Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 Could Be On Its Way

Posted by Damien McFerran

New crossover fighter in the works?

You can file this one under rumour for the time being but there are a few interesting signs which indicate that Capcom may be working on a third title in the popular Marvel Vs. Capcom series.

According to a source at Team Spooky, Capcom is going to announce the game this year. Your gut instinct may be to call BS on such a prediction, but you should know that this same poster also correctly predicted the Super Street Fighter IV roster last year.

To add more fuel to the flames, Kotaku's interview with Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars producer Ryota Niitsuma from a while back hints at a possible future instalment in the Vs. franchise:

I would love to do more versus series, more types of games like Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. There are all of these possibilities working with other companies, seeing what we could do with them. There are so many game companies I'd love to work with. If sales are really good (for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars) then you can see an announcement within this year.

While that obviously falls well short of being an official confirmation of anything at all, it does prove that Capcom is receptive to the idea of more games in the series, and we're pretty sure that Marvel likes money enough to consider being involved with such a venture. The recent XBLA and PSN release of the second title certainly proves that the two companies are willing to do business.

The most exciting aspect of all this is that with Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultimate All-Stars proving to be something of a critical success on the Wii, Capcom may even consider bringing this third Marvel Vs. Capcom title to the Wii - if it actually turns out to exist in the first place, that is.

[via kotaku.com, teamspooky.com]

ReZon

ReZon said:

Odds are that if/when MvC3 does come out, Nintendo consoles will not be an option.

Crystalking18

Crystalking18 said:

My only question is the rosters, and the release date, and also the graphics. I thought the sprites of MvC2 were great, and it was the one game I wished I owned. That being said, I hope it comes out soon though, and can top the previous 50+ characters. But still, add some new ones to the mix, like say..... Ameterasu, Yami, Mega Man X, Sigma, Alaster, and from the Marvel side, any new spiderman villain, and in a special appearance, Stan Lee. He was in Ultimate Alliance 2, so why not?

moomoo

moomoo said:

I wonder if Disney will let them, seeing that Marvel is owned by Disney now. Or maybe they don't want Marvel at all. That seems like it, anyway.

TwilightV

TwilightV said:

I don't want an MvsC3. I hate most modern Marvel VA's. XP

Would be awesome to see a whole new IP enter the fray though. :)

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

I will be happy if its on the Wii.

If not, I at least want Marvel 1 and 2 on the Wii.

if not, flower capcom.

Rhansley64

Rhansley64 said:

Awesome news knowing Tatsunoko VS CAPCOM is doing well in the "lake of success on third party sales on Wii well Just Dance and this proved you just need a great title not Shovelware Mini-Game to be successful in the Wii Market.

Acidfoxdyi831

Acidfoxdyi831 said:

omg if this comes to wii
id much rather play this then street fighter
please let tvc b selling well PLEASE!!!

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

I certainly hope it's true. I can't say I trust the sources at all, but at most, I'm hopeful.

darklinkinfinite

darklinkinfinite said:

For some reason, I doubt this'll come to the Wii even if it is true.

According to VGChartz (take your grain of salt accordingly), Tatsunoko vs Capcom has sold roughly 220k units so far, which is about 1/3 of what each port of Street Fighter IV sold on the PS3 and 360 after the same amount of time on the market.

I wish I knew how Capcom would take sales figures like that. I mean, the game has at least outsold BlazBlue (which I compare to only because BB is a new IP and most people haven't heard of half of TvC's roster) and Mortal Kombat Armageddon on the Wii (which sold roughly half as many copies, which probably explains why MKvsDCU wasn't released on Wii) after the same amount of time on the market.

BabylonSith

BabylonSith said:

No thanks TvC is enough for me try coming up with new game ideas capcom...MKvDCU was dumb and garbage which is why it sold on the xbox360/ps3 most of those gamers buy almost anything along as it looks pretty while hardcore games like blazblue sit on shelves.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

This is possibly the only established versus series I'd be interested in (besides another Tatsunoko game with an expanded roster), but I'd really need to see people like Iron Fist, Luke Cage and other "b-listers" in there (Doctor Strange would be fantastic - magic and martial arts in one package!).

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

@Sean Aaron Would you not like to see another iteration of Capcom vs. SNK, or SNK vs. Capcom, by either of the two developers, as well mate?

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

I don't think there will be a Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (for some reason capcom never like making a third sequel to any of the vs. series) unless if Disney agree for Capcom to use the license Marvel characters again. A Tatsunoko vs. Capcom 2 is possible though, how Capcom will managed to fight license issues for the newer Tatsunoko characters to get the game to release in NA is another story.

Kirk

Kirk said:

If they did a Marvel Vs Capcom 3 on Wii with the same graphical style of T Vs C that would be very cool imo.

metaknave

metaknave said:

Woah! If this is true, then that would be amazing. I would like to see Jean Gray, Ms. Marvel, Nick Fury, and the Silver Surfer from Marvel side. :)

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@JamieO: I'm not that big a fighting game fan, so a game featuring characters from two different fighting game franchises doesn't mean much to me. A fighting game with Tatsunoko or Marvel characters does.

I'd settle for a fighting game with Namco characters like Mr. Driller and Wondo Momo in it though (I've been told there's some kind of dungeon exploration game with Capcom and Namco characters on the PS2, so the precedence is there to enable it).

