because they're pretty much the same. But Palkia's and Dialga's Japanese names sound like something your doctor would diagnose you with.

Knux

Knux said:

These are the version exclusive legendaries? I'll wait until there is more info before making my judgement, but right now they look kinda lame. We also have enough dragon legendaries for the last four generations, could we have something different Nintendo?

TheBaconator

TheBaconator said:

I don't know which to get. Normally I go with the underdog color.(Pearl, Heart gold) but so far people's opinions are too evenly matched.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

@54: Actually Gen 3 was the first gen to have a Dragon-type Legendary Pokémon:
Gen 1: Mewtwo (Psychic)
Gen 2: Ho-oh (Fire/Flying), Lugia (Psychic/Flying)
Gen 3: Groudon (Ground), Kyogre (Water), Rayquaza (Dragon/Flying)
Gen 4: Dialga (Steel/Dragon), Palkia (Water/Dragon), Giratina (Ghost/Dragon)

:P

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

@54 "These are the version exclusive legendaries?"
If they do it like in HG/SS, then they may both be catchable in both versions.

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I'm really surprised as to how Pokemon USA just blatantly announced these games. I think it was a bit too early to even do so- at least when it comes to the US shores, not Japan.

What I really want is Multi Battle Online... Please do this Gamefreak! D:

Alias

Alias said:

I just stay away from Pokemon. It looks like the developers just slap a new name on the same formula. I don't get why long-time fans buy each new edition when it comes out. All it is is the same decent Pokemon game.

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

@61
"I don't get why long-time fans buy each new edition when it comes out."
...because we are long-time fans, who (as opposed to people who aren't) love the series.
" All it is is the same decent Pokemon game." You admit it is at least decent, at least :P

OMG_FLUFF

OMG_FLUFF said:

zekrom is dragon electric (i know right? awesome!!) and rashiram is dragon fire (and isn't weak to water) there's 30+ new pokemon (mijumaru, tsutarja and pokabu are the starters) and there is possibly a luvdisc evo. and u can get a psychic type right away to called munna (me and my friends call it the pink egg pokemon with the flowery butt XD) get ur serebii.net on!

theemperor

theemperor said:

@57.... And everyone.
The reason you get the white guy in black and the black guy in white is because it is suppose to resemble the yin yang symbol