PC Indie Games Compilation Coming to DSiWare in Earnest

Posted by Jon Wahlgren

Passage, Gravitation and Between bundle up

Another day, another game outed by its ESRB rating.

Today brings the news that Sabarasa (most recently behind Save the Turtles) will be publishing the DSiWare compilation Alt-Play: Jason Rohrer Anthology, which will include Rohrer's indie games Passage, Gravitation and Between (pictured).

The term "game" might be something of a misnomer, as these are not so much games in the traditional sense as they are attempts at interactive art. In Passage, for example, you guide an avatar down what appears to be a linear path. Sounds basic, but there's more to it than that.

If you'd like, you can download all of these for free at Rohrer's Web site for Windows, OS X and Linux. Passage is also available on the iTunes App Store.

The Alt-Play label leads us to believe that Sabarasa will be putting out compilations of other indie developers in the future. Are there any other indies in particular you'd like to see get this DSiWare treatment?

[via esrb.org]

Discipledoctor

Discipledoctor said:

But seriously, on a compelty unrelated note that probably will get this message deleted, Super Meat Boy needs to come out soon.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

@Chicken: By your article's own admission, I cannot finishing reading it as I have some interest whatsoever in playing the game but cannot do so at this time due to not being on a computer.

Anyway, collections of weird indie games sounds like a pretty cool idea to me! i just hope the price is right.

Terra

Terra said:

Never heard of these games before. I'll probably download the PC versions at some point

ejamer

ejamer said:

This is an awesome idea for DSiWare. It couldn't be a retail title because the cost would prevent it for be worthwhile to most people... but having a bundle of these cool "experience" games available in your pocket is a really neat idea. If I had a DSi, then I would buy this.

EdEN

EdEN said:

It will probably be priced at 500-800 points since the "games" themselves aren't that long.

Maxsh

Maxsh said:

YESSSSSSS.
This massively entertains me. Now we just need the recently released Sleep is Death.

Oh, and I'd like a Matt Thorson Anthology. That'd be pretty interesting.

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

I'd love to see a Nifflas compilation - Knytt Stories, Within A Deep Forest, etc (although given that Nifflas is a member of Nicalis, if we see a compilation of his games it'll more likely be from them rather than Sabarasa)

HvE

HvE said:

I would of course want a DSiWare version of Cave Story, one of my favourite indie games.

GrangeGrover

GrangeGrover said:

I'd like to see these on WiiWare, as they aren't enough reason to spring for a replacement for my still tip-top DS. Anyway, everyone should check out these games on the PC regardless of whether you buy the DSI versions. They won't win any GOAT awards but they do make you think, and even feel.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Glad to see DSiWare getting Independent Releases. Will wait for reviews and more users comments to buy, but nonetheless its good to see Independent Devs finally jumping on the DSiWare Ship.

cheapogamer4life

cheapogamer4life said:

Depending on how well this title does it may open up the flood gates for indie games to make the way to the DSiware shop. This could work...

SmaMan

SmaMan said:

Just tried a couple of these out. Interesting stuff... not sure if I would pay too much for it.

After looking at his other stuff, I think they should port over "Sleep is Death." That would work a bit better on DSiWare.

Jampony

Jampony said:

Sleep Is Death would be the best DSiWare game ever. Someone please port it! I'd happily pay 800 points.