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Capcom dont have a license with marvel anymore though. Its expired.

Only for retail games. Downloadable games are fine. Thats how Marvel vs. Capcom 2 got released last year. As others had mentioned, I would not expect a sequel to use Marvel vs. Capcom 2 as the basis and instead would probably use Tatsunoko vs. Capcom as the basis. For that reason, I wouldn't expect the character list to beat that of Marvel vs. Capcom 2. Although I am a fan of the series, I'll wait until we see actual pics before getting excited for the game. It still may turn out to be false.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

@Sean Aaron Fair enough mate, I hear you. I think that it is cool that we all reach that point where we know precisely what games we like.

There is nothing wrong with everyone having their own personal favourite genres. I am not massively enthusiastic about rhythm action, tower defence, turn based strategy and complicated puzzle games. I realised a long time ago that I am an arcade gamer. Give me a racer, a shooter, run-and-guns, scrolling beat-'em-ups, or a fast paced platformer and I am buzzing like a bee in a honey pot. lol.

Was the game that you were referring to called Namco x Capcom?

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

I call BS. Capcom does not have the right to retail Marvel games anymore, plus a Wii release is still unlikely.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@JamieO: Yep that's the one - actually if they hadn't recently made some comment about not porting more PS2 games to the Wii I'd like to see that one!

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

Due to the storage limits of the WII I hope to hell it doesnt come onto WIIWARE and goes to xbox live and psn.

Also hope that its capcom vs snk 3.

JamieOStaff

JamieO said:

@Sean Aaron You know I can not even remember if PS2 Namco x Capcom made it to the other regions, e.g. PAL, US, Brazil, Australia etc.

You are right, there is something about the flamboyant character celebration and design of that game, which would make a nice fit for the Wii.

**** Edit @bro2dragons comment (below) made me think more about how likely the prospect of this actually is. I understand the licensing issues, but I think that the actual content of Marvel vs. Capcom 3 would similarly make a nice fit for Wii. Especially if Tatsunoko vs. Capcom has set a precedent for the crossover fighter genre on Wii, by selling well.

Then again I could be making a fool of myself here, because I have not looked at any actual sales figures! I am only presuming that it sold well, based upon its critical acclaim. D'oh. ****

bro2dragons

bro2dragons said:

if it came, i'd bet money (not really... just saying that to express strength of emotino :P) it wouldn't come to Wii in any form ever. we got Tatsunoko, so as far as most companies are concerned, they've paid us their dues, so now they can go give the other consoles everything else without feeling guilty about it.

Objection

Objection said:

I'd be really happy for a MvC3 in any form...provided those forms include PS3 or Wii. ;) I liked Tatsunoko but wasn't huge on the roster, so I wouldn't get another. And SNK does nothing for me.

JoeDiddley

JoeDiddley said:

I only recently got MvC2 and it's great.
I wont hold my breath for now. First the game needs to get made. Then it needs to be released on the Wii. I don't have a ps3 or xbox360.

madgear

madgear said:

Oh Capcom could get Marvel licence - I don't see why they wouldn't be able to since every company that has had it after them have churned out abysmal games at best.

I don't see why games companies are treated differently to movie companies. Multiple movie studios can acquire the rights to marvel characters but only one games company? Sort it out!

donx998

donx998 said:

That would be so cool to see a new marvel vs capcom series i would like to see Sean Sagat Guy Yun Cody and some more darkstalker chars in it and originals moves that they took out like chun li's mid air special and ryu turning into dark ryu in the middle of a fight and morrigans missile special and other secret chars they took out like super warmachine and shadow lady and norimaro

astarisborn94

astarisborn94 said:

@madgear: From what I can recall, multiple video game companies hold the licensing rights to certain Marvel characters, which would make licensing issues a nightmare. This is why we should be glad that we even had Tatsunko Vs. Capcom.

Rerun

Rerun said:

I just love fighting games in general. If this happens, so be it. I'll just keep on believing.

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

Iron man Sega
Spiderman Activision
Hulk Universal interactive
Wolverine Activision

Still think its marvel vs capcom 3 lol. Will capcom approach these companies.

What they need to do is release Capcom VS Snk 3 or release 2 on wiiware which I cant imagine so release on PSN and Xbox live.

Sorry guys but being a wii owner its clear as to why people prefer the HD systems.

Blazblue, Street Fighter 4, Outrun, Afterburner Climax, Mass Effect, Forza, Yakuza, Heavy Rain, Final Fantasy.

Maxsh

Maxsh said:

@outrun2sp: Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was made using the Street Fighter 4 engine, so the Wii could handle that. Blazblue has a game coming out for the PSP - while it's not Nintendo, it's not exactly "HD" either. And for the rest of the games, they can keep their generic borefests (I'm looking at you, Heavy Rain and FFVIII).

outrun2sp

outrun2sp said:

They should have released blazblue on WII.

Essentially the dreamcast would have been able to run it.

Deep game though im loving it.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

MvC 2 is one of my all time favourite games. I'd love no.3 on the Wii, but it seems to good to be true....

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

I noticed some people on here posting TvC saled data... from VG Chartz. Those are completely made up lol.

Capcom said they are pleased with TvC sales an its been successful. So they'd be shooting themselves in the foot if they didn't put more fighters on Wii